Is Matt Grothe the best quarterback in Florida?

Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Put Tebow against the teams we've played and he'd have Heisman Numbers as a TRUE Freshman.  Put Leak against the teams we've played and  he may have had the greatest numbers ever put up by a college QB.  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apis Bull

• Joe

• Bull Martin

• ___ Eats It

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Put Tebow against the teams we've played and he'd have Heisman Numbers as a TRUE Freshman.  Put Leak against the teams we've played and  he may have had the greatest numbers ever put up by a college QB.  

This is why I try to avoid these debates.  You have no idea what Tebow or Leak would do on this team, against our competition.  Hell, you don't even know what Tebow will do as the full-time starter at Florida.  For that matter, you don't know what Matt would do at UF.

Tebow is a physical speciman and a tough runner, but we haven't seen him in situations where he is going to be forced to pass.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,759
  • Content Count:  17,674
  • Days Won:  13

This is why I try to avoid these debates.  

Ummmmm................ Didn't you start this debate?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This is why I try to avoid these debates.  

Ummmmm................ Didn't you start this debate?

Well, kinda  :-[, but I was just posting it to show what other fans thought of Matt.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  481
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe over Troy Smith???  Herman was right -- I really cant believe that someone on this board would say such a thing.  That is comical.  Troy Smith is going to win the Heisman trophy by an overwhelming margin and you are saying you would take Grothe over Troy Smith.  The same Troy Smith that SMOKED Texas...in week 2 of college football.

Do you think "smoking" Texas was a big accomplishment?  Come on bro, wake up.  I have two words for you...Kansas State.  Yes, thats right, Kansas State.  Wow, they are a major power-house this year.  Dude, I am sorry, but Ohio State has played NOBODY this year.  The Big 10 is a two horse race and they have yet to play each other.  Troy Smith has proven no more than Grothe has at this point.  I just believe from what I have seen that Grothe, as a freshman, is in the same league as Smith as a senior.  They are different quarterbacks and it is hard to compare.  But I will tell you this, Grothe as a senior is going to be sick if he stays healthy...absolutely sick.  I would take Grothe now as a freshman over a senior Troy Smith and I will be ahead in the long run.  Remember, we are comparing a RS Freshman vs. a Senior.  Take that into consideration.  No doubt about it, Grothe all the way.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Tebow has passed, but not much, however he had that pass against LSU to seal the the game (not the jump pass)

Grothe is a Bull and he's going to be a special player, am I asking him to be Tim Tebow? No! He's a different player in many aspects (power, etc.)

I watched Tebow in the state final in Miami last year (Friend of mine was an Armwood grad), I'll say this he is a kid that has the potential to be unlike anything we've seen in college football. Potential is the word. Tebow has made several great plays for UF this year. However, without Leak's passing ability they don't move the ball to get Tebow in those positions.

I think come 2008 we'll have a debate over who is the better QB, Grothe and Tebow. Should be fun.

However, lets enjoy the fact that right now we KNOW that we have at LEAST the 2nd best QB in the state of Florida based on on field performances. Don't worry about Leak, Tebow, Pedrick, Moffit, or even Julmiste.  Grothe is a special player who will help us contend for the BE in the next 3 seasons.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ohio,

I think that Troy Smith's body of work speaks for itself. The guy has thrown 11 INTs in almost 34 games/25 starts, in that he's beaten several ranked teams and is 23-2 in games he's started. Yes, I agree Ohio State hasn't played much, but it is not like USF has really played a much harder schedule.

Grothe has the potential to be a Troy Smith type player, but to say Grothe is on par with Troy Smith just yet is wearing the thick green and gold glasses.

Would I take Grothe over Smith, yes, because I personally like what Grothe brings to this team as a RsFreshman. Does that mean Grothe is better or even on par right now? No, that's not a rip on Grothe, he's just got a lot to do before you can honestly say that.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  481
  • Days Won:  2

Ohio,

I think that Troy Smith's body of work speaks for itself. The guy has thrown 11 INTs in almost 34 games/25 starts, in that he's beaten several ranked teams and is 23-2 in games he's started. Yes, I agree Ohio State hasn't played much, but it is not like USF has really played a much harder schedule.

Grothe has the potential to be a Troy Smith type player, but to say Grothe is on par with Troy Smith just yet is wearing the thick green and gold glasses.

Would I take Grothe over Smith, yes, because I personally like what Grothe brings to this team as a RsFreshman. Does that mean Grothe is better or even on par right now? No, that's not a rip on Grothe, he's just got a lot to do before you can honestly say that.

Agreed, that is what I was trying to say.  I would take Grothe for his age.  However, I think if you would put Grothe with OSU's team I don't see a great deal of drop-off.  Smith has a better supporting cast.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I think Pat Julmiste is the best QB in the NATION and should win the Hiesman!

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think Pat Julmiste is the best QB in the NATION and should win the Hiesman!

JULMISTE FOR HEISMAN!!!!