Pirates still buzzing about bowl matchup

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not counting "small college bowls" as one of your fans described them.  That would be like counting 1-AA playoffs now.

You can't quote 46 years and then not count the bowls we went to in those 46 years.  We quit the Southern Conference after winning it in 1976 and went to a bowl in 1978.  Also, we didn't field a team from 1942-45 because of the war, so we were ineligible for a bowl in those years.  :P

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• windbane

• Kyle76

• upperdeck

• USFMikeB

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I'm not counting "small college bowls" as one of your fans described them.  That would be like counting 1-AA playoffs now.

You can't quote 46 years and then not count the bowls we went to in those 46 years.  We quit the Southern Conference after winning it in 1976 and went to a bowl in 1978.  Also, we didn't field a team from 1942-45 because of the war, so we were ineligible for a bowl in those years.  :P

You are right.

43 years  ;)

If you want to count the "small bowls," whatever they are, then fine.  10 bowls in 78 years.  Check back in 68 years or so.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I think the initial reaction to this matchup (and one ECU fans still dont understand) is as USF fans ECU, and CUSA to some extent, is more of a been there done that situation. We were just comming off of the high of beating WVU, and looking at maybe the Texas bowl, but more than likely a CUSA Southern Miss team that we wanted revenge against. So when ECU got the bid it kinda was a buzz kill.

Are you a different team then two years ago? Sure. Do I think USF has the better team? Hell yes. But there is a reason you play the game. We have done plenty of upsetting and been upset ourself. Either way the players on the field will decide the outcome.

I don't understand how USF can complain about who their bowl opponent is.  You've only been to 1 bowl and haven't won one.  To say you are "disappointed" that you are playing ECU smells of an arrogance that you certainly shouldn't have at this point.  I understand the whole 0-3 thing but if your fanbase can't rally around any bowl, regardless of opponent, you have issues.

Now you'll know going forward that you have to finish 3rd or better or you'll be playing "lowly" "CDOA" teams or even worse.

I'm sorry you don't understand.  We were already bowl eligible and had 7 wins to gaurantee a bowl, ok?  We were heading to this papajohns bowl alread, ok?  With me so far?  Then we beat a top 10 team in WVU that without a loss to UL in a great game would have been #2 in the nation.  Result?  The same bowl we would have gone to anyway.  And who do we play?  A team we played in the C-USA that I didn't know about then and still don't know much about (because I'm a collage football fan, not an encyclopedia).  Oh, and we are 3-0 against the team, meaning if we lose there's nothing gained.  If we played another BCS team that we have never played there would be a sense of accomplishment, more than just winning a bowl game.

But don't get me wrong, winning a bowl game is very important, it's just not going to have the satisfaction that beating a BCS conference team would have, or even some other team like Boise State or Marshall (not this year).  Someone we haven't played or at least haven't beaten.  

If I were ECU, I'd only be a little more excited to play us than we are to play you, and that's only because we beat you 3 times.  I guess we are a BCS conference team but the nation as a whole knows nothing about us still.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78

Don't worry.  We're not too excited, either.   :(  We'd much rather get a win over a school someone outside west-central-maybe-slightly-southern Florida has ever heard of.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473

I think the initial reaction to this matchup (and one ECU fans still dont understand) is as USF fans ECU, and CUSA to some extent, is more of a been there done that situation. We were just comming off of the high of beating WVU, and looking at maybe the Texas bowl, but more than likely a CUSA Southern Miss team that we wanted revenge against. So when ECU got the bid it kinda was a buzz kill.

Are you a different team then two years ago? Sure. Do I think USF has the better team? Hell yes. But there is a reason you play the game. We have done plenty of upsetting and been upset ourself. Either way the players on the field will decide the outcome.

I don't understand how USF can complain about who their bowl opponent is.  You've only been to 1 bowl and haven't won one.  To say you are "disappointed" that you are playing ECU smells of an arrogance that you certainly shouldn't have at this point.  I understand the whole 0-3 thing but if your fanbase can't rally around any bowl, regardless of opponent, you have issues.

Now you'll know going forward that you have to finish 3rd or better or you'll be playing "lowly" "CDOA" teams or even worse.

I'm sorry you don't understand.  We were already bowl eligible and had 7 wins to gaurantee a bowl, ok?  We were heading to this papajohns bowl alread, ok?  With me so far?  Then we beat a top 10 team in WVU that without a loss to UL in a great game would have been #2 in the nation.  Result?  The same bowl we would have gone to anyway.  And who do we play?  A team we played in the C-USA that I didn't know about then and still don't know much about (because I'm a collage football fan, not an encyclopedia).  Oh, and we are 3-0 against the team, meaning if we lose there's nothing gained.  If we played another BCS team that we have never played there would be a sense of accomplishment, more than just winning a bowl game.

