A Look at the 2007 O-Line

E.T.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

If a guy's size doesn't matter on the o-line very much, why don't we use some of our WR's there?  We have so much depth there that we couldn't possibly use everyone!

::)

Strength and ability has more to do with playing Center than weight. Obviously ... he won the starting job for a reason.

For the record, some though McCaskill could push for the job as a True FR last year, so we'll see what he can do in 2007.

Hope he tips the scale to satisfy you.  :P

When we have a more talented guy to take the job, it will change ... always has.

[highlight]You just want to complain without facts backing it up. [/highlight]

[smiley=snore.gif]

So you say...............but I'm guessing you won't own up to your own complaining about fans like myself who do not accept virtually every situation and circumstance as a positive one.

So, in your line of reasoning, those who complain about things you think are fine are being unreasonable.  But when you complain about others' opinions as being negative, it's all good.

Right on there, bucko! ::)

Anyhow, yes he won the starting job for a reason........it's called starting by default.  He's done a decent job, but he's probably the least proficient center in the Big East.  I admit it's hard to back that kind of statement up, but it's my opinion.  I don't expect you to agree, and it won't hurt my feelings if you don't.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E.T.

• Bullpride08

• BowlBoundBulls

• ksquire

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Rather bit of a joke of anyone questioning Griffin.  [highlight]Once told in the spring the staff felt he had the chance to be one of the best.[/highlight]  You do realize that was his first start?  If the guy did grade 83% in his first start, against the athletes MSU had on the DL then that's pretty darn impressive.  

A 93% grading is a joke because it's a subjective rating system, do you even know how the grading works?  It would mean that Griffin almost completely shut-out the opposition and never surrendered a tackle, or lost a block.  Come on, for a RS-SOPH in his first start?  The reality is if he did make an 83% that's great.  

The funny thing is once Griffin got hurt after the UCF game the OL took about 3 weeks to get back in sync.   That should tell you something.

Hmmmm.......and yet he couldn't even beat out a 260 some odd pound Nick Capogna for the center spot?  Something doesn't add up.

Listen, I hope Griffin does turn out to be a road grader like I thought he would.  All I've been saying is that he didn't show me much against the 1-AA competition.

Come on are you going to make it this easy, it's because Griffin is NOT A CENTER.  The staff didn't want him at center, they were hoping Capogna would be ready to play, and that McCaskill/Schmidt would provide ample replacement.   Capogna's been playing center for USF for three years, it's a testiment to Griffin's ability that he was pushing Nick at center to the point he nearly beat him out.  

The real situation last year was at the Uconn game Miller got injured and our team was hurting because we had all four TE's hurt in that game and Copogna had to slide over.  At that point we had no other player with center experience and we moved Beef over to play.  The coaches wanted to have at least three players capable to start at center from here forward.  When we started the year the plan was to have Griffin capable of sliding over, and Capogna to start.  Given the fact Griffin spent over half of the spring and fall prepping at center and yet still started as a guard is ALSO VERY IMPRESSIVE.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

[highlight]You put too much into a guy's weight.[/highlight]

Nick has experience and we needed a Guards and he was out almost half the season ...  

yup, wonder why he didn't win the job.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  Capogna's lack of size played a significant role at times this year.

If a guy's size doesn't matter on the o-line very much, why don't we use some of our WR's there?  We have so much depth there that we couldn't possibly use everyone!

When did it play a significant role this time?  Do tell given this team had long stretches of not surrendering sacks, and the center-QB exchange has been impeccible.  

First grading, now necessary weight to be effective you're authority on the OL is amazing.

ET is accurate, that relatively speaking weight isn't an enormous factor, of course Dan Mozes at WVU is the all-american center and he is 6-3 290lbs, a WHOLE 15LBS BIGGER THAN NICK!  

It's leverage, it's timing, it's strength....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,798
  • Content Count:  38,264
  • Days Won:  29

I certainly hope one of the other centers steps in and takes command of that position.  I just haven't seen much out of Capogna.  Still too small.

[smiley=smiley_up.gif] This is an opinion and I had no problem with it.  [smiley=smiley_up.gif]

I didn't even want to address the "size" issue  ::)

But your statement I replied to was a false statement, not an opinion.

Just watched the 1st half and graded him at 83%

...  What would Coach Frey do without you.

Much better  8-) That's why I'm not helping him  ;)

Guest JulmisteForPrez
[highlight]You put too much into a guy's weight.[/highlight]

Nick has experience and we needed a Guards and he was out almost half the season ...  

yup, wonder why he didn't win the job.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  Capogna's lack of size played a significant role at times this year.

When did it play a significant role this time?  Do tell given this team had long stretches of not surrendering sacks, and the center-QB exchange has been impeccible.  

First grading, now necessary weight to be effective you're authority on the OL is amazing.

ET is accurate, that relatively speaking weight isn't an enormous factor, of course Dan Mozes at WVU is the all-american center and he is 6-3 290lbs, a WHOLE 15LBS BIGGER THAN NICK!  

It's leverage, it's timing, it's strength....

If Capogna is 275, Grothe is 220.

By the way, I don't know why I have felt the need to defend my opinion to you two, E.T. and Bien.  Anyone's opinion that does not suggest every facet of every USF athletic program is without flaw is unacceptable in your eyes.

Makes for a good laugh sometimes, though.

...  Anyone's opinion that does not suggest every facet of every USF athletic program is without flaw is unacceptable in your eyes.

Read what you want to read and believe what you want . . .  ;D

Guest JulmisteForPrez
...  Anyone's opinion that does not suggest every facet of every USF athletic program is without flaw is unacceptable in your eyes.

Read what you want to read and believe what you want . . .  ;D

And you do the same there, fella!  

That's what I love about the U.S.A.  Freedom to think as you choose.

To quote Yakov Smirnoff, "WHAT A COUNTRY!!"

Show me where I defend our running, kicking game ...

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Show me where I defend our running, kicking game ...

Sure.....let me go and spend a few hours of my day on researching "E.T." posts over the past four months.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.  ::)