Softball signs JUCO Standout

Papa_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Nice to see USF able to keep recruiting brothers and sisters of former USF players:

From GoUSFBulls.com:

USF Softball (Women)

News Back

USF Signs JUCO Standout

TAMPA, Fla. (April 15, 2004)-The University of South Florida softball team is pleased to announce the signing of Kim Riker to a National Letter of Intent. Riker has been a two-year starting catcher for Manatee Community College under head coach Jeff Roberts.

The Palmetto High graduate is currently batting .326 with six doubles and 20 RBI. She has been a part of back-to-back Suncoast Conference championships in her career. Riker was named Second-Team All-Conference as a freshman.

“We are very excited to have her as a part of our softball family,†commented USF Associate head coach Stacey Heintz. “She will add in all aspects of our program.â€Â

In her senior year at Palmetto, Riker hit .430 with 36 RBI. She is the younger sister of USF all-time steal leader Shelly Riker.

Riker joins a recruiting class that features Carly Griffin, a senior at Chamberlain and Bree Sprence from Countryside. All three will join the team in the fall of 2004.

Kim was also All State first team Catcher in 2002:

http://floridavarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=104731

Posted on Thu, Apr. 08, 2004

70211435687.jpg

ALEX DIAZ-The Herald  

Palmetto High grads Kim Riker and Brian Peacock have continued their successful athletic careers for the MCC Lancers' softball and baseball programs.

Trusting catchers Kim Riker and Brian Peacock comes easy

BRADENTON - Trusting catchers Kim Riker and Brian Peacock comes easy for members of the Manatee Community College softball and baseball teams.

The Palmetto High graduates possess traits every manager looks for in a receiver: enthusiasm, durability, a level head and a knack for commanding respect from teammates.

Lancers softball coach Jeff Roberts relies on the 20-year-old sophomore Riker to handle the pitching staff, position fielders and help freshmen adjust to the rigors of junior college. Her steady guidance is a major reason the Lancers are 43-11 and state tournament-bound entering Tuesday's doubleheader at Pasco-Hernando CC.

"From her personal life to softball to her performance in school, Kim in my opinion is the perfect young lady," Roberts said. "I don't think I've ever had another girl who I have as much trust in to make the right decisions, on and off the field.

"She has brought our team together as a family."

Peacock's gung-ho personality and non-stop chatter are a breath of fresh air for MCC baseball coach Tim Hill, whose teams have leaned toward being reserved - almost laid-back - the past few seasons.

"Brian has always had that enthusiasm," Hill said of his prize freshman. "We noticed that watching him at Palmetto and with Dwayne Strong's (American Legion Post 24) club. He has improved every season we've seen him and continues to do so.

"When you have guys like that who want to excel, have the ability and continue to improve, it makes coaching a tremendous joy," Hill said.

Both Riker and Peacock have been stationed behind the plate since the beginning. Both crave the control that accompanies catching and are happy to endure the bruises and hard knocks integral to the job.

Riker had no competition when she first went out for catcher at age 9 on the local Linda's Nursery recreational team.

"I think the other girls knew it was a hard position and they didn't want to work at it," she said. "I knew I could do it, and I would try to beat anyone who tried to take it away."

Peacock, 19, followed in the footsteps of his older brother Randall, who was also a catcher. But Peacock's mother said he was cut out to don catching gear before he ever put on shin guards.

"When Brian was 3, if you threw him a ball, he would pretend he was a catcher," Kathy Robey said. "He just likes the dirt, grime and hard work. It kind of matches his personality."

By nature, Peacock is a take-charge youngster.

"The Brian you see on the field is the same Brian off the field," said stepfather Bill Robey.

Peacock doesn't hesitate to throw behind base runners and has picked off a few this season, a la one of his idols, Detroit catcher Pudge Rodriguez. He talks about blocking pitches in the dirt with the fervor horse players speak of a sure thing.

At the outset of the fall season, Hill wasn't sure how Peacock's ebullient, outspoken nature would be accepted by his older teammates.

He needn't have worried. Peacock's love for the game is as genuine as his mop of straw-colored hair. He is batting .324 with three home runs and 26 runs batted in for MCC (28-14, 11-3) which is ranked No. 3 in the state and is in first place in the Suncoast Conference entering Friday's game at 6 p.m. against visiting Polk CC.

"He's an excited player who wants to be out here as much as anyone, and people look up to him for that," said sophomore third baseman Jason Louwsma. "I played against him two years ago in the Legion state tournament, and he is not a guy you want to play against because he's always yelling at you and stuff. But I love having him on my team."

Riker's teammates feel the same way. Their confidence in her is a direct extension of her own faith. She leads the team in prayer before each game and is someone friends feel comfortable seeking out for guidance.

"You can come to her with any problem, big or small," said freshman outfielder Turtle Phillips, "and she will always have something positive to say."

Riker may come off as soft-spoken, even demure, but she cherishes the leadership role she inherited as a second-year player.

"The hardest part of my job is keeping everybody on the team happy. Girls softball is an emotional game, and one hit, one error - one anything - can make a big difference," Riker said.

Earlier this season, Riker elected to sign with the University of South Florida, where her sister Shelly is a senior outfielder. Her choice was a blessing for her parents, Darrell and Sheryl, who try to attend all of their daughters' games.

Riker has shown she is ready for the next step, batting .320 for the Lancers and swinging the bat with more authority than she did as a freshman.

After graduating from Palmetto last spring, Peacock was chosen in the 22nd round of the major league draft by Oakland. But he believed he would have a better chance at making it in the professional ranks by coming to MCC first. He trained religiously in the fall, staking a clear-cut claim to the job.

"I kind of put everything in God's hands and let things happen," Peacock said. "I know He is always there with me when I'm playing, so I have that element of success with me."

If the similarities between Riker and Peacock seem striking, consider: Kathy Robey and Darrell Riker both are 1975 graduates of Palmetto High.

A generation later, their offspring are doing their alma mater proud while guiding their junior college teams to lofty heights.

COLLEGE SOFTBALL/BASEBALL

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/2004/04/08/sports/8380786.htm

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

WTG!

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

keep the tradition alive