University Is Bullish On A New Sports Bar

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

I'm going over there for lunch tomorrow.  I gotta check this place out.

Dang, wish I would have known this Dean.  I just went there today.  I would have waited.  Oh well, maybe I will go again.  Call me if you plan on going.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WoolyBully

• bullsmania

• Triple B

• mutt

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  618

I drove by this place on the way back from class around 7ish and it looked dead. Hopefully business picks up or this place might be in and out pretty quickly.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

why doesnt USF just build a bar on campus.. its not uncommon

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Dang, wish I would have known this Dean.  I just went there today.  I would have waited.  Oh well, maybe I will go again.  Call me if you plan on going.

Gimme a holler tomorrow on the cell...after 11:00 and we can  kick in the front door.  I just want to get a handle on using the place - maybe for BBer meetings - and see how it's shaking out.  Trying to get my arms around what a non-On Campus Bullcentric dining facility would be.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

why doesnt USF just build a bar on campus.. its not uncommon

It's coming... in ohhhhh 2008!

Located in the new MC... that is if that Admin doesn't strike it down.

The new MC sounds pretty sweet, I hope they don't f up.

http://www.sg.usf.edu/files/Search%20for%20the%20Perfect%20Union.pdf

errr... it talks about it on page 34 of 51!  Figured a page number might help ya'll.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  198

I suggets getting rid of the Buc stuff and replace it with old USF artifacts - doesn't have to be sports related. Younger staff?? that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. There serving food not giving lap dances.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,424
  • Content Count:  98,314
  • Days Won:  490

I suggets getting rid of the Buc stuff and replace it with old USF artifacts - doesn't have to be sports related. Younger staff?? that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. There serving food not giving lap dances.

They have Buc stuff in there?   ::)

I guess I should stop reading this thread...I had envisioned the place I would dream to open - green and gold every where, a lot of brass and bull horns.  A welcoming feel with Bulls history adorning the walls.  Truly Bulls Country.

A place where the fight song plays and old games are watched when live games are not on.  Drinks and food tailored to the program.  

Sounds like a halfass attempt...I will go by there when in town in a couple weeks, but I am getting the feeling I'll be terrible disappointed.

I'm now hoping the Bulls Heaven store holds up to the hype.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

I'm now hoping the Bulls Heaven store holds up to the hype.

you shall be disappointed too the bulls heaven is not very big they have not moved into the new part of the plaza sorry to be the bearer of bad news

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Just finished lunch w/Bullsmania at the Bull Ring.  We got to talk to the owner for the better part of 30 minutes today. We talked about where they are and where they want to be.

To begin with, this is not a SPORTS BAR. Beef O'Bradys is a sports bar. This is going to be a Bulls "themed" restaurant. The two are quite different. You need to get your arms around that concept right now.

While we were there Eric Soncrant and some others were using the "VIP" room for a meeting relative to the forthcoming golf tournament. It's much easier to discuss $5K round tournaments with organizers and participants here, than it is over a basket of wings and a roll of paper towels. ;)

Atmosphere: the place is still under construction. Due to the physical plant, there's not much you can do with the walls relative to decor. Remember...this used to be a Hopps B&G, so you have that same airy structure. Most sports bars are more wall than window, and naturally lend themselves to memoribila decor.  Also, up front is where they'll be selling Bulls merchandise from B&B Heaven.  It still has the restaurant feel...not the bar feel.

TV: High def TVs line the walls, with one giant screen reserved for events. As this is Bullcentric, you won't have to worry about getting the heave-ho for the Seminator 'Canes.

Menu: casual dining at reasonable prices (bear in mind I'm not an underage college kid who doesn't have two nickels to rub together). Example, ham & cheese wrap w/chips & drink...$9.00. The quality was fair, and I'll try something else next time I visit.  The Bacon & Bleu Cheese burger looks good as well.

Wait Staff: ok..I understand what you're talking about, now. The problem here is finding a workforce that will work the necessary hours. For instance, the Bull Ring can't hire college kids to work days (for obvious reasons) and it's difficult to find college kids who would work the other peak hours (evenings, weekends, and holidays). Hence, the use of a more seasoned wait staff.

Entertainment: apparently, on the weekends they're experimenting with an +18 environment. That may get moved out to a +21 environment. Mixing the 18-21 is apparently not panning out for obvious reasons.

Down the Road: plans to cordon off the back lot and use it as an outdoor theater for away games. Similar to what Beef O'Bradys at Himes/Busch does...only bigger! They plan on selling Bulls merchandise via B&B Heaven.  Increase the amount of Bulls memoribilia. Right now they want to get the thing up and running...that's the prime focus.

So, if the sight of a few non-Bulls sports items is exceptionally offensive, go over to USF bookstore and eat a sandwich in the breezeway.  These guys are doing everything in their power to partner - the right way - with USF.  But they do have a business to run, so yes...the HiDefs will be showing NASCAR, Baseball, ESPN2 etc. when there isn't a Bulls game on. It is a finite market that wants to view the Valparaiso @ USF game over and over and over until the next season arrives. It's a business...not some guy's den.

And - as I continually have to remind you relative to the football team - this too is a work in progress. It takes time, but the finished product will be worth the wait.

BTW: "The Man" printed off this thread and gave it to the owner, as well as the URL for the site...so your comments have the potential to be seen by the boss. Constructive criticism is welcome.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142

Good Job, Wooly!!!  (and Sir Bull)  I'm glad you were able to talk to them reasonably and give suggestions as well as hear their goals.  I haven't been yet, but Mutt and Coach have.  We are all planning on going there after the BullBacker meeting, before the football banquet.