ECU-Inside Slant (USA Today)

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,798
  • Content Count:  38,272
  • Days Won:  29

EAST CAROLINA

INSIDE SLANT

When East Carolina coach Skip Holtz learned that his team was headed to the new Papajohns.com Bowl in Birmingham to play a Big East team, it didn't really matter to him which Big East team the Pirates would play.

Just being in a bowl and playing a BCS team was enough for Holtz.

"We have great respect for the Big East Conference and to have the opportunity to play another game against a BCS conference is what we want to do," Holtz said. "I think (athletic director Terry) Holland has made it loud and clear with the schedule that has been put in place, having the opportunity to play in these BCS bowls, that's what we're striving for."

The Pirates played three BCS programs during the regular season, losing 27-10 to No. 15 West Virginia of the Big East and beating Virginia (31-21) and N.C. State (21-16) of the ACC.

In fact, it was the victory at N.C. State on Nov. 25 that made East Carolina (7-5) bowl eligible for the first time since 2001. Only two years removed from a 3-20 record under former coach John Thompson in 2003-04, the Pirates are 12-11 in two seasons under Holtz.

"I never came in and said, 'Let's put together a five-year plan and by year four we'll be in a bowl game,'" Holtz said. "I felt that we would (turn the program around quickly), but you don't know if the student-athletes you have are going to buy into the program you put forth."

The Pirates bought in and now they'll play South Florida of the Big East on Dec. 23.

"I think it will grab these players' attention," Holtz said last week. "Cincinnati, South Florida and Pittsburgh I believe are some of the names people are throwing around (as opponents). Any member of the Big East right now we'll be excited to have the opportunity to play."

NOTES, QUOTES

TURNING POINT: East Carolina was 2-4 when it beat SMU 38-21 on Oct. 21, triggering a defensive resurgence and a four-game winning streak that put the Pirates in contention for a division title and a bowl.

BOWL HISTORY: All-time record 7-5; Last bowl appearance GMAC Bowl, 2001, vs. Marshall; lost 64-61 in double overtime.

MATCHUP TO WATCH: East Carolina defense vs. USF QB Matt Grothe. Grothe is the Big East Offensive Freshman of the Year, a talented playmaker who can get it done with his arm or legs. East Carolina's offense isn't likely to run up a ton of points against USF's defense, so the defense will have to contain Grothe to have a chance.

PRO PROSPECTS:

WR Aundrae Allison Injuries limited his availability and productivity at times this season but Allison is still considered a potential second-round prospect because of his mix of 4.42 speed and hands.

P Ryan Dougherty A solid, consistent punter who will likely get a chance to show what he can do as a free agent.

QB James Pinkney Has the combination of size (6-3, 220 pounds) and athleticism to get a look but has been inconsistent with his passing and decisions throughout his career.

DB Jamar Flournoy Missed the 2005 season for disciplinary reasons but came back strong in 2006 to increase his value. Flournoy is a big hitter who must improve his coverage skills.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I can't tell you how encouraged and excited I am for the program, for the seniors and for the future. This bowl game gives us the opportunity to reward our seniors for the tremendous effort that they have put into this season. It also gives our younger players the opportunity to have the extra spring practice as we start getting ready for next year. As much as this is a sendoff for our senior class for a job well done, it is also a kickoff to what is about to come for next season." East Carolina coach Skip Holtz.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

GAME SNAPSHOT: East Carolina vs. South Florida, Papajohns.com Bowl, Birmingham, Ala., Dec. 23 Two programs on the rise carry late-season momentum into the bowl season hoping to extend their success into the 2007 season. Both defenses know how to force the issue and make big plays but the Pirates have as lot of work to do slow South Florida QB Matt Grothe.

SCOUTING THE OFFENSE: Between the week-to-week inconsistency of QB James Pinkney and injuries to the receivers throughout the season, the Pirates have been at their best when they've been able to run the ball. TB Brandon Fractious has been productive in the past two games and the return of Dominique Lindsay gives the Pirates a more physical presence in short yardage. The real key to the offense will be the health of T Eric Graham, who missed the two final regular-season games because of a sprained knee.

