UF President to Push for Playoffs, FSU Supports

Jim Johnson

11 Conference Champions (otherwise you could expect a lawsuit) and 5 at-large teams.  Selection and seeding by a committee, just like the BBall tourneys...  Higher seeds visit lower seeds.  Each game would be tied to a bowl game... winner moves on, loser goes to XX Bowl.

Move championship weekend to the Thanksgiving weekend, play the playoffs the next three weeks, then start the bowl games... the NC game could still be after the bowl games.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeG

• Bobcat99

• Joe

• BULLheaded

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy the whole "regular season" argument.  Every other sport plays a regular season, are we saying that the Marquette-Duke game didn't mean anything because there is a playoff at the end??

Regular season games have meaning because you need to win to get into the playoffs... and if you have at-large selections of some kind then SOS could mean something as well.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

if they were to use my idea this season (and assuming no one loses in the top four)--

OSU would play UF at home

USC would host Michigan

winners would play in the BCS championship (and no other bowl) -- total impact= one more game for 4 teams. All teams in the "final four" would be guaranteed to be in a BCS Bowl game and because home teams would be host sites, you can bet that those stadiums would be packed.

The games I propose would be held on Saturday December 16th-- enough time to prepare for the opponent, sell tickets, take finals, enjoy Holiday break time, avoid bumping into other bowl games, and even allow the winners time to prepare for the NC game and losers (and their fans)time to prepare for their BCS bowl game. If you want to eliminate ANY travel issues-- those teams who qualify for the FInal Four would play at the exact same BCS Bowl location but one week apart. Set up travel packages to be interchangeable perhaps-- something can be worked out I think.

I don't buy the whole "regular season" argument.  Every other sport plays a regular season, are we saying that the Marquette-Duke game didn't mean anything because there is a playoff at the end??

Regular season games have meaning because you need to win to get into the playoffs... and if you have at-large selections of some kind then SOS could mean something as well.

you are missing the X-factor in that argument. Hoops and just about any other sport hasa far smaller audience in attendance and teams can play a couple of games in a shorter period of time. Football is much harder to play games that fast or coordinate the travel of 10s of thousands of fans. Also-- the location of the NCAA regionals etc are known far in advance and accomodate multiple games.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

My idea is to have a 4 team playoff or Plus 1 format.  NOTHING would need to be changed.  Every year, simply take 2 of the 5 BCS bowl and have a miniplayoff on Jan 1.  1 vs 4, and 2 vs 3.  Then you simply play the NC game on Jan 8th.  Of course you would have people complaining about who is the #4 team, but I think you would get a true NC this way.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree TX, for now a 4 teamm +1 system will work fine. Expand in the future when other things can get hammered out.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

Bullheaded, a team that isn't shafted by the system is not going to get the look that Florida/Michigan/Louisville will get when they are sfated (barring UCLA upsetting USC).

SO, of course a school isn't going to complain if they aren't in the mix, it would be pointless and many would make fun of them. To the other extreme, if they were the team to go to the title game, of course they wouldn't complain, don't want to piss the powers that be off.

Yes it was a faulty system for hoarding money to begin with, but we should praise it. It made USF relevant in college football.

At the same time it was not those other schools that put this system together. It was the Florida and Michigans that felt it was best to make the current (at that time) scope of college football as stagnant as possible and lock out anyone that was not in their little party from having a snow balls chance in hell of getting into a major bowl and sharing in the money. If the bcs had been around 40 years ago UF and FSU would be mid majors, if it was 25 years ago Miami would be a mid major. They knew this and contrived an ingenious plan of locking the door for any other team to achieve what they have. So, again I'll say that after their greedy little plan caused them to suffer I have zero sympathy and think they should just deal with it and enjoy the fact that they are still getting what they really wanted.....lot's and lot's of money.

Of course I still hope a playoff happens but these teams need to just quit whining that they got shafted when the motivations were in the best interest of their wallets and not their teams.

My idea is to have a 4 team playoff or Plus 1 format.  NOTHING would need to be changed.  Every year, simply take 2 of the 5 BCS bowl and have a miniplayoff on Jan 1.  1 vs 4, and 2 vs 3.  Then you simply play the NC game on Jan 8th.  Of course you would have people complaining about who is the #4 team, but I think you would get a true NC this way.  

one problem with that approach-- the second game (NC) follows to closely to the others to give fans time to arrange travel. Also-- it makes those fans have to go to TWO bowl games versus one.

WIth my idea, you have alot of local fans able to see a playoff with time to arrange to get to whatever bowl they are subsequently sent to.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  3,185
  • Days Won:  1

Here is an idea I threw together, loosely based on the NFL's playoff system.

12-team Bowl Championship Series Playoff

Based off of the most recent BCS standings the following teams would be in:

1. Ohio State

2. USC

3. Michigan

4. Florida

5. LSU

6. Louisville

7. Wisconsin

8. Boise State

9. Arkansas

10. Notre Dame

11. Auburn

12. Oklahoma

BCS Opening Round - #’s 1-4 would have a bye week

#12 Oklahoma @ #5 LSU

#11 Auburn @ #6 Louisville

#10 Notre Dame @ #7 Wisconsin

#9 Arkansas @ # 8 Boise State

BCS Quarterfinal Round

Lowest Remaining Seed @ #1 Ohio State

2nd Lowest Remaining Seed @ #2 USC

3rd Lowest Remaining Seed @ #3 Michigan

Highest Remaining Seed @ #4 Florida

BCS Semifinal Round

Lowest Remaining Seed @ Highest Remaining Seed

3rd Lowest Remaining seed @ 2nd Lowest Remaining seed

BCS Championship Game - winners of both semifinal games playing in the previously selected venue (this year would be Glendale, AZ)

BCS Consolation Game – losers of both semifinal games to play in the following season’s championship venue (the year would be New Orleans, LA)

--------------------------

- Eliminating bye weeks in the regular season. For example, this season would have begun on the weekend of September 2-3. 12 weeks would last up until the weekend of November 18-19, in which making Championship Saturday November 25th. Under my proposal above, the Opening round would be on the weekend of December 2-3, Qtr-final weekend on December 9-10, and semifinal weekend on December 16-17.

eliminating bye weeks fails to take into account conferences that have championship games like the ACC, Big 12, and SEC.