Wikipedia Article Speculates about USF Rivals...

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

Scooby,

This thread is not an exhibiton of UCF hatred. It's an exhibition on how some of us on this board are TRYING to shoove a UCF rivalry down our throats. I have not read one thread about a "rivalry" but, I have read multiple threads about how UCF SHOULD be our rival.  Big difference.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USFMikeB

• USFreak

• Triple B

• Knight_Light

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

This entire thread is almost unbelievable.  A rivalry is not a product of geographic location.  A rivalry is not based on win-loss record.  A rivalry is a result of mutual passion for a game and hatred for the other side.  In other words, exactly what we are exhibiting right now.

Show me a board dedicated to Louisville or a 5 page post about them in the middle of the offseason and maybe I'll start to think of them as a rival.....

Post of the Week!

Scooby said it best.

KL

Hey Joe being from Miami I would have to say according to your logic than Miami and FIU will be a huge rivalry. USF will play UL every year as long as they are in BE they may not play UCF again for a while after this year. I for one would like to see them play a major conference opponent like big ten or sec, thats what gets the team noticed.

Earth to Nukie,

Because USF needs FIVE non-conf games every year to fill out their schedule...chances are...those FIVE games won't be against FIVE BCS Teams Ranked in the Top 25.

(Translation, with FIVE games to fill every year, USF has plenty of ROOM to play 1-2 National Top 20 Programs...as evidence by your 2 games at UF beginning in '08 and your home game vs Miami in '09, plus...a chance to help fill up your stadium with "local games of interest...i.e. UCF)

Since USF won't be scheduling FIVE Top 20 BCS Teams to fill their non-conf schedule....your lame "excuse" on why not to play UCF falls flat.

KL

PS: Here's the distance USF fans will have to go IF they want to see their team play on the road this year. Wonder which one will be the most popular?

1) Orlando--80 miles

2) Chapel Hill, NC--677 miles

3) Louisville, KY--873 miles

4) Cincinnati, OH--917 miles

5) Morgantown, WV--996 miles

6) Lawrence, KS--1,297 miles

Bottom line...a quick road trip 75 miles up the road every other year will be a "bonus" for many USF Fans/Alumni/Students.

Bonus Info: Here's the distance USF Fans/Students will have to travel to all the other Big East Football Members from Tampa:

Pittsburgh: 1,068 miles

Rutgers:     1,105 miles

UCONN:      1,251 miles

Syracuse:   1,288 miles

AVERAGE distance to all 7 Big East Football Members from Tampa, FL:........1,071 miles!!

Just a guess...which do you think the most STUDENTS and FANS from USF will travel to in the future?

A) Any Big East Road Game

B) Road Game at UCF every other year

Good luck!

KL

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

once again location has nothing to do with a rivalry.  a rivalry is made up on people's hatred for a team, and the teams hatred for a team, as well as the school as a whole's hatred for a team.  louisville is a team that a rivalry can come from as can pittsburg.  if your talking about geographic's being the sole thing for a rival, which is your main argument KL, than why can't UF be our rivalry?  miami should be rival's with fiu, since they are from the same city and the campuses are less than 30 miles apart.  don't give me this garbage, and yes marshall would be a better team to play, than ucf because they have national exposure, and are respected in the media and all over the country a hell of a lot more than ucf is

once again location has nothing to do with a rivalry.  a rivalry is made up on people's hatred for a team, and the teams hatred for a team, as well as the school as a whole's hatred for a team.  louisville is a team that a rivalry can come from as can pittsburg.  if your talking about geographic's being the sole thing for a rival, which is your main argument KL, than why can't UF be our rivalry?  miami should be rival's with fiu, since they are from the same city and the campuses are less than 30 miles apart.  don't give me this garbage, and yes marshall would be a better team to play, than ucf because they have national exposure, and are respected in the media and all over the country a hell of a lot more than ucf is

Bullzie...no...distance is not the ONLY factor for making some games exciting for fans/students/alumni.

BUT...in many cases...it certainly helps.

There have been hundreds of posts by others that have mentioned MANY reasons why the UCF/USF game was so popular this fall...and why many are looking forward to it again next year.

