• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

they needed to push for this years ago

because sec gets aced out every year by usc  is not the reason for a playoff

a 32  5 week playoff is the only way to go

unfortunately neither fsu or usf wouldnt have made it this year

If you use the BCS rankings as a basis for the 32 teams, we'd ALMOST have made it...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeG

• Bobcat99

• Joe

• BULLheaded

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

I wouldn't mind a playoff, but to do this right, you would need to play two preliminary games before the bowls started.

Basically, I would keep the BCS standings in tact as the determining factor. Take the top 4 teams at seasons end and let the #1 and #2 teams host the #4 and #3 teams respectively. The games would probably be sellouts even on short notice and not impinge on the lucrative bowl system.

The two winners would play in the BCS championship game. The two losers would play in other BCS bowls per normal.

32 teams is too much-- this is why we play an entire season. Everyone understands that the season is what determines the NC contenders. There is always debate over one or two teams that don't get a fair shot. THis would at the least alleviate the situation, give us some more TV revenue to spread across the entire 1-A level, and give us an additional weekend of games to let those who might not ohave had a chance EARN the chance to play for the title.

I can't see how logistically you can go any further than two games with the bowl matchups/huge money on the line. While we do have a workable situation in 1-AA playoffs et al-- those games are rarely televised nationally or attended well (the early round especially)--- an item no one really minds too much because the potential money and interest is understandably less than at the 1-A level.

The other main reason I favor a simple 4 team playoff (having them play those games the third week of December) is that it avoids competing and watering down the existing bowl system.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

Jimminey Crickets, You guys are freaking crazy.

A school with CLOUT is pushing for a playoff and your complaining how they're whining? THANK YOU UF. We've been waiting for someone be it Texas, Michigan, LSU, Oklahoma, etc. just SOMEONE with some freaking say in college football's money pool to start this up.

This is awesome for 2 reasons:

a) It's a University President. The past few years the biggest excuse is the University presidents don't want the playoff because it would hurt the studnets.

B) UF and Ohio State are the two richest athletic departments in the country (they go back and forth taking the #1 spot). To have a school with the financial success of UF backing the playoff goes against conventional wisdom that schools will lose moeny from the playoff.

I've seen countless threads about the BCS suck, etc. over the last few months and how unfair it was to (WVU/Louisville/Rutgers) and how college football needed a playoff. Well this is probably the biggest shot the ass it will get.

Hate UF all you want, this might be the best thing for the game.

As for the 4th spot. There will always be an argument for it fact fo life. But at least your taking less of a risk leaving someone behind who should possibly be there.

To put it another way. YES it is great a school with clout is pushing for a playoff system which I think is what we should have anyway. BUT it's the motivation behind it all that deserved to be critisized, I certainly didn't hear florida fans crying for a playoff 2 years ago, in fact anyone I talked to would just say that it was the way it should be since the non bcs schools didn't "deserve" to share in the big money. Of course that was when they were no where near sniffing a bcs game yet still got the money. Now they they are personally affected (by their own greed) the whining starts. So as I mentioned above, I agree with the playoff yet I still can't help but chuckle at the complaints of not getting into the big game since it is ALL caused by them doing everything they possibly can to hoard the money.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bullheaded, a team that isn't shafted by the system is not going to get the look that Florida/Michigan/Louisville will get when they are sfated (barring UCLA upsetting USC).

SO, of course a school isn't going to complain if they aren't in the mix, it would be pointless and many would make fun of them. To the other extreme, if they were the team to go to the title game, of course they wouldn't complain, don't want to piss the powers that be off.

Yes it was a faulty system for hoarding money to begin with, but we should praise it. It made USF relevant in college football.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

I also am happy a bigger school is pushing for this ... need a playoff.

Drop bye weeks, play a 10 game schedule and you would have plenty of time for a 16 team play-off. Agree that using the current "BCS" style system to determine it.

I would still like to see some bowls ... even if people call it tyhe football NIT, it's postseason rewards for players, teams and fans.

NOW ... a network needs to get behind to to really have steam.

(I guess this should be moved to the Tampa ALL Sports Board)

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

16 team playoff. shorten regular season by 2 games. bowl games for other teams that do not get in. rotate the championship location around.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

I disagree ET-- you are asking every team to drop 2 games to make room for 16 teams to play a full schedule. That won't work since these teams need the revenue fromthose games. And what about the 100+ teams that don't qualify for the playoffs? What do they do those last two weeks?

My proposed method adds just two games and relies on the BCS rankings which have been pretty decent at determining the best teams for the most part. Everyone will realize what is at stake during the year. The playoffs start with game one and those who can get through their schedules with the least amount of losses should get the favorable position. Yeah=--I know that certain teams get a leg up based on pre-season rankings. But short of blowing the entire system to pieces, I don't see any more reasonable, feasible or equitable method to help narrow down who the final two team are. If this isn't good enough-- perhaps two weeks of games might work with the top 8 teams getting a chance to be the fnal two-- but again- I feel this waters down significantly the Bowl game matchups.

Week 1 Sept. 2

Week 2 Sept. 9

Week 3 Sept. 16

Week 4 Sept. 23

Week 5 Sept. 30

Week 6 Oct. 7

Week 7 Oct. 14

Week 8 Oct. 21

Week 9 Oct. 28

Week 10 Nov. 4

Actually, would still have time for a bye-week. 4 weeks to get to a National Champion, from 16 teams. Teams already play 14 games so there is no added games ... another LIE/reason to stop a playoff.

The big LIE is that schools use is to keep the football schedule in 1 semester. SOLVED !

No conference championship games and no conference tie in, just simply use a poll/computer voting system to get to 16 teams.

1. Ohio State

2. USC

3. Michigan

4. Florida

5. LSU

6. Louisville

7. Wisconsin

8. Boise State

9. Arkansas

10. Notre Dame

11. Auburn

12. Oklahoma

13. Rutgers

14. Virginia Tech

15. West Virginia

16. Tennessee

Who could really argue about not getting in ... there would be some teams to be lucky to get in.

Mike, good point.

Okay, you can still have 12 games and still enough time and would only be extending a season by 2 games for 2 teams, 1 game for 2 other teams.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Gotta have 11 games, many schools need at least 6 home games to make the money they need to support their entire athletic department.