Spring Game updates?

Bullshiznitz

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Ahhh ... thanx for thinking for me Mike  8)

I stopped my "Space Invader" for you  ;D I'm a Natural Born Giver  ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E.T.

• Papa_Bull

• Ricky the Bull

• ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869
  • Days Won:  0

MikeG-

Yep that was me.  One cup of coffee is not enough for the drive from Orlando in the AM.  I will make it a point to introduce myself to you all next time.  I had invited folks from Orlando yesterday and had to hussle to meet em, they bought seats. Our little Orlando group is now 10 seats strong. I am sure others make the drive from O town but I haven't met them yet.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

do we practice in the summer?

We won't ... as a team until mid-August when the "Fall" practices start.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I to was worried about the O but I did pick up a positive thought reading the posts here.  I believe its safe to say the Bulls are deepest at LB & DL.  OL starters probaby have two levels of talent after 6 maybe 7 meaning the over all quality of OL play is definitely below par.  It would of been nice to watch 1s on 1s at sometime Sat. but I"m not the HC.  I think the Bull D will not lose anything.  I'm definitely concerned with the WRs hands.  I think Kraky could be a solid No. 2 and will really push PJ hard next yr.  Sorry I missed the BBC t'gate.  I brought my Dad and he wanted to eat "inside" instead of eating picnic food.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Hey I havent been on the board for awhile and was unable to attend the spring game like I had planned.  My father was diagnosed with Cancer 1 month ago, and I have been preoccupied.

But I do have a few questions.  Are we still running the Run and Shoot offense?  Or have they changed up the offensive scheme a little bit like we have hoped? 2 back set ect?

Also it has been said that the Defense as a whole looked very good, but more specifically how did the secondary look without Reed and Verpale back there?  

Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Am I the only one that thought Kraky was off the mark most of the afternoon? Ronnie looked average at best, but had many balls intended to Bruce Gipson dropped after hitting his hands. He positioned the ball well into certain coverages, the receivers just didn't make any plays. Pat's numbers should speak for themselves. If he gets the starting edge over Banks, I hope it's not the same Pat that played yesterday. He is a solid #2, but I'm not sure how he can be penciled in as the starter if he performs like he did yesterday.

Is anyone besides me wondering if Geisler will get a chance to do extra points and field goals? Is is time for Leavitt to let go of his Gramatica fetish and let the kid with the booming foot a chance to kick? We are inexperieced in the defensive backfield... picking Javon Camon as a captain is very interesting to say the least.

'spence,

My Prayers to your father and family.

To answer some of your Q's ... we are still "Run & Shoot" don't think I saw a QB under center once.

The D was very strong, and I feel our secondary will be fine ... maybe because the Front Seven is so strong.

Sheriff,

Kraky was off on many passes and it didn't seem to be WR's faults. He waited to long to make the read from what I saw. Ronnie was average at best and unfortunately was the best of the 3 IMO ...

... but this was only 1 practice outta many this spring and RB is recovering the knee ...

They do need to get better during the fall and I hope the O-Line is healthy ... very concerned about Sarosi.

Go BULLS !!!

Published Sunday, April 11, 2004

Green Wins Spring Game Over White

By TED BECK

Ledger Correspondent

TAMPA -- The University of South Florida concluded its schedule of 15 spring practices Saturday with the team's spring game at Raymond James Stadium.

The Green team defeated the White, 10-6.

Head coach Jim Leavitt saw a lot of good come out of spring workouts and is ready to focus on the 2004 schedule.

"I'm excited now," Leavitt said. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity to play Pittsburgh (Sept. 4) and Tennessee Tech (Sept. 11)."

The game started out fast as senior defensive back A.J. Brant intercepted a pass by the White team's Evan Kraky on the third play of the game. The next play resulted in a 40-yard touchdown run for senior Brian Fisher.

Fisher played wide receiver last season for the Bulls. Leavitt may move him to running back in the fall with the loss of DeJuan Green. Green accounted for onethird of the team's rushing yards last season.

"I'm really encouraged with Brian Fisher," Leavitt said. "He showed he can play the running back position very well."

After Fisher's touchdown, no points would be scored until the end of the third quarter, when the Green team's Justin Geisler kicked a 31-yard field goal, giving the team a 10-0 lead.

The first half and much of the third quarter featured strong defense as the teams combined for 18 punts between scores.

Last year's starting quarterback Ronnie Banks and backups Pat Julmiste, Evan Kraky and Anthony Severino played most of the game under pressure from the defensive front fours of both teams.

Craig Kobel and Kathleen's Tim Jones each recorded two sacks for the Green team. Quarterbacks were sacked 11 times.

The White team finally got on the board midway through the final quarter when Banks completed a 14-yard touchdown to senior wide receiver Allynson Sheffield, making the score 10-6.

Published Sunday, April 11, 2004

USF's Jones Saddles Up for Senior Season

By TED BECK

Ledger Correspondent

TAMPA -- Kathleen has produced plenty of current NFL players, including Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell and Bears tight end Desmond Clark.

Tim Jones hopes to be the next.

Jones will enter his senior year at USF in the fall and is hoping to gain enough recognition to have a chance at the NFL.

Jones started 11 games last season for the Bulls at defensive end and will likely start again this year. However, he is taking nothing for granted.

"I'm going to do whatever I have to do," Jones said after the spring game Saturday at Raymond James Stadium.

Jones played on the Green team, which won, 10-6, over the White team in USF's annual spring contest. He recorded two sacks and also pressured the White team's quarterbacks.

"Tim did some things today," head coach Jim Leavitt said following the spring game. "He is a big old horse who can run."

However, injuries have plagued Jones this spring as he sprained his MCL in the beginning of spring workouts. He also injured his right shoulder during a tackle Saturday.

Last season, Jones recorded 48 tackles and 21/2 sacks for the Bulls in his first season at defensive end. Jones moved from tight end to defensive end in 2002.

He played both positions at Kathleen when he was second team all-state during his senior season in 2000.

"I had some good memories at Kathleen," Jones said. "We lost just about every game, so it feels good to see them winning today."

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Thanks E.T.