Three More Apply For USF's Vacant AD Position

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I talked to a couple folks out here that are heavily involved in the Tiger Athletic Foundation, and the general concensus is that Radakovich would make a **** good AD.  They said that him leaving would be a true loss for LSU, and a gain for our program.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E.T.

• bulls96go

• USFMikeB

• Ricky the Bull

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

got any QB's wanting playing time??   ;)

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420

Bulls' AD Search Continues

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Apr 7, 2004

TAMPA - Connecticut Associate Athletic Director Tom McElroy and Orange Bowl Chief Executive Officer Keith Tribble met with South Florida officials in San Antonio during the Final Four about USF's vacant AD position.

McElroy and Tribble are considered to be among the top candidates. Neither returned telephone calls Tuesday from the Tribune.

Chuck Neinas, hired by USF to provide finalists to the school's search committee, and USF Vice President Michael Rierson, a member of the search committee, were in San Antonio but would not disclose with whom they spoke.

``I only talked to individuals that may have interest in the position or that USF may be interested in,'' Neinas said. ``It's just a process, like mining a vein.''

Rierson estimated he spoke with at least 40 individuals - either prospective candidates or intermediaries.

``Other than Oklahoma State, UConn, Duke and Georgia Tech, USF had to be the most talked about university in San Antonio,'' Rierson said. ``There was a lot of buzz. I thought there would be a lot of interest in [the AD job], but I was amazed at the extraordinary interest in it on a national level.''

McElroy worked for the Big East Conference from 1981-2001 before being named an associate AD at UConn in August 2001.

From 1993-2001, he was the Big East's senior associate commissioner. He also was the Big East's director of communications and executive producer of the league's television network.

Tribble, named the 12th most powerful person in college football by Sports Illustrated last year, has been with the Orange Bowl since 1993. He was promoted from executive director to CEO in 2000.

He also spent two years as a senior associate AD at UNLV in the early 1990s and was at Florida from 1981-89, advancing to the position of associate AD.

Of USF's six official applicants, Michigan State Associate AD Mark Hollis and LSU Senior Associate AD Dan Radakovich appear to have the strongest credentials.

``My mission is to make the USF search committee's job difficult by providing a number of quality candidates,'' Neinas said. ``I think they'll have a strong field to review.''

Neinas is to present finalists to the search committee by mid-May. After interviews, the committee will forward its comments to President Judy Genshaft, who will select the new AD.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

well thats positive news coming out of the trib for the first time in a while...   ::)

Mike-- maybe it was devine intervention that sent you to LSU for grad school. Since you've been there, they've won a NC, picked up a coach of ours and might give us an ideal AD prospect. What else do you have up your sleeve?

How about a USF-LSU football game?  I actually emailed the AD over here when they had a schedule change a couple months ago, and gave him the relevant numbers at USF... ;D

I contacted Radakovich to wish him luck, and he seems to be dealing with this in a very conservative fashion.  Here's a quick quote from discussing our program:

"I am really happy here at LSU, but I think the challenge would be tremendous at USF. They have great potential and have positioned themselves well in the market."

It's spring break here right now, but if there's a story about this in the Reveille (school paper) next week, I'll make sure to post it.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

is USF going to replace pascal?

i would be interested in that position

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420

is USF going to replace pascal?

i would be interested in that position

Here's your answer Smaz...........

ODDS AND ENDS: Vice president Michael Rierson said an associate athletic director to replace Bobby Paschal, who retires April 15, won't be determined until the new AD is hired. USF, however, will add an additional assistant AD by June 1 to run the business office, associate AD Rick Costello said.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

MORE AD APPLICANTS: USF has four more applicants for its athletic director position - Manhattan AD Robert Byrnes; South Carolina senior associate AD Tom Perry; Texas Rangers vice president for sponsorships Bradley Alberts; and M. Lynne Mullen, president of The Focus Group.

Ten individuals have applied for the job. At last week's Final Four, school officials also met with Connecticut associate athletic director Tom McElroy and Orange Bowl Chief Executive Officer Keith Tribble, neither of whom has officially applied.

Consultant Chuck Neinas will present finalists to USF's search committee next month.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Budget Is Biggest Challenge For New AD

BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Apr 1, 2004

TAMPA - Chuck Neinas, the consultant hired to provide athletic director candidates for South Florida, said the biggest challenge for USF's new athletic director will be increasing the Bulls' athletic budget.

USF's operating budget is less than half the average of the other seven Division I-A football members of the new Big East Conference. USF ranks last among the Big East's eight football schools and 10th among all 16 members.

``USF will be confronted with that,'' Neinas said. ``The institution did its due diligence before accepting the Big East invitation, so it understands some of the things it needs to do.

``I don't think there are any surprises. The university understands moving to the Big East Conference is taking a step up.''

The average athletic budget in 2001-02 (the latest available data from the Chronicle of Higher Education) of the Big East's seven other football schools - Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse and West Virginia - is $29.1 million, more than double USF's $13.8 million budget.

``We need someone that doesn't see [the situation] as half empty, but half full,'' USF vice president Michael Rierson said. ``We need to put our new athletic director in a position to win.''

Rierson said former AD Lee Roy Selmon's new role as chief fundraiser and the school's athletic foundation will play a huge part in increasing the athletic budget.