Coach will be good

puc86

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,674
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Thankfully Jim didn't feel that way against the other SEC team in Alabama.

Hahaha he tied the game late, I’m arguing to at least try to tie the game late and not pretend we are Alabama playing at home against a G5 school. Time was running out, we needed more points and we played for a field goal and got it. In the Auburn example we needed a field goal to extend the game and we got it. One example makes them uncomfortable and the other gives them the comfort to actually play their game. The crowd shots after Auburn looked like they had just had their baby stollen, last night they looked like they had just had their baby returned to them.

10 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

One thing people often miss is that football (especially college) is emotional and situational.  We were moving the ball easily.  If we punch it in there who knows how they react.  The defense looked physically toast though, but who knows maybe Bama makes a mistake.

Not sure it makes an ultimate difference but pressure situations vs non pressure situations tend to lead to drastically different decisions and results, I’d prefer them having to need the points over just liking have some more points. They were allowed comfort and then they worked us.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,769
  • Days Won:  53

Just now, puc86 said:

Not sure it makes an ultimate difference but pressure situations vs non pressure situations tend to lead to drastically different decisions and results, I’d prefer them having to need the points over just liking have some more points. They were allowed comfort and then they worked us.

Yeah I agree that it's not all things being equal.  At the end of a game.  They were starting to crack too.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,981
  • Days Won:  436

23 minutes ago, puc86 said:

That’s exactly the problem. Coach was wrong and will always be wrong.

Hindsight is a blessed thing ....

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Hindsight is a blessed thing ....

There are quite a few people looking at it that way in the moment… foresight is even better annd especially when it then gets proven right by the hindsight. Say I’m playing Alabama at Alabama I’m down a TD late and my plan is to just run it up the middle and play for a field goal because we can just completely stop them and get a TD right after we conceded we couldn’t do it last time while deep out loud and see if you honestly can’t see that’s an awful plan that you absolutely should know is going to fail before you even set out to try it. If you can’t see it you likely have a future in usf coaching since we decided to systematically dismantle the patriarchy of winning.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,255
  • Days Won:  68

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

There are quite a few people looking at it that way in the moment… foresight is even better annd especially when it then gets proven right by the hindsight. Say I’m playing Alabama at Alabama I’m down a TD late and my plan is to just run it up the middle and play for a field goal because we can just completely stop them and get a TD right after we conceded we couldn’t do it last time while deep out loud and see if you honestly can’t see that’s an awful plan that you absolutely should know is going to fail before you even set out to try it. If you can’t see it you likely have a future in usf coaching since we decided to systematically dismantle the patriarchy of winning.

Not sure what the argument is, we all agree that series was trash, terrible and way too conservative play calling.  Should we fire him?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,802
  • Content Count:  38,331
  • Days Won:  29

We were not moving the ball well enough. Kick the FG and D was playing great to get the ball back.

15 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Not sure what the argument is, we all agree that series was trash, terrible and way too conservative play calling.  Should we fire him?

Nope. Hope he does well enough to be hired away and that one day we will actually hire someone with any heart that thinks usf can actually beat Goliath and then actually does it. I wanted you to defend playing for the field goal so I’m going to respond to that. 

It’s 4 am. We have been having a life of mixed results against trogs and slump busters. For whatever reason things have clicked against a legit 10 and it’s time to close the deal or take a drive over to Denny’s alone for the only Home plate we will be reaching that day. Coach is the kind of guy that thinks maybe a couple more kisses and grabbing an over the shirt boob again is going to be the thing that keeps it going and eventually mount to the move you should have made when you had the chance. Make the move and know if you could get it done and not live with the regret and what if of playing it safe (read scared).

10 minutes ago, E.T. said:

We were not moving the ball well enough. Kick the FG and D was playing great to get the ball back.

And then do what with it? Not move it again?

Edited by puc86

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,255
  • Days Won:  68

17 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Nope. Hope he does well enough to be hired away and that one day we will actually hire someone with any heart that thinks usf can actually beat Goliath and then actually does it. I wanted you to defend playing for the field goal so I’m going to respond to that. 

It’s 4 am. We have been having a life of mixed results against trogs and slump busters. For whatever reason things have clicked against a legit 10 and it’s time to close the deal or take a drive over to Denny’s alone for the only Home plate we will be reaching that day. Coach is the kind of guy that thinks maybe a couple more kisses and grabbing an over the shirt boob again is going to be the thing that keeps it going and eventually mount to the move you should have made when you had the chance. Make the move and know if you could get it done and not live with the regret and what if of playing it safe (read scared).

And then do what with it? Not move it again?

I was shaking my head like everyone else, he made the wrong decision.  I have no problem criticizing him for this however he is no CJS or CCS and hopefully he learns from this.  You can make a chickenshit decision without being a chickenshit, he made a bad call.

15 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I was shaking my head like everyone else, he made the wrong decision.  I have no problem criticizing him for this however he is no CJS or CCS and hopefully he learns from this.  You can make a chickenshit decision without being a chickenshit, he made a bad call.

I need to watch the press conference myself, my understanding from reading on here is that he doubled down on the decision and would make it again because he thought it was logical. It would only be logical if we were more evenly yoked. If he said i should have been more aggressive then yes people can develop, especially as a younger coach but if he said i checked my cheat sheet and it said that’s the odds it completely ignores what cards are left in the shoe. Everyone at home was counting the cards and he needs to be doing it too.