S Bien... I just read you giving Tom Veit props...

The Sheriff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

but you can't be serious. That guy thinks we're all a bunch of jackasses on this message board and we don't have a clue how to market anything. I've talked to him before and he just doesn't care what students or die hards think. He cares what our checkbooks think... but our opinions are pushed aside because we decided any joe schmoe could get a marketing degree. I really do feel not getting Hollis is a huge mistake! Our biggest shortfall at USF is marketing... basketball attendance is down (blame Seth if you must) even with a new coach... football attendance has hovered in the same area for three years basically... winning or not winning. Hollis would at least be able to assist Veit in working the shortfalls of marketing out. Veit is a cancer to USF marketing. You give me the same staff he has and their experience and the budget we have, I would run circles around his efforts! Just my opinion!

Terry

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

veit may be a casualty when the new ad steps in.

this would noy worry me one bit. he has not proved to be able to do what he should with what he has, much less to do more with less. he whine's instead of preforming is my view.

Guest S.  Bien
but you can't be serious. That guy thinks we're all a bunch of jackasses on this message board and we don't have a clue how to market anything. I've talked to him before and he just doesn't care what students or die hards think. He cares what our checkbooks think... but our opinions are pushed aside because we decided any joe schmoe could get a marketing degree. I really do feel not getting Hollis is a huge mistake! Our biggest shortfall at USF is marketing... basketball attendance is down (blame Seth if you must) even with a new coach... football attendance has hovered in the same area for three years basically... winning or not winning. Hollis would at least be able to assist Veit in working the shortfalls of marketing out. Veit is a cancer to USF marketing. You give me the same staff he has and their experience and the budget we have, I would run circles around his efforts! Just my opinion!

Terry

I spoken with him before.  Maybe he's not incline to listen, but from more than one person I've heard issues are not what they want to do, but more what they can do.  

As for Hollis, he was a fraud.  He came in and was so unimpressive, and the marketing 'genius' he was so quick to tout, were games that would have drawn high fan turnout if a dud put it on.  Come on, MSU v. UM in hockey.  Perennially these two schools are top 10 in hockey attendance (they both get more for hockey then we do for basketball), they are both top 10 clubs, and it was an in-state rivalry game.  The basketball game was an even bigger joke, and in both instances Hollis wasn't the sole genius behind the games.

Everyone expected more from the guy, they expected high energy, but instead he came in without much vision, talks of contacts than any decent AD could obtain, and he constantly was looking down, or had real weak answers, with little emotion.  The guy wasn't what was bragged, and his 'marketing ideas' are not as wonderous as you think.  Another big concern with some is what happens when he comes in and finds out USF doesn't have the resources that MSU has, and he must find creative ways to market- would he get quickly frustrated.

I was initially enamored with Hollis, but from what I heard many walked away very, very unimpressed.   Sorry, but the truth isn't what the perception is.

As for Veit, he might seem stoggy, and regressive to new ideas but nothing is further from the truth.  What this University needs is a master leader, a delegator, someone with vision- a real overall vision for an athletic department not just some nice marketing ideas.  Then hopefully he will sufficiently motivate this staff, and individuals to reach out more.  If that doesn't get Veit going then he will get a pink slip, which is what a good AD will do.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

the future will be interesting

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Sheriif wrote:

I've talked to him before and he just doesn't care what students or die hards think.

IMO, the Athletic Department( and all schools) would be in great shape if they hired "DIE HARDS" like the people from this message board.

I don't have to name names, but there are quite of few that give some serious time and money from this board and Dave's to help further the growth of USF Sports ... for their LOVE not for the money.

Okay, I will name names. Brad and Dave give serious TIME to help USF Sports ... and it's obviously not for money. Thanx to these two and the many others.

Some people still look at people that post on boards down their noses ... there are some serious brains on this board that are just USF Junkies.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I think that sometimes the people in athletics are afraid of people that aren't afraid to express their opinions publicly...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

... and some are afraid to speak their minds and to tell the truth because sometime it hurts or offends ...

I always tell it like it is ....

"If my answers frighten you, you should stop asking scaring questions."

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236
  • Days Won:  0

From an outsiders point of view, I read Hollis's sales pitch to USF.  He concerned me, he seem to want to whore himself out to Nike.  It appeared to me that he thought that the AD job is to market USF.

While I think an AD's job should entail marketing, he seemed to want to put all his eggs into the "Nike" basket.  Posing with the Redwings, I mean, I just got a sense that it was more about him then it was about USF.  I think USF did good by not going with him.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

stk-you concerned about usf?  haha

did you get on this board by mistake?

Guest S.  Bien

At least STK provided some meaningful insight, and opinion.  He was right on with Hollis.   Which is the point many have lost on this AD search, some worry about a lack of marketing, or football, or whatever the case maybe.  In the end, the Athletic Directors job is to be a leader, delegate, and network.  For marketing he has associate AD's, and a marketing staff to work with, his job isn't solely to market.  As for football, while its nice to have some experience his job is to facilitate, and delegate, not run a football program.

The key is to look for a well-balanced AD, not one that specializes in one area like Hollis.  His talk to our search firm centered around whoring out USF, and exclusively to some marketing connections with NIKE, and other organizations which we either are already trying to work with or any AD with a pulse could get.