Basketball Assistant Henson leaves for UNLV

Papa_Bull

Guest Hoops McKnight

Steve,

Frankly, I think you're over-reacting to this departure.  ACs move around all of the time, and McMurphy doesn't say whether Henson's becoming Kruger's #1 AC or not (not sure what his position was for McCullum).  I'd be willing to bet he'll be making more $$...

From my conversations with Kirk, Kruger earns a lot of loyalty from his former ACs - the "when he speaks I listen" kind.  And as any other good boss in any other business, McCullum would ENCOURAGE one of his ACs to take another job that would help him obtain his career goals, especially if he knew and respected who was offering the better position.

I do recall that USF was going to increase the BB budget in order to better compete in the NBE, but a 25% increase still is $300K/yr less than UNLV's 2002 budget.  I'm also willing to bet that they've boosted theirs by some significant amount in order to entice Kruger to sign (just a guess...).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papa_Bull

• Velcro

• BullDoug

• bulls96go

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

its nothing to worry about... the departures leave PLENTY of time to find assistants and it wouldn't be at the cost of any other area.  They can't coach players until october... their schedule isn't overloaded at the moment.  If this was during the season, maybe i'd worry, but not now, not in May.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I'd love to have Reggie Kohn hired as a USF Basketball assistant. Eventually some College will grab him up and it won't be too long.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

I agree completely Howie

Guest S.  Bien
Steve,

Frankly, I think you're over-reacting to this departure.  ACs move around all of the time, and McMurphy doesn't say whether Henson's becoming Kruger's #1 AC or not (not sure what his position was for McCullum).  I'd be willing to bet he'll be making more $$...

From my conversations with Kirk, Kruger earns a lot of loyalty from his former ACs - the "when he speaks I listen" kind.  And as any other good boss in any other business, McCullum would ENCOURAGE one of his ACs to take another job that would help him obtain his career goals, especially if he knew and respected who was offering the better position.

I do recall that USF was going to increase the BB budget in order to better compete in the NBE, but a 25% increase still is $300K/yr less than UNLV's 2002 budget.  I'm also willing to bet that they've boosted theirs by some significant amount in order to entice Kruger to sign (just a guess...).

Good points, and thanks for the posts, and suggestions.

What can you say, after going 7-22 everything seems like a poison pill!  

I just worry about the compounding situation.  Every so often you see good coaches that have one bad thing happen after another, some of it is not their doing.  Coach Willard when he was at Pitt comes to mind.  This Henson thing was probably right for all parties, but it was one of those things like, why now!  We needed that like a hole in the head.

I just hope this is the last of the pitfalls, and we can recover well.

• Topic Count:  1,043
  • Content Count:  7,613
  • Days Won:  10

It could be that Henson sees the path to a HC position going through UNLV vs. USF.  Perhaps Kruger promised him that he'd groom him as his replacement there, something that CRM maybe didn't feel he was ready for at this stage of his career.

Who knows, maybe his sinuses couldn't stand the humidity and he was looking for work in the desert.  Maybe he wants to date a showgirl...

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the AD situation.

Let CRM get someone in here who wants to be here and let's move on.

As far back as March 17 Henson was named as a possible assistant for UNLV:

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Kruger not wasting any time getting established

By STEVE CARP

REVIEW-JOURNAL

Lon Kruger

New UNLV coach met with assistants, spoke with returning players

Monday was a busy day for Lon Kruger when he was named UNLV's basketball coach. But he made time to meet with the program's current staff and talk to his future players.

Kruger visited with interim head coach Jay Spoonhour and assistants Dave Rice, Deane Martin and Vince Booker, and talked by phone with the majority of the players who will be eligible to return next season.

"I'm very impressed with them," Kruger said Tuesday of the current staff. "I know Jay, and he's done a tremendous job. I didn't know David, but I had heard a lot of good things about him, and I was very impressed with him. He's very bright."

Kruger said he hopes to rely on the staff's expertise in the coming weeks as he wraps up recruiting. UNLV has two scholarships available. Kruger also indicated he may hire an assistant by the end of the week.

Kruger met with Southern California assistant Marvin Menzies on Monday night. Menzies, 41, has strong West Coast ties, having been the former head coach at Santa Monica Junior College. He also was the chief recruiter for Steve Fisher at San Diego State for four seasons before joining Henry Bibby's staff at USC.

Steve Henson, an assistant at South Florida and a former member of Kruger's staff with the Atlanta Hawks and at Illinois, also is a possible candidate to come to UNLV.

Kruger said he plans to be on the road recruiting by the weekend. He said he will attend Thursday's Board of Regents meeting, where his five-year contract is up for approval. Kruger said he has not seen the final contract, so he preferred not to comment until it was done.

"I don't think there are any major obstacles at this point," he said.

Athletic director Mike Hamrick said he had not sent the contract to the regents and reiterated his stance from Monday that the details would be provided at Thursday's meeting at Desert Research Institute.

Las Vegas regent Steve Sisolak said he was waiting to see something from UNLV.

"I still haven't seen the contract," Sisolak said. "Nothing against the new coach, but I'm not going to support it if I only have 10 minutes to read it."

But on March 18 an article indicated that Henson was going to stay with USF. I don't know what happened to change his mind:

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Kruger hires assistant Menzies

By STEVE CARP

REVIEW-JOURNAL

BOISE, Idaho -- New UNLV basketball coach Lon Kruger has made his first hire, tapping assistant Marvin Menzies, primarily to handle West Coast recruiting.

Both Kruger and Menzies confirmed the hiring Wednesday, but both wanted to withhold comment until the move is official. An announcement probably will be made Friday.

Menzies, 41, spent this season on Henry Bibby's staff at Southern California.

Previously, Menzies spent four years at San Diego State. He also had a successful run as head coach at Santa Monica Junior College and worked at Sacramento State.

Menzies is expected to travel with Kruger this weekend to take advantage of the recruit-contact period. UNLV has two available scholarships, and Kruger said he wants to sign two big men.

Vince Booker will return to his position as director of basketball operations for now. He had been elevated to assistant coach when Charlie Spoonhour resigned Feb. 17.

Kruger was introduced Monday as Spoonhour's replacement.

Kruger said he spoke with Steve Henson, his longtime assistant at Illinois and with the Atlanta Hawks, about joining his staff at UNLV. But Henson, now an assistant at South Florida, will remain with the Bulls.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

I love Tampa.  I think it's one of the best places to live in America.  Beautiful beaches, outstanding golf, warm weather year-round, and a thriving nightlife with a truly rich cultural history.  

But... Vegas??  Vegas baby!  Vegas!  And the chance to work for a proven college coaching winner (and a friend) with NBA experience?  I don' t think we can blame Coach Henson for taking this one.  Coach Mac will be fine, and he'll get someone in here that shares his vision for how to build this program.  

Could my dream of a home-and-home with the Rebels (and the ensuing roadie to Sin City) be far behind?  Heck for this one, I say let's take a 2-for-1 deal and some cash, and head to the desert twice!!  Vegas baby!  Vegas!!  

A Blackjack and Basketball Roadtrip... sponsored by the USF Athletic Department!  The mere thought will get through work today:)

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923

on March 18 an article indicated that Henson was going to stay with USF. I don't know what happened to change his mind:
$$$$$$$$!