gamecocks will be ready for bulls

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

according to sportswriter

Q.

Joe, USC chose not of offer Florida Kicker CJ Rhody because of scholarships considerations. Was that the final reason? According the State article, he hit on a 57 yard field goal last year. Different in college no doubt without the tee, but certainly impressive. Special teams are one of the weakest areas of the team and a good field goal kicker would have helped. Why not offer ? I would rather take a chance on him than offer to a guy who is going to be a project or never get much playing time. I know Josh Brown is on a scholly and maybe Coach did not want two scholarship kickers on the team. And maybe Rhody was not the answer, but unless Brown improves the FG kicking on this team is about a D+ grade right now. You agree or disagree?  

Rob M, Walkersville, MD 5/10/04  

A.

Rob, USC's scholarship situation is tight. In fact, I think the Gamecocks are still one or two above the 85-scholly limit, pending any possible transfers and/or possible academic casualties. You're right about Brown: He still has to prove himself. But he apparently has done enough to convince Holtz that he can be successful.  

Joe Person 5/10/04  

Q.

do you think USC will underestimate the south florida bulls?

steve mazza, los angeles,ca 5/09/04  

A.

Steve, Not the way Lou Holtz builds up an opponent. He mentioned how dangerous So. Florida is at a Gamecock Club meeting last week.  

Joe Person 5/10/04  

Q.

Joe, is it true that USC will be featuring new helmets and uniforms this season? I've heard that black helmets may be in the fold. Go Gamecocks!!

Carolina Man, 5 Points, SC 5/09/04  

A.

Carolina Man, Thanks for checking in from Five Points. The new uniform rumor gets started every year about this time. This might be the year there's a change, but no official announcment has been made, yet.  

Joe Person 5/10/04  

Q.

Joe, Why is the USC coaching staff not inviting the #2 kicker on the depth chart back to start practice on Aug 4th. He is invited back as a walk on. The current #1 kicker is zero for 4 on field goals. He had one blocked and missed one last year while filling in for Daniel Weaver.He had one blocked and missed a 31 yarder wide right in the spring game this year. This is insane!This makes no sense.Clemson works its #1 and #2 kickers equally.

Anonymous, Columbia,SC 5/07/04  

A.

Anon., I'm not sure who you're referring to. Charlie Carpenter and Stephen Stellfox both were competing for that kicking job in the spring and both are walk-ons. I can try to address the question generally. The NCAA puts limits on the number of roster spots teams can have in the summer, then increases that number once school starts. So, most schools have a handful of walk-ons that are with the team from the start of preseason camp, with the others joining after school starts.  

Joe Person 5/10/04  

Q.

IS there any new news on when the south endzone project will start being built, someone told me there trying to finish it by the end of the summer, is this true??

Hunter, columbia, SC 5/07/04  

A.

Hunter, Not true. The new weight room project is expected to be completed by mid- to late-October.  

Joe Person 5/10/04  

Q.

Joe, who has the most raw talent on our squad this year?

uscfan, lexington 5/06/04  

A.

Lex, Pound for pound, Moe Thompson might be the best athlete on the team. A former Mr. Football who was an all-state tight end, Thompson could be poised for a big season.  

Joe Person 5/06/04  

Q.

Joe..will there be another opportunity during August practice to meet the players, get autographs, photos etc. like during the Spring game?  

Diehard, York, SC 5/05/04  

A.

Diehard, I'm not sure if USC will do a "fan day" during preseason camp or not. I don't think it did last year, but it may this year.  

Joe Person 5/06/04  

Q.

What are the dates of the late signing period for women's college basketball? May any athletes be signed after this period? Are signings generally announced immediately?

Greg 5/03/04  

A.

Greg, Spring signing period is April 16-May 15. Schools can offer scholarships to players after that date, but there are no letters of intent to make those late offers binding. USC's women's team generally announces all of its signees at the end of the signing period.  

Joe Person 5/06/04  

Q.

Have not heard anything at all about Mike Rathe lately. Lou and Skip did not mention him when talking about their quarterbacks in recent interviews. What is the news on him? Seems like he has been written off.

Liaa Fuhimuta, Columbia, SC 5/05/04  

A.

Liaa, Rathe is still on the team, but is buried on the depth chart. As you know, he played only sparingly in the spring game and has not been given much of a shot since last season's Georgia game.  

Joe Person 5/06/04  

Q.

Joe, We have heard from USC about the secondary violations. Any word from the NCAA? What is the timeframe to hear back from them? I guess this could drag on for years. It does not seem too efficient from the NCAA side of things IMHO.  

Rob M, Walkersville, MD 5/02/04  

A.

Rob, During the preliminary phase of an investigation, the NCAA is not really bound by any time constraints. And you're right about the inefficiency: The NCAA's enforcement staff is woefully understaffed.  

Joe Person 5/03/04  

i say they are ripe for plucking like bama was

Guest pdiddyguest

Holtz does not look past anybody.  His team might, but he will try to prevent it.  He is one of the best coaches still coaching imo, and this game and UL will be our toughest 2.  If we win in columbia, we will have a VERY good season (easily good enough to win CUSA).

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

his team will we are not BCS yet

we will sneak up on them

we have had good starts against some good teams

OU and BAMA but can't seem to finish with improve talent in the 2 deep i hope if we get a jump on them we don't let them up.

last year it was no 1 QB banks that failed,the fumbles and defense wilted

the no 2's are not to blame

hope the improved talent level rises to the top fast

guy's need to step up big time

do you think USC will underestimate the south florida bulls?  

steve mazza, los angeles,ca 5/09/04  

A.  

Steve, Not the way Lou Holtz builds up an opponent. He mentioned how dangerous So. Florida is at a Gamecock Club meeting last week.  

Joe Person 5/10/04  

nice to be feared

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

If the Bulls beat Pitt, Lou Holtz will be calling us the South Florida Goliaths.  He'll build the Bulls up so big it will be ridiculous.  The G'cocks will be hungry when are Bulls pull into Columbia.  More than likely Georgia will have thumped them the week before the Bulls.  Now if the Bulls take it on the chin vs Pitt and USC upsets GA, Lou can squawk all he wants.  The players will have their chests all puffed out and will be ripe for a take down.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

MikeG  you said exactly what I have been thinking.  Unless the O really improves over the summer every game will be a close one.  I wouldnt be suprised if we do run the ball a lot.  Especially with the boys we have coming in. Our Defense will definitely be our strong suit so if the O can put up 21 -24 points a game we will be fine.  If not then every game will be close in the fourth.

they will be ready for a south florida AR$E kicking

go bulls!

mikeg- there better be changes or there will be some splaining to do