Here's just a few reasons why

1) Many players from USF/UCF played against each other in HS

2) USF/UCF battle for top-notch students all over Central Florida...from St Pete to Daytona down to West Palm Beach

3) Many Alumni have friends/colleagues that that went to either school. FACT: More Alumni from USF and UCF live in Central/West Florida than any other 2 schools.

4) Many UCF and USF Alumni live in "enemy" territory and would love to see a game every other year in their "backyard".

5) Just looking at all the message boards out there...the only topic that seems to fire up either USF or UCF fans 24/7 is each other.

6) Many USF/UCF Students have friends that attend the "other" school. Game is a great excuse to meet up for a fun weekend.

Yes...distance can help...but there are SOOO many other factors including HIGH Attendance, etc...that help make this game a "no-brainer".

KL

Just because "people", aka posters on this board, are looking foward to this game doesn't mean everyone is. The game that probably is being cirlced is the Pitt game, with their top 10 recruiting class and Wanstatt (sp?) coaching they might come in needing to win this game.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

This entire thread is almost unbelievable.  A rivalry is not a product of geographic location.  A rivalry is not based on win-loss record.  A rivalry is a result of mutual passion for a game and hatred for the other side.  In other words, exactly what we are exhibiting right now.

Show me a board dedicated to Louisville or a 5 page post about them in the middle of the offseason and maybe I'll start to think of them as a rival.....

You got it.  When a post can actually get to 6 pages I'd normally say there is something different about it.  There is some passion on both sides.  UCF fans calling it a rivalry.  USF fans calling it a rivalry and USF fans trying to defend why it is not a rivalry.

It may not technically be a 'rivalry', but give it whatever word you want to describe it.

How about just "two teams (and two groups of fans) that hate each other"?  In these P.C. days maybe that is what we'll call it until UCF steals our mascot's head.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

You got it.  When a post can actually get to 6 pages I'd normally say there is something different about it.  There is some passion on both sides.  UCF fans calling it a rivalry.  USF fans calling it a rivalry and USF fans trying to defend why it is not a rivalry.

It may not technically be a 'rivalry', but give it whatever word you want to describe it.

How about just "two teams (and two groups of fans) that hate each other"?  In these P.C. days maybe that is what we'll call it until UCF steals our mascot's head.

Indeed.  Those who have to defend why it isn't one in essense are backing why it really is.

There is a mutual hate for both school.  Saying that there is no rivalry because I hate that school is rather silly.

To those "defenders," what are you guys so afraid of?  And to whoever mentioned about the CB being "empty" for the CUSA championship game, you do know that the place holds almost 20,000 more people.  Trust me, the place there was more full than RJS was back in September.

On that note, see you guys this fall.

Those who have to defend why it isn't one in essense are backing why it really is.

I one of those defending it why it's not, what am I suppose to do? Let people on this board tell me I'm suppose to hate UCF?  Again, this thread is about a supposed rivalry with UCF, it's not a rivalry thread that you would read on a UF vs FSU or Miami vs FSU.

I one of those defending it why it's not, what am I suppose to do? Let people on this board tell me I'm suppose to hate UCF?  Again, this thread is about a supposed rivalry with UCF, it's not a rivalry thread that you would read on a UF vs FSU or Miami vs FSU.

Oh...good luck with your "Louisville is USF's REAL Rival" thread...I'm sure hundreds of UL fans will come over and agree.

LOL!!

KL

PS. Yes...most schools that are in conference look forward to many conference games...but most aren't classified as "rivals".

But maybe in 2-3 years...USF will overtake Kentucky as UL's rival...LOL!

In the meantime...better contact all of those reporters from the St Pete Times, Tampa Tribune, Lakeland Ledger, Orlando Sentinel, plus talk radio shows in both markets that SAID that the UCF/USF Game is a rivalry game.

Looks like you will be busy contacting a bunch of people in the near future....

When you get thru the 9,000 plus USF Students who were excited about the UCF Game (highest attended student game this year), then get back to the rest of us.

Good luck with your "UCF isn't a rival" Campaign.