I think you could modify that statement to also include a C-USA team like S. Miss, who we do have a history/"rivalry" with from our days in C-USA.  Despite the same conference affiliation, there would be a world of difference between USF playing SMU instead of ECU in the Pizza Bowl.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104

I love that they bring up beating NC State was a huge win. NC State was 3-9 this year, a much different team than we played.

You are correct NCSU had a bad record...but they were not a bad team...

This is a bit of a silly statement, dont you think?

I think I made my point ...but yes recordwise..they were terrible...ECU helped in that...Look out for the Wolfies...There is not a finer football stadium in the in the south...I was impressed...I gotta a feeling that the recruits will be impressed also...NCSU could soon go on a roll with the right coach at the helm.

You guys always talk about the years USF beat you as some of the worst years in your program's history.  You say you're better now.  So are we.  If we win what will the excuse be then?

The losses to USF have nothing to do with the next game...I really wish my ECU brethern would stfu about that ...Ive never made an excuse and wont if USF beats the hell out of us...Ill say the same thing I always say....We got beat by a better team today...Thats the only way Ive ever seen it...I hope that you can say the same if it doesnt turn out as you think....excuses are for losers

Guess you are calling 99% of ECU fans losers...A certain "bad call" comes to mind..

There are no bad calls IMHO...You put yourself in position by poor play or the better play of the opponent to have a call on the field cost you a game...If you execute, tackle,and play good special teams the game doesnt come down to those situations....Every play is important....No excuses from me...We shouldnt have gotten in that situation anyway...Looked like a TD to me.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

west-central-maybe-slightly-southern Florida has ever heard of.

I still don't understand how the school with the worst directional name is making fun of ours.   And that represents what's wrong with the ECU fan base.  They think they are superior than a team that beat 'em 3 out of 3, they belittle USF for having a directional name that they don't understand, yet at least people can tell what state we are located in by looking at our name. They are making fun of our fan base and yet after 30+ years of football it looks like you are only going to bring a couple of thousand more fans than us. You say we have no history, yet we proved to you that history doesn't matter when playing a game.  Just save face and talk about the upcoming matchup and forget the rest of the other stuff.  

Ok, it became obvious none of you ECU fans were going to answer my question, so I did a little research.  ECU was an independant NCAA 1-A team in 1932.  Until 1997 (C-USA), they were mostly Independant with some time spent in the North State Conference, Carolinas Conference, and Southern Conference.  They have 5 conference championships, 1 in North State and 4 in Southern (someone tell me if you have heard of these extinct conferences, maybe they are 2-A?).

Anyway, started football in 1932 and won a Bowl game in 1978.  Come back in 46 years to see if we have won a bowl game yet.  Or a few weeks, whatever.

The Southern Conference is still around ....In fact the D2 National Champion in 05 and 06 is from that league...Appalachian State

Theres no comparison between what ECU has done and what the future holds for USF or ECU....Its a silly argument...USF has a great opportunity to become a powerhouse in football...As for ECU...we are what we are...Im not ashamed of any of our accomplishments and I dont understand why anyone would belittle either schools past achievements...It wont matter to any player on the field Dec. 23...I hope the USF team is as confident  as its fans of an easy victory...If so...It could be interesting.

heh, it's still around?  how cute.  I agree, though, that the past means nothing to the current game, I said that in this thread and also go by it.  I was just curious what ECU's history was after the so obvious insult of our bowl history was brought up when clearly the last 2 years have been our best teams ever...in the 10 short years.  FIU, who did not win this year, almost beat us.  Kansas beat us and Cincy beat us bad.  I'm sure ECU could beat us but I am confident that we can win, particularly compared to last year's bowl game.  This time we are favored.

I will be very disappointed if we don't get our first bowl win this year, because when we make a bowl game for the 3rd straight year next year (something ECU did 99-01), we'll be even more insulted for losing to some Carolina team no one knows about.  Hopefully people learn about USF next year.

Wow!!! You went to the wrong school...You should have been a Pirate...The chip on your shoulder would fit nicely with ours 8-)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,628
  • Days Won:  10

west-central-maybe-slightly-southern Florida has ever heard of.

I still don't understand how the school with the worst directional name is making fun of ours.   And that represents what's wrong with the ECU fan base.  They think they are superior than a team that beat 'em 3 out of 3, they belittle USF for having a directional name that they don't understand, yet at least people can tell what state we are located in by looking at our name. They are making fun of our fan base and yet after 30+ years of football it looks like you are only going to bring a couple of thousand more fans than us. You say we have no history, yet we proved to you that history doesn't matter when playing a game.  Just save face and talk about the upcoming matchup and forget the rest of the other stuff.  

Moises, you do realize, don't you, that you could substitute the letters "UCF" for "ECU" and your statement would fit almost as well?  It's uncanny.  In fact, I have never seen them in the same room at the same time...ECU IS UCF!