Men's bball recruiting. Another JUCO?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

PARKLAND 92, LAKE LAND 68: Lakers no threat to Parkland

BY RICK DAWSON, Staff Writer

MATTOON -- A season spiraling out of control got worse for Lake Land's men's basketball team Wednesday night.

Appearing disinterested and timid from the start, the Lakers fell into a double-digit hole less than six minutes into the game and never seriously threatened Parkland in the second half of a 92-68 loss.

Lake Land coach Jim Dudley was left continuing to puzzle over a team that has shown little spark after two big conference wins at the beginning of the month.

"I don't want to take anything away from their team," Dudley said. "They're good. But we didn't even try to execute the game plan, which could have kept us in the game."

Lake Land, 4-14, 2-4 Collegiate Conference of Central Illinois, also did little to stop center Maurice Mobley in the first half.

The bulky 6-6 sophomore ran rampant on the inside, scoring 20 points and grabbing eight rebounds before the break.

He had 10 points in the first five minutes alone and ended the game with 30 points and 11 rebounds. Mobley shot 9-for-11 from the floor in the first half.

Lake Land big man Michael Wright played less than four minutes, picking up two fouls before three minutes were gone.

And Dudley's reluctance to go deep into his bench against one of the conference favorites -- the Cobras improved to 14-4, 3-1 CCCI -- showed dramatically.

Parkland's reserves outscored Lake Land's 36-21, 36-8 minus Andre Faria, who had 13. Shawn Nevill finished with a team-high 20 points, but the Lakers hit just 7 of their 28 attempts from behind the 3-point arc.

"We had a couple of guys come off the bench and give us some good minutes and gave the other guy some rests," Dudley said. "We just come down and the first guy that feels like it launches it. And we can't play like that against a team like that."

Parkland built a 21-9 lead before Lake Land whittled it to 37-29 late in the first half. But the Cobras closed the half with an 8-0 run and the lead never slipped below 11 after the break.

that says 6'6, so he's getting bigger, hopefully he ends up 7'0 by the time i finish reading reports on him ;) ;D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• Papa_Bull

• bulls96go

• smazza

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Collegiate Conference of Central Illinois 2004 Men’s Basketball All-Conference Teams

First Team: Maurice Mobley Parkland College

http://www.parkland.edu/athletics/CCCIAllConference.pdf

His HS/Hometown is listed as Andress TX

He's listed as #50 so this might be him in the background:

bbllcmp.jpg

here is a highschool game of Maurice's

Caprock loses to El Paso Andress in overtime, 57-55

By LANCE LAHNERT

Globe-News Sports Writer

Caprock boys basketball coach Guy Crenshaw saw his gritty Longhorns go tooth and nail with El Paso Andress for four quarters Thursday evening.

But then Crenshaw saw it.

Crenshaw witnessed exactly what he knows his team must learn to perfect in order to compete for a playoff berth when the rugged District 3-4A race rolls around in early January.

"We have talked about making a play, making a stop, and not making mistakes at the end of games," Crenshaw said.

That pretty much summed up Caprock's tough 57-55 overtime loss to El Paso Andress in the tightest opening round of the three-day 2000 Cal Farley Tip-Off Boys Classic in the CHS Activity Center.

Andress basically produced in the clutch to gain this win.

Andress needed a 3-pointer from Robert Early with 10 seconds to play in regulation to send the game into OT, then benefited from a 7-0 run during the extra four-minute period to deny Caprock a quality win.

Things in OT looked good for Caprock when senior J Fields opened the overtime with a strong baseline drive for a 52-50 lead.

But after Fields' basket the Longhorns missed a layup, an 8-footer, and had two turnovers hurting its chances for a win.

Andress took advantage of Caprock's miscues scoring seven unanswered points in OT, then holding its breath when Fields' running 22-footer at the buzzer missed.

Andress used the overall play of 6-foot-5 senior Maurice Mobley and a swished 3-pointer from Eddie Neal in overtime to capture the victory.

