NCAA's directors endorses rescinding the 5/8 rule.

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.
...But the board of directors, a coalition of NCAA presidents, is the only legislative body that can make new rules. They meet next week.

If the rule is overturned, college coaches can start signing more players before the end of the month-long spring signing period in mid-May, provided they don't eclipse the 13-scholarship maximum per roster...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=1785919

Q: If it happens, will Coach sign another player?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Q: If it happens, will Coach sign another player?

I thought he was supposed to hold a press conference today on the new class. Maybe someone will ask him.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

i trust coach mac

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Sports

McCullum announces late signees

By Anthony Gagliano

Staff Writer

April 21, 2004

USF men's basketball coach Robert McCullum announced his 2004 late signing class at a news conference Tuesday and said that all three newcomers could possibly crack the Bulls' starting lineup next season, even if he had trouble pronouncing one of their names.

The team added guard Montavious Waters and forwards Marius Prekevicius -- whose name McCullum took the time to correctly pronounce -- and Maurice Mobley to go with guard Collin Dennis and forward Solomon Jones, who both signed in the fall. However, McCullum said he might not be done in the late recruiting period and hinted he might sign one or even two more players.

There were two common themes among McCullum's first recruiting class at USF -- all of them can score and all will come into the program and compete immediately for playing time.

"There could be nine or 10 guys, undoubtedly, capable of starting," McCullum said. "The bench is the best weapon out there. So there could be not that much of a difference between the guy who starts and the guy who doesn't. And you want it that way."

McCullum said transfer guard Chris Capko, who came to the Bulls midseason from the University of Florida and will be eligible after fall grades come out, could also be added to this recruiting class. Capko, who is a walk-on and will not be on scholarship, has the advantage of being with the team and becoming accustomed to McCullum's system, which will enhance his ability to earn playing time, according to McCullum.

The abilities to score and play right away were crucial to all three recruits, McCullum said. Waters brings a developed 6-foot-3, 195-pound frame to the point guard position out of Westover High School in Albany, Ga., where he averaged 19.5 points a game and made first-team all state. Waters and Dennis could form the Bulls' starting backcourt when the team enters the Big East in 2005.

"In four years, they have the potential to have people saying, 'How did they get those two guys?'" McCullum said.

However, even with the senior backcourt tandem of Bradley Mosley and Brian Swift returning next season, McCullum said he doesn't plan to redshirt either Dennis or Waters, which, if done, would give them four years in the Big East, because "we want to create as competitive of an atmosphere as we possibly can ... and they won't be as prepared to play in the Big East if they redshirt because they would not have the game experience. We need to get those guys 28 to 30 games (and that) will mean far more than if they redshirted and furthermore, they're too good and too talented."

Prekevicius, who will play for the Lithuanian under-21 team this summer, brings three years of eligibility after playing one year at Weatherford College in Texas. Prekevicius previously played one year of high-school ball at Florida Air Academy in Melbourne.

Mobley brings the size, checking in at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Playing for Parkland College in Champaign, Ill., he averaged 12.1 points and 8.8 rebounds to earn all-conference and all-region honors.

Though all the players McCullum brought in are capable of putting points on the board, something McCullum indicated was problematic at times during last season, that doesn't necessarily mean the Bulls will stray away from going through Terrence Leather, who proved he was capable of being a go-to player last season.

"It won't change very much in terms of what we do, although I won't sit here and tell you we'll do the exact same things we did last year. Keep in mind, players make plays work," McCullum said. "All those things we've done, we'll execute a lot better because we'll have more players and better players than we had last year."

College basketball

Recruits should add some competition in the lineup

By ANTHONY GAGLIANO

Published April 21, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - As many as four new faces could dot USF's starting lineup in 2004.

Those were coach Robert McCullum's words as the Bulls announced their spring signings Tuesday. The team added guard Montavious Waters and forwards Marius Prekevicius and Maurice Mobley on Wednesday and guard Collin Dennis and forward Solomon Jones in the fall. It's possible one or two more signings could come.

"There could be nine or 10 guys, undoubtedly, capable of starting," McCullum said. "The bench is the best weapon out there. So there could be not that much of a difference between the guy who starts and the guy who doesn't. And you want it that way."

Waters brings a 6-3, 195-pound frame to the point guard position out of Westover High in Albany, Ga., where he averaged 19.5 points and made first-team all-state.

Waters and Dennis, a 6-2, 180-pounder from North Richland Hills, Texas, could form the starting backcourt when the team enters the Big East in 2005.

"They have the potential to have people saying, "How did they get those two guys,' " McCullum said.

Prekevicius, 6-5, plays for the Lithuanian under-21 team this summer. He brings three years of eligibility after playing one year at Weatherford College in Texas.

Mobley brings the size, checking in at 6-5, 240 pounds. Playing for Parkland College in Champaign, Ill., he averaged 12.1 points and 8.8 rebounds to earn all-conference and all-region honors.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

"They have the potential to have people saying, "How did they get those two guys,' " McCullum said.

