Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Charlotte, Orlando, Jacksonville favored to hold game, which begins in 2005

By TONY BARNHART

Cox News Service

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla.  Charlotte, Jacksonville, Fla., and Orlando, Fla., are the most likely sites to host the first ACC championship football game in December 2005, according to those involved in the decision.

The ACC will send requests for proposals in two or three weeks to the nine cities that have expressed interest in holding the game. The other six are Atlanta, Baltimore, Miami, the Meadowlands in New Jersey, Tampa and Washington.

Atlanta isn't considered a serious contender because it plays host to the SEC championship game each year.

ACC commissioner John Swofford said Monday at the league's annual meeting that the list will be narrowed to about three cities by a subcommittee of athletics directors after the proposals are returned to the conference. The league then will visit the sites before making a decision in “late summer or early fall,†Swofford said.

The ACC is considering awarding a two-year contract for the game with a two-year option. The league hopes to generate between $10 million and $12 million per game.

Last summer the ACC expanded to add Miami and Virginia Tech. Boston College is scheduled to become the league's 12th member in July of 2005, making the ACC eligible to hold a championship game.

The proposals will outline financial considerations and how the city plans to host events surrounding the game in order to create the best atmosphere. ACC officials also will look at travel convenience, location and weather.

Jacksonville, led by Gator Bowl executive director Rick Catlett, plans to tout its stadium, which will undergo a $46 million renovation before the city plays host to the Super Bowl in February 2005.

“Except for the folks in Boston, everybody in the ACC can drive here in less than 10 hours,†Catlett said.

Jacksonville also has a relationship with the ACC because the Gator Bowl game takes the league's No. 2 team each season.

Orlando is trying to push its 112,000 hotel rooms and cheap air fares, particularly in the first week of December, when tourism is slow.

“Because you don't know which teams are coming until a week before the game, you have to have a city that can handle a lot of people in a short amount of time,†said Tom Mickle, the executive director of the Capital One Bowl. “That is what Orlando does best.â€Â

Orlando does have some issues; the Florida Citrus Stadium needs an upgrade. A $125 million renovation could be approved if the Capital One becomes a member of the Bowl Championship Series later this year. That uncertainty could hurt Orlando's chances.

Charlotte is banking on geography and an NFL stadium that has all the bells and whistles. North Carolina is home to four ACC schools.

“It's right in the heart of ACC territory, and for most schools it is an easy trip,†said Ken Haines of Raycom Sports, who is spearheading Charlotte's effort. “In Charlotte, it would be the biggest event of that week as opposed to some other cities that have so many things going on.â€Â

Charlotte does seem to be the most logical choice.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

tampa will be a strong contender

this may be why the outback was not hopping on the bcs wagon. a chance to get F$U or UM every year is equal or better than BCS with a big east and an at large team IMO

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Why is CHarlotte the logical choice when FSU and UM will be battling each other for the championship. I say Tampa... four hours each way for UM and FSU fans. They can battle for the ACC championship why we battle for the National Championship.

Honestly, I would rather not have it in Tampa as the fact it would be a great recruiting tool for those schools!

Guest pdiddyguest

I don't think it will be fsu vs miami in the long term...

FSU is slowly dropping off, and the state schools are starting to feel the sting of our recruiting some of the players that would have been there.  Miami recruits internationally, so they will always feel that less.

Also, the ACC has some other schools that can beat FSU now.  I do think Miami will be in it most years.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

I hope it is not held in Tampa for the same reason the Sheriff brought up.  It would only help them in recruiting in our home territory.  I bet that it goes to Charlotte or Jville with Char being the favorite due to the fact it is in the middle of ACC country.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Why is CHarlotte the logical choice

Because it's the largest city in the middle of ACC territory.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

If you simply think about four votes within the conference for putting it in North Carolina, you realize that it will be difficult to site it anywhere else.  Plus, they'll probably want to get it setup as a tradition thing, even if the initial contract is just for 2 years.

but can charlotte deliver big time like atlanta does for the SEC. the partnership with the city and coke is what makes the sec title game what it is. if you can't match that then $10-12 Miliion may not be possible IMO

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I hope they go to JAX!

tampa, baby!