Mobley used his tremendous leaping ability during the OT to score a layup, produce a key blocked shot, and grab three rebounds. Mobley scored a game-high 20 points.

Neal's 3-pointer from the corner put Andress ahead for good 53-52 with 2:31 to play in the game.

The game was close throughout, but Caprock appeared to take control midway through the fourth period.

The Longhorns led 48-45 with 3:01 to play following driving baskets by Mike Snellgrove, Kyle Burgess, along with a put-back after an offensive rebound from Josh Cordell.

However, Caprock failed to close out the athletic Andress.

"Andress did a good job," Crenshaw said. "But we have to learn to play better at the end of games. We needed to block-out better. Blocking out is a dirty word. ...but it has to be done."

Caprock was paced in scoring by John Cherry's 14 points, while Derrick Collins added 13.

The loss dropped Caprock to 3-4. The Longhorns continue action in this tourney sponsored by Kids, Inc. at 11 this morning against El Paso High.

In the other four first round games, Palo Duro, Amarillo High, Tascosa and El Paso Bel Air claimed victories advancing to this morning's second round.

Palo Duro used a strong second half to dump El Paso High 71-61 in the first game of the day.

The Dons outscored El Paso 42-31 over the final two quarters and received a game-high 17 points from freshman guard Kyle Shields. Steve Chavez added 14 points helping the Dons on offense.

El Paso Bel Air jumped out to a 21-7 lead over Pampa in the first quarter and cruised to a 64-39 win in the most lopsided opening round game.

Bel Air was led by Matt Enriquez' 18 points.

Amarillo High used 23 points from Matt Sherwood to turn back Mineral Wells 64-49.

The Sandies (5-4) held Mineral Wells to 21 points in the second half, braking open the close game. Andrew Patterson also found double figures for AHS with 14 points.

In the first round finale, Tascosa used a 24-point third quarter to ease past Borger 87-69.

Borger led 16-12 after the first period, but Tascosa used the play of seniors Jimmy Woodring and Steve Jackson to beat the Bulldogs. Woodring scored a game-high 23, while Jackson added 18.

Eron Haynes and Scott Gaines each scored 11 points for Borger.

Basically what i'm seeing...

short for a big man, but good size/build... tremendously athletic, can leap out of the building, tremendous power.

The funny thing is I happened to find a story on Rivals about him, but he doesn't show up on their database.  ;D

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

Basically what i'm seeing...

short for a big man, but good size/build... tremendously athletic, can leap out of the building, tremendous power.

Or, at least elevate his 240 lbs high enough to dunk...

at least one writer describes his "tremendous leaping ability" which sounds like it might be something which a non-tremendous leaper would be lacking.

WHATEVER - I'll wait till he gets here and then we can all see him first-hand against Division I competition. I will say once again that I trust Mccullum's judgement and I will take a wait-and-see approach for the time being.

According to an opposing Coach, "Mobley is one of the best inside players in the country.":

http://www.dancomnews.com/articles/2004/01/27/sports/sports02.txt

In the game that followed, Parkland's Maurice Mobley,  scored a team-high 16 points and pulled down 11 rebounds.

http://www.dancomnews.com/articles/2004/01/29/sports/sports02.txt

great finds howie, you still are king of links

Guest S.  Bien
According to an opposing Coach, "Mobley is one of the best inside players in the country.":

http://www.dancomnews.com/articles/2004/01/27/sports/sports02.txt

In the game that followed, Parkland's Maurice Mobley,  scored a team-high 16 points and pulled down 11 rebounds.

http://www.dancomnews.com/articles/2004/01/29/sports/sports02.txt

Boy, his coach is writing some pretty expensive checks on Maurice's behalf.  He's compared him to Karl Malone, except without the height, 22 inch biceps, and thunderous moves.  Now he's one of the best inside players in the country?  And he only averaged 12pts, and 8 rebounds a game in the CC of Illinois league?  

Someone might need a little deeper perspective, or get told that Mobley already has the scholarships, so enough of the crazy comparisons, and outlandish descriptions.