I like that quote, but of course the key word is potential... hopefully the potential is realized and exceeded.

Guest BasketBull.

Although I support Coach Mac and the new staff, I'll wait to make my judgment (2 more seasons). Of course, I'm pulling for them to succeed.

I'll say this much: If we end up with 2 or 3 JUCOs in the next signing class, I'll be disappointed.

Cincy and Louisville have been a few of the toughest teams we've played over the years in C-USA, but in the New Big East they will not be the only ones...

It's going to be insane in the New Big East.

The basketball hurricane is coming: JUCOs and Walk-ons are tantamount to patching up a trailer and hoping the storm will pass...

I know, I'm trying to be patient...

I like that quote, but of course the key word is potential... hopefully the potential is realized and exceeded.

Speaking of potential, I'm not sure if this article on Waters was posted here previously. I know there were many articles on Dennis:

Rising Waters

Westover High School junior Montavious Waters has made quite an impact on the Patriots since transferring from Lee County.

SCOTT CHANCEY

STAFF WRITER

ALBANY  On the basketball court, Westover High School's Montavious Waters has been soaring.

Off it, he has remained grounded. His two uncles, Ricky Waters and Jeff Waters, wouldn't want it any other way.

They don't want Montavious Waters to soar too high. After all, in their minds, he still has some work to do.

Just when it seemed the junior could do no wrong while he was scoring a career-high 42 points to rally the Patriots from a 15-point third quarter deficit in to a 74-61 victory over cross-city rival Dougherty Saturday night, his uncles felt otherwise.

"I went into a zone. When I'm in a zone, I feel no one can stop me," Waters said. "But after the game, they didn't say anything about the 42 points."

Instead, they got onto him for his two turnovers.

"They said that was one too many turnovers," Waters said with a laugh. "They said it almost cost us the game. But I like that. They talk about the things I don't do well. They're my biggest critics."

The uncles are brothers of Montavious' father, Jerome Waters, who was the second-oldest brother growing up. Ricky Waters is the oldest brother, and Jeff Waters is the youngest.

Montavious Waters started his prep basketball career where his two uncles and father had theirs  at Lee County.

Basketball sort of runs in the Waters' family.

"It's definitely like a tradition," Waters said. "If you're a Waters, nine times out of 10 you are going to pick up a basketball."

At Lee County, he averaged 16 points per game his freshman year and 19 his sophomore season. Because his family wanted to live in a bigger house, Waters said they moved to Albany and into the Westover district.

Ironically, Waters and the rest of his Westover teammates played and defeated Lee County Tuesday night by the score of 61-36. Waters scored eight points Tuesday night and now is averaging 15 per game along with 4.5 assists and six rebounds.

"Having a point guard like Montavious brings a lot to the team," said head coach Dallis Smith, whose Patriots are ranked No. 2 in Class AAA. "He can take us to another level."

Montavious Waters' uncles weren't the only ones to see his potential for playing basketball while growing up. His mother, Catherine Gammage, also saw in her son a future on the hardwood.

"I don't remember this, but my mom said when I was 5, I made my own basketball goal," Montavious said. "She said I got a five-gallon bucket and nailed it to a 2-by-4 and put it in the front yard. Even though I had a little goal in the house, I still wanted a 'big-boy' goal."

Shortly after that, Montavious Waters said his mother sent him to the Dwight Harris Basketball Camp at Americus' Staley Middle School.

"There were teen-agers there," he said. "I was the youngest guy at the camp. I was 5. And I was named MVP of the whole camp."

Montavious Waters' drive to succeed was instilled by his uncles.

"Growing up, all I heard was about how good my uncles were," he said. "And ever since I've been able to hold a basketball, they've instilled in me to work hard and never give up. What you put into it is what you get out of it."

Also in Montavious Waters' mind, success depends on what you wear and what time you go to bed the previous night.

"I'm very superstitious," he said with a chuckle. "I wear the same shirt under my jersey for each game."

Thank goodness he said he washes it after each game.

"If I don't go to sleep by at least 10:30 or 11 p.m. the previous night, I won't have a good game the next night," he added.

Last Friday, the day before Montavious Waters reached his career high, he said he went to bed at 10 p.m.

Chances are Montavious Waters probably went to bed even earlier last night. Tonight, the Patriots (11-2) will battle third-ranked Monroe.

No matter how good Montavious Waters gets, however, his family will see to it he stays grounded.

"My family is the best thing," he said. "They help me stay humble. If it wasn't for God, I wouldn't be here, and I wouldn't have the talent and the work ethic."

Scott Chancey can be reached at (229) 888-9307.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

solid guards for 4 yrs

ok power forward and small forward for 3 yrs

no true center - find one next year recruiting

looks like we will be solid going into BE

if we play good fundamntals like i saw at the end of this

year we will be more competetive in the BE than most think  

• Topic Count:  9,900