USF vs #17 ECU

ECU_Pirate

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

if you mean have her pitching overhand, I HIGHLY doubt she would hit the 80's.  One, it is a completely different motion and arm usage from underhand to overhand.  Two, no offense, but she is a girl.  Many guys would have problems breaking into the 80's.  

This is very true.  I grew up playing baseball and even pitched some (although not by the time I reached high school).  I did play catcher for years, though, and I have a decent enough arm.  A couple of years ago I was at the Oakland A's Fan Appreciation day (held in the offseason right before spring training starts).  They had a booth with a radar gun for everybody to try pitching into.  There were a bunch of high schoolers there clearly hoping to get noticed mixed in with the kids, and I took my son and we both got in line.  Long story short, nobody reached 80 mph.  I threw the ball as hard as I could and reached 74.  Not sure it's a valid comparison to what they measure for pitchers (longer distance, not standing on concrete and throwing from a mound at a slightly downhill angle), but it was amazing to see that nobody sniffed 80 mph.  

USFFan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papa_Bull

• Hummell

• Velcro

• ECU_Pirate

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

ECU Coach Scared of USF?  ::)

Friday, April 9, 2004

Sports

Pirates return home to face USF

By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor

GREENVILLE -- After an eight-game road trip, the East Carolina Pirates finally return to Harrington Field for a weekend series against the South Florida Bulls.

The first game begins tonight at 7, followed by Saturday's game at 6 p.m. and Sunday's game at 1 p.m.

"South Florida (23-8, 7-2) scares me," ECU coach Randy Mazey said. "They can really hit. They're ahead of us in the league and they're playing with a lot of confidence.

"They have the whole team back from last year offensively. They could really hit last year, so they're swinging the bats really well. A lot of people think they're the best team in the league right now. It's going to be a heck of a series."

The Pirates (25-6, 6-3 Conference USA) are riding a six-game winning streak after beating Duke 7-5 Wednesday.

While Mazey is happy to be playing at home, he said his Pirates have been well away from Harrington Field.

"We've been playing awful good on the road," he said. "For some reason our guys really like to hit on the road. They did last year and they have so far this year.

"I hope we can continue to swing the bats the way we are regardless of what surface is under our feet."

Though the Pirates were on the road for last weekend's series against Charlotte, which ECU swept, it almost seemed like a home series for the Purple and Gold.

"That was unbelievable," Mazey said of the ECU fans in attendance in Charlotte. "It was probably 10 to 1 more fans than they had. That just says a lot about the East Carolina faithful.

"They were willing to go up there and support us. We outdraw people at a lot of the places we go. That's normal for these people around here. It's like taking 'The Jungle' on the road."

The Pirates will be able to play in front of the home "Jungle" this evening, which excites right fielder Darryl Lawhorn.

"It's going to be great coming back to Greenville and playing in front of these fans," he said. "They're going to be pumped, and we're going to be pumped, too."

Darryl Lawhorn, who has seven homers, 24 RBIs and is hitting .264, is expecting a tough battle with the Bulls.

"They're going to be tough," Darryl Lawhorn said. "They have some good arms on that team and some good bats. They put up a good fight every time we play them, so it's going to be a battle out here at Harrington."

Trevor Lawhorn, Darryl's twin brother, said that his team will look to feed off its momentum thanks to the winning streak. The Pirates swept last weekend's series against Charlotte to move into a fourth place tie in C-USA, one game behind the leaders.

"That was huge," Trevor Lawhorn said of the sweep. "We lost two out of three to Tulane. Those were probably games we should have won. We had to go out and sweep Charlotte just to get us back in the rankings.

"Getting into a winning streak and going into this weekend series with South Florida is big."

Trevor Lawhorn, who leads the team with 13 home runs and 35 RBIs while hitting at a .336 clip, has been named to the first watch list of 30 players for the 2004 Golden Spikes Award. The award is given to the top amateur player in America presented by USA Baseball in partnership with the Major League Baseball Players Association.

USA Baseball will announce their five finalists in June.

South Florida catcher Devan Ivany is also on the list. Ivany is hitting .392 with three homers and 36 RBI. He has also thrown out 12 baserunners.

• Topic Count:  1,043
  • Content Count:  7,613
  • Days Won:  10

Pirates win game #1  6-4

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  5

#17 ECU takes Games 2 from USF

ECU: 10

USF: 5

Currnetly Game three ECU up 10-0.

ECU Pirate

Pirates win 11-1.  Lirette gives up 6 runs in the first (also, one fielding error) and it was downhill from there.

Yikes... let's hope we salvage a game tomorrow.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Pirates win 11-1.  Lirette gives up 6 runs in the first (also, one fielding error) and it was downhill from there.

Yikes... let's hope we salvage a game tomorrow.

Go Bulls!

Thankfully, we are done with the series today.

ECU played very well as expected and we did not.

My bad...forgot about Easter... thanks, Howie.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Ouch. I'm just going to hope that the team just didn't show up for a couple of days...what a way to end a weekend roadtrip. That's going to be a long bus ride back to Tampa.

We have UCF coming into town Tuesday evening - should be fun.