Men's bball recruiting. Another JUCO?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Last year 6 CUSA teams made the tournament.  We had 1 conference win.  In order for us to get to .500 we need 7 more conference wins.  Is it possible, of course.   Should we expect that bringing in some juco's should automatically make us contenders... no way.  I hope that is the case... but its totally unrealistic.  The key is to improve as much as we can, and then do the same thing moving into the big east.  By the time we get into the big east... there should be a good talent improvement, thanks to the jucos having a year experience in cusa, our current incoming frosh, and mac's new recruits, which will come from a totally different (and better) pool of players during the early signing period.  I am really not worried about our first year in the big east.  Next season, yes, but i can't wait to watch.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• Papa_Bull

• bulls96go

• smazza

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

No doubt about next years early signing period Velcro, we should be getting much better players or should I say more highly regarded because one never knows for sure.  But I cann't agree with you on next year.  The whole purpose of bringing in Jucos is for immediate impact and we should expect or at least have a goal of 500 record in conference play and above 500 overall.  If you believe in Macs system,which I do, defense is a key and that is what will keep us in alot of games.  He is bring in shooters and some solid post players based on what I am reading.  These guys will need to contribute right away. Now if we play some brutal OOC schedule I will step back but otherwise 500+ or bust.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I don't know how many games USF will win, but it seems like we should have a much more well rounded offense.

It would be nice for someone to list all the stats for the incoming class. I understand that HS or JUCO stats do not necessarily translate into how well someone will perform in C-USA, but they are at least a benchmark.

Maurice Mobley, for example, completed 63.54% of his field goals (115 of 181/att) over 23 games.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm?menu=3&sid=5&stat_type=i&gender=m&divid=2&slid=2&seasonselect=222&report_id=164&requesttimeout=500

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

dabull, i definitely like your analysis... and can see how it could work out that we even get 15-18 wins... but... after 7 wins... doubling our win total requires alot of things to go right and certain things, like injuries etc, can't happen.

If we stay healthy, and someone besides mosley and leather can provide a solid 3rd scoring option, and someone can step up and fill the HUGE void on defense left by Gerrick Morris' graduation, then we can be successful.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23

note: Disclamier: I am not inclined to take JUCOs, BUT,

Anderson at UAB effected a quick turnaround of the Murray Bartow mess by using JUCOs.

The "right" JUCOs could be a "short term" solution to our "under talented" team.

just my thought...

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

No wonder Prep Stars like our recruits with Jones averaging 111.5 points a game!  ;D

Waters to South Florida

Phil Fritz, Senior Editor

3 March 2004

Montavious Waters, from Albany Westover, in Georgia, has accepted an offer to play for South Florida.  The 6-3, 195 pound guard also considered Florida State and ST. John’s.  

Waters is the third player to pick South Florida this year.  Guard Dennis Collins, from North Richlands Hills, in Texas, committed earlier.  The 6-2, 170 pound athlete also considered North Carolina-Wilmington, Wichita State and Arkansas-Little Rock.

Big forward Solomon Jones, from Mt. Dora, Florida and Daytona Beach Community College signed during the first signing period.  Jones, who is 6-10 and weighs 210 pounds, also considered Florida State, Georgia, George Mason and Nebraska.  Last season he averaged 111.5 points and seven rebounds per game.  

South Florida has a solid class in the making that should make an important contribution over the next few seasons.

http://www.prepstar.com/ap/scripts/data/football-archive/March_05_04_09:50AM.shtml