USF loses to UNLV

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

My thoughts about this team right now are that it may be marginally better than last year, but still has a long way to go to be competitive in the Big East.  The Big East is the basis of comparison.  Not the Buffalos and Norfolk States of the basketball world.

Bozeman looks to be a real steal and can be an exciting go to guy for the future.  I think this was a good tournament to measure where we are.  Can't use the 3 games in 3 days excuse because all teams in the tourney did that.  

As I said, maybe marginally better than last year.  Bozeman + Verdejo replaces Holmes' points.  Gransberry looks to be picking up some of the defense (big shoes to fill there) for Solomon.  If we would have played UNLV down to the wire or TAMU down to the wire it would have been more encouraging.  At this point I don't see the quantuum leaps necessary to be competitive in the Big East.  I see maybe 3 or 4 wins in conference play.  Marginally better than last year ain't gonna cut it.  You have to be realistic.  The Big East is a very, very difficult conference to play in night in and night out.  Even if/when Howard returns, don't count on him to be the saviour for this year.  First of all, he still has yet to set foot on an NCAA BB court.  He is still coming off two major injuries and even at best it's going to be a learning curve against competition known to eat up Freshman PGs.  

Better than last year?  Probably.  Good enough to compete in the BE?  Probably not.

Thank you.  That was a though out, well worded opinion.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smazza

• Bullpride08

• Bull Matrix

• flsportsfan83

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,759
  • Content Count:  17,675
  • Days Won:  13

Does anyone think that 3 games in 3 nights mightve had something to do with it? This team has been playing once a week since the beginning of the season. It couldve been a factor.

If you can present a reply without your hate Mac OR love Mac bias, I'd love to hear whatcha think?

The other teams had 3 games in 3 nights as well. And 2 of our best players are rested to say the least.

This excuse is weak.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

Does anyone think that 3 games in 3 nights mightve had something to do with it? This team has been playing once a week since the beginning of the season. It couldve been a factor.

If you can present a reply without your hate Mac OR love Mac bias, I'd love to hear whatcha think?

The other teams had 3 games in 3 nights as well. And 2 of our best players are rested to say the lease.

This excuse is weak.

There is a fine line between rest and rust. It is one thing to practice, but a game setting is a whole different monster. Just ask the Indianapolis Colts last year. I think the real problem is still our depth. Our top 6 or 7 guys can run with the best of them, the problem is players 7-10. I am hoping that when Howard and Cann return we will have the full compliment of talent and depth we need to compete in the BE.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Sheriff,

You are mistaken because this is freakin Las Vegas that we are talking about here. I know that I would have been staying out pretty late in Vegas if I were on that team. Maybe, USF had too much partying in Vegas??

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Our top 6 or 7 players can run with the best of them? ;D

Our problem is players 7-10??? LOL. What team are you watching?

No rest, players 7-10, transfers, injuries...Save the excuses; it's very clear where the blame should/will fall.

Happy Hanukkah,

Rueb

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

I get really tired of the negative posts that offer no insight.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Our top 6 or 7 players can run with the best of them? ;D

Our problem is players 7-10??? LOL. What team are you watching?

No rest, players 7-10, transfers, injuries...Save the excuses; it's very clear where the blame should/will fall.

Happy Hanukkah,

Rueb

I've watched all the USF games on the road trip.  Gransberry is a man among boys.  UNLV had some big athletic post players and he was an unstoppable rebounding force with 17.  His defense was good too, however some questionable early calls got him into foul trouble, and with Aris Williams hurt, and the 'do nothing' Richarson backing him up Gransberry had no other choice but to play off.  

Similarly Verdejo has an amazing first step and is THE most explosive dribble penetrator i've seen as a bull since Atkins.  However with limited inside scoring teams were dropping down.  He had two amazing assists, both no look passes.  Zeus needs to get more comfortable waiting for the game to come to him, but he's a player.

Buckley, Mr. Do everything a solid rebounder, and shooter.  I think he'll settle in better in his role at #3 scorer.

Mattis- got into foul trouble early and never recovered.

No that assessment is spot on.  Last night against UNLV in the first half our team ran and out-played them.  But with Aris Williams out, Capko getting hurt, and Mattis playing injured the team had no legs.  Further that there was only one legit PG on the court in the 2nd half, Bozeman, and he was in foul trouble with 4 but had to play the entire 2nd half, he had no legs to shoot in the last 10 minutes and couldn't defend, but the coaches couldn't protect him because they had no bench, unless we wanted Eddie Lovett bringing the ball up the court.

Gransberry was a beast, 11 frickin rebounds in the first half alone, but the only guy backing him up was Richardson who did almost nothing in the game but pick-up fouls.  So what did we have in the last 12 minutes when the Bulls were only down 44-46?  A big man with no legs that was wore out and in foul trouble because he had no help.

Why Saaka only got 19 minutes is beyond me but coach ran Buckley and Verdejo ragged... maybe because outside of those two, and Bozeman we have no outside shooter?

This team of Gransberry, Verdejo, Mattis, Buckley, and Bozeman is a very strong starting five, sprinkle in Saaka and Williams and that's not a bad 7.  But last night that wasn't enough with Williams hurt, Mattis hobbling, so what you then had was 5 against a UNLV team that goes 8-9 deep, and anyone off the bench was either a walk-on, or a glorified walk-on (richardson).