SCOUTING THE DEFENSE: After allowing 28.8 points, 402.5 yards and 217.6 rushing yards per game with only 20 takeaways in 2005, the Pirates have improved across the board in 2006. This year's defense is allowing 20.5 points, 332 total yards and 144.2 rushing yards with 26 takeaways, with experienced players such as DBs Jamar Flournoy, Pierre Parker, Kasey Ross and Kyle Chase leading the way and young players such as LBs Quentin Cotton and Pierre Bell and junior college transfer LB Fred Wilson growing up along the way. The Pirates won five of their last six games in large part because the defense allowed only 17 points per game during that span.

SCOUTING THE SPECIAL TEAMS: P Ryan Dougherty and KR Chris Johnson are first-team all-conference selections. K Robert Lee struggled midway through the season but got back on track late in the season.

COACHING EDGE: While South Florida coach Jim Leavitt has steadily built his program through 10 seasons and put together a competitive Big East program in the process, East Carolina's Skip Holtz inherited a program that won three games in 2003-04 and has the Pirates in a bowl game in his second season. The two teams faced each other three times as C-USA opponents from 2002-04, with South Florida winning all three games, including a 41-17 victory in 2004. Both teams have come a long way since that game.

INTANGIBLES: While this is the second consecutive bowl for South Florida it's the first since 2001 for East Carolina. That bowl experience has to count for something, especially for a South Florida team that closed out the regular season with a 24-19 victory over West Virginia.

PREDICTED OUTCOME: South Florida 24, East Carolina 14 Even if the Pirates do find a way to contain South Florida QB Matt Grothe to some extent, it's hard to imagine them moving the ball consistently and scoring points on the Bulls' defense.

ROSTER REPORT: Two valuable seniors, WR Bobby Good and DE Shauntae Hunt, are finally back after missing significant portions of the season because of injuries. The status of senior LT Eric Graham is more uncertain. Graham, the anchor of the East Carolina offensive line, suffered a sprained knee against Marshall on Nov. 11 and missed the last two games of the regular season. Even though he has three weeks to get ready, he remains questionable for the bowl game. "We're going to have to see how he does. He's probably still two weeks away," coach Skip Holtz said.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,802
  • Days Won:  213

the 2002 game was not as CUSA opponents as we only played as a member of CUSA in 2003 and 2004

I was there and we ruined their homecoming (and we did it again the next year too).

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

The ECU overall record in 2003 & 2004 was 1-11 and 2-9 respectfully.  WE beat practically no one.

Easily the worse two years of football coaching at ECU since the 1930s.

As for 2003 when you beat us when we were 4-7.  Yeppers--another steller year in Pirateland.

You can make arguements for having a program at USF, but those W's ain't it.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

Will it make you feel any better when we beat a good 7-5 ECU team ?

Guest r_to_the_izzo
The ECU overall record in 2003 &

2004 was 1-11 and 2-9 respectfully.  WE beat practically no one.

Easily the worse two years of football coaching at ECU since the 1930s.

As for 2003 when you beat us when we were 4-7.  Yeppers--another steller year in Pirateland.

You can make arguements for having a program at USF, but those W's ain't it.

We beat you 41-17 with the worst team in this programs history (04). We arent worried about your opinion on our program, Louisville and WVU knows how far we have come.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Didn't you get *****-slapped by West Virginia in your own house?   You know, that team we just beat?

Your best win is over a mediocre USM team.  You suck, PeeDee sucks, and Skip Holtz can't wait to bail to go coach a real program.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,493
  • Days Won:  1

GOD I WISH IT WAS DECEMBER 23rd ALREADY

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

I'm really hoping it is a good game.  ECU is definately going to come in with something to prove.  I believe that they will be up for this game big time.  I also don't think it will be a problem, but I hope it is a good game and not a romp (dare I say it -- in either direction?)

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104

I think the slant is ...well...a slant.  I agree that we will probably have trouble moving the ball against the USF defense....But Im not sure that either team will have a stellar day on offense...ECUs defense really came together late in the season and I think a month layoff doesnt fair well for either offense...I think ECU has 2 major weapons in this game that must be used win....superior special teams play...and WR Andre Allison....If we win the special team battle and Allison is open...Lookout for an upset. Regardless...I still see a close game late into the 3rd....Defense will win this game...thus I give USF the nod...21-17