Southern Miss Game Thoughts

Cubanbull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,909
  • Days Won:  436

4 hours ago, JoeB said:

This is a textbook let down game for USF sandwiched between Alabama and Miami.  No way we score in the 50s.  If we are up big Brown sits as soon as possible with the Canes next.  Hoping we can win by 17 but I don't think we will.  Mix in the fact that we've been a bad road team aside from Navy last season, this game is going to be closer than we want.  My guess is Byrum plays more than any of us want him to play.  I need to see us handle a bad team on the road before I believe any hype.

Go Bulls!

I kind of thought that before Bama but the way that one ended makes me think they could be a lot more focused. Not saying we score 50 or anything but feeling better that they won't be looking ahead to UM.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,790
  • Content Count:  38,234
  • Days Won:  29

I expect us to be a storm the entire 4th quarter!!!

• Brad featured this topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,057
  • Days Won:  5

We will be wearing these.  We got this!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Days Won:  1

Love it. Honestly any combo with the gold/white/green is good with me. 

Depth Chart

USF_USM_09_14_24.pdf

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  7,455
  • Days Won:  14

no big visible changes in depth chart

to me this is real game 1

BCU was a glorified scrimmage

Bama was a huge test but I mean... defensing SEC champ, playoff team... it seemed like the pendulum swung the other way and it was a tall order

This is where we really get to get into the ring and tune up our technique and form

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,142
  • Days Won:  109

My thoughts. Trap game. Think we win but not by much. Between Alabama and Miami it is going to be hard to have them focused.

KNOW-THE-FOE: Southern Miss first fielded a football team in 1912, since boasting an overall record of 617-462-27. As of 2022, The Golden Eagles are a member of the Sun Belt Conference. The program lays claim to two Div. II National Championships (1958 and 1962), and a 12-13 Bowl Game record. Their historic M.M. Roberts Stadium, nicknamed ‘The Rock at Southern Miss’ was built in 1932 and hosts 36,000 and sits in Hattiesburg Mississippi. The program has three main rivals, LA Tech, Memphis, and Tulane.

COACH: Fourth-year Head Coach Will Hall came to Southern Miss in December of 2020 after serving the previous two years as offensive coordinator at Tulane. In 2022, Hall lead the Golden Eagles over Rice, 38-24, in the LendingTree Bowl in Mobile, Ala., behind a school-record 329 rushing yards from Frank Gore, Jr., to give the school its first bowl win since 2016.

GOLDEN EAGLES’ DEPTH: Southern Miss. QB Tate Rodemaker transferred to the school from Florida State. this offseason and won over the starting job. Rodemaker played in nine games for Seminoles in 2023, throwing for 510 yards and five touchdowns on 32-of-56 attempts...his lone start came at Florida, when he led FSU to a 24-15 victory over the Gators. On the otherside of the ball, S Dylan Lawrence led the team in tackles (78) in 2023, returning for his graduate season. Lawrence is tied for third in the NCAA this season with two interceptions.

RECENT RECAP: The Golden Eagles began the year being shutout 31-0 at University of Kentucky. The game was terminated with 9:56 left in the third quarter, with the Wildcats up 31. Southern Miss. bounced back in Week two with a 35-10 victory over Southeastern at home. The Golden Eagles were up 21-10 in the third and closed the game out with a 63-yard pick-six from S Dylan Lawrence, followed by a 70-yard touchdown run from RB Kenyon Clay.

2024 BY THE NUMBERS: The Eagles are averaging 17.5 points and 245.0 yards per game in 2024. They have struggled to run the ball, averaging just 63.0 rushing yards a game, but have had more success in the passing game, averaging 182.0 passing yards a game. The Golden Eagles defense has given up 20.5 points and 295.5 yards per game.

NOTABLE ALUMNI: Hall of Fame QB Brett Favre played for the Golden Eagles from 1987-90. Other notable players who hail from the program include RB Marcus Dupree, Super Bowl winning LB Jaime Collins, and WR Quez Watkins.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  5

@John Lewis any notion on ticket sales for this away game?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,241
  • Days Won:  37

Haven't looked to be honest.

Nothing close to 'Bama crowd I am sure.