You can blame coach for recruiting and not having the depth to compete for 40 minutes.  But after three games in three days, with the limited bench we had, and compounding the issue with the injuries it's amazing we fared as well as we did against UNLV for as long as we did.  The problem is we're missing two key ingredients, another legit post/big man to spell Gransberry and Williams (Richardson barely counts), and another shooter that can dribble the ball and score (Capko doesn't count he can't do any of those three good) the hope is Howard can be that guy soon.  Sadly, this team is one big man away and a shooter/ball handler (might be addressed with Howards return- he dressed for last nights game) from being a pretty decent squad, but once Williams or Gransberry gets injured or in foul trouble that leaves ONE GUY to man the true post and those big boy's get tired.

This is a 7, maybe 8 man team when Howard returns.  The problem is that's just not enough, one bit of foul trouble, or an injury and this team is handicapped like last night.  The players battled but with no help, in foul trouble early and no bench protection they were doomed from the start.  Starting five versus starting five though USF compares favorably.

And herein lies the problem with CRM, what year can we expect a full roster?  As it stands we've only signed one player, with what appears to be a certain transfer from Aaron Holmes.  Uh, we still need at least two post guys since Gransberry graduates after next year, and this team is still already short one post player....

As far as players go anyone insulting the first 7-8 are ignorant to the hoops world.  As far as the coach goes the fact those first 7-8 is all we have to play with rests squarely on his shoulders.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

The $50,000 trip to Italy is really paying off.  Our team is so much closer, and Mac is doing such better things with them as compared to last year.  I mean we lost to tamcc by fewer points this year, then last so I guess we are improving.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

I have watched alot of college basketball and many many teams only go 7 or 8 deep and do just fine.  Duke a few years ago really only went 7 deep but had great success.  If we have a good seven deep we should do fine this year.  They just need to be coached to realize that they have to be in the game and can not have foolish fouls.  So if you believe that we really go 7 deep with good players you should expect 5 or 6 wins in the BE this year.  Like I said already the BE is down and this would be our chance to make it to MSG( I think 6 gets us there mabe even 5).  I for one don't think we have the experience or senior driven "team" to make it.  To many new parts to this team.  Maybe they will really jell by the end of the year.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I have watched alot of college basketball and many many teams only go 7 or 8 deep and do just fine.  Duke a few years ago really only went 7 deep but had great success.  If we have a good seven deep we should do fine this year.  They just need to be coached to realize that they have to be in the game and can not have foolish fouls.  So if you believe that we really go 7 deep with good players you should expect 5 or 6 wins in the BE this year.  Like I said already the BE is down and this would be our chance to make it to MSG( I think 6 gets us there mabe even 5).  I for one don't think we have the experience or senior driven "team" to make it.  To many new parts to this team.  Maybe they will really jell by the end of the year.

That's true and not true dabull...first this encompasses more than just the game it also includes practices.  This isn't a case of guys getting pushed by the other 7 players and these 8 guys are simply the most outstanding of the bunch.  No, we really only have around 8 legit high level DI players.  They're a very good 8, but not really elite like Duke, and certainly get no support during practice to improve.  

Second, it's also the make-up that makes a difference on teams that go 7 deep, most probably have 1 legit center, but 4 guys that are 6-8 or bigger, and 4 guys that can play the guard and small forward situation.  In USF's situation we only have 2 legit post players, one that really isn't a pure post in Aris, more of a PF/swing, and the 2nd is Gransberry a complete back to the backboard guy.  Different players, not interchangeable although they're forced to be, and no back-ups to help.  The next line of defense behind those two is 6-6 'do nothing' Richardson- at best a mid-major PF.  

Third it's the problem that one of the best players is injured- Howard.  Right now with only 7 legit D1 players, we're really relegated to one PG, and two walk-ons to fill the gaps who clearly aren't in the freshman's zip code in terms of ability.  How does that help a team, you've got a PG bringing it up who can score, dribble penetrate and does nice passing, then suddenly in walks a walk-on who can barely keep the ball away from the defense, needs help from teammates just to execute the offense, and isn't much of a threat to score or make inspiring passes-- it's hard to maintain momentum, and consistency when the level of talent on the court varies by substitution.

After seeing what i witnessed last night I do believe a few things.  First, once these guys have had a chance to play together more they will improve, Verdejo is smooth in everything he does, Gransberry is going to blow-up all the USF rebounding numbers, he'll probably average this year 12+, Buckley should start settling in to his more desired roll of being an outside shooter, and swing man, and Mattis is starting to get comfortable with being more of a wing then having to come out and front the basket.  If Howard comes back we can put away Capko, great kid, not really helping anymore to improve the team he's more of a tredding water solution.   Once that happens this will be a solid team, probably good enough for 14 wins maybe, but with no depth one personal foul issue in a game or injury and this team falls back.  Last night with only 7 guys, 6 really since Mattis was hurt, and playing a third game in three nights in higher altitude then they're accustom to play they were dog tired, and rightfully so.  They ran with UNLV for a half and then some but wilted at the end.