Coach will be good

puc86

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

FWIW I would have preferred going for the TD and 2 points to the FG (and if it doesn't work out, Bama has to go 90+ yards against a defense that has been playing well all night). I understand CAG's logic, just disagree. He gets paid millions to make those decisions, which he has to live with.

But what I find even more interesting is his lack of predictability. There are times it's 4th and 5 on his own 30 and he goes for it. Then there are times when he has a unique shot to tie a close game late in the 4th quarter against the #4 team in the country, and he clams up. I'd like to know whether my coach is a gambler or not, but I have no idea what he's going to do in any given situation. Maybe he prefers to keep people and the opposing coaches guessing?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  82
  • Days Won:  0

16 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

FWIW I would have preferred going for the TD and 2 points to the FG (and if it doesn't work out, Bama has to go 90+ yards against a defense that has been playing well all night). I understand CAG's logic, just disagree. He gets paid millions to make those decisions, which he has to live with.

But what I find even more interesting is his lack of predictability. There are times it's 4th and 5 on his own 30 and he goes for it. Then there are times when he has a unique shot to tie a close game late in the 4th quarter against the #4 team in the country, and he clams up. I'd like to know whether my coach is a gambler or not, but I have no idea what he's going to do in any given situation. Maybe he prefers to keep people and the opposing coaches guessing?

This was an opportunity list in the field and in recruiting and it will eventually cost him shot at a nice P4 coaching job

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,981
  • Days Won:  436

8 minutes ago, Mister Armstrong said:

This was an opportunity list in the field and in recruiting and it will eventually cost him shot at a nice P4 coaching job

If it was the last minute of play and he’d kicked a fg there, that one decision has a very remote chance of possibly having that effect …. but as it is, you’re way over dramatizing the situation. 

Edited by Triple B
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

5 hours ago, Mister Armstrong said:

BS

2 for 20 on 3rd down but suddenly we’re going to get 4 on 4th down? IMO he made the correct call. 

Edited by BDYZR
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Days Won:  7

8 hours ago, BDYZR said:

It took Bama 100 years to get to where they are. USF is a **** good football team for where we are.

LOL Alabama didn't just arrive after 100 years and start being well today, they have 18 national championships. So they've been doing some winning for quite a while. It didn't take them 100 years to win their first, it took them 33 years. In their 132 years of football, its been 99 years since their first national title. They've won 18 national titles in 99 years (1 every 5.5 years). What makes us "a **** good football team" in that comparison? Because we didn't get blown out for 3.5 quarters against them? Why don't we win just won conference title in our puny conference before we get bloated heads about not getting blown out until the 4th quarter of a game. 

In today's football landscape, it SHOULDN'T take us a long time to put together a **** good football team. We are one of the largest schools in the country, we are in a desirable location, we have Florida football talent everywhere, we have social media reach to players all over the country, we have a good academic school, we have improving facilities and increased investment into the program, we have an on-campus stadium being started next month... it doesn't need to take decades to build a program anymore if it can be done correctly and efficiently (i.e. UCF). But, until we prove it with a championship, how are we any better today than we were with Flowers, Mack, and Taggart 10 years ago? Have we progressed or are still stagnant/ regressed? What objective indicator proves we are a **** good football team now? Let's wait until we see how Year 2 plays out. I will absolutely agree with you if we win out or only lose a close 1 against Miami and win the conference/ contend for a playoff spot. THAT will show real change and improvement. THAT will prove we're a **** good football team.

19 minutes ago, USFBulls12 said:

LOL Alabama didn't just arrive after 100 years and start being well today, they have 18 national championships. So they've been doing some winning for quite a while. It didn't take them 100 years to win their first, it took them 33 years. In their 132 years of football, its been 99 years since their first national title. They've won 18 national titles in 99 years (1 every 5.5 years). What makes us "a **** good football team" in that comparison? Because we didn't get blown out for 3.5 quarters against them? Why don't we win just won conference title in our puny conference before we get bloated heads about not getting blown out until the 4th quarter of a game. 

In today's football landscape, it SHOULDN'T take us a long time to put together a **** good football team. We are one of the largest schools in the country, we are in a desirable location, we have Florida football talent everywhere, we have social media reach to players all over the country, we have a good academic school, we have improving facilities and increased investment into the program, we have an on-campus stadium being started next month... it doesn't need to take decades to build a program anymore if it can be done correctly and efficiently (i.e. UCF). But, until we prove it with a championship, how are we any better today than we were with Flowers, Mack, and Taggart 10 years ago? Have we progressed or are still stagnant/ regressed? What objective indicator proves we are a **** good football team now? Let's wait until we see how Year 2 plays out. I will absolutely agree with you if we win out or only lose a close 1 against Miami and win the conference/ contend for a playoff spot. THAT will show real change and improvement. THAT will prove we're a **** good football team.

So 15 games should be sufficient to challenge a top 5 school?

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,769
  • Days Won:  53

10 hours ago, Mister Armstrong said:

Actually the comments I am reading are that he is very respected in the P4 world now after Alabama I and II.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Days Won:  7

6 hours ago, BDYZR said:

15 games isn't just 15 days of gameday. It's thousands of hours of practice/ training/ learning/ recruiting higher level talent. If we have go 2 seasons + an offseason (after this season ends) under the same forward progressing leadership, which has shown to take USF from a disaster to winning a conference championship, that is enough to show major change has occurred. In this scenario, it's also likely recruiting has improved because of the proven on-field success and leadership of the coaching staff. We will then be bringing in higher level talent which will allow for even more success, getting us closer to being able to challenge a Top 5 team. Do you think we're more capable to challenge a top 5 team NOW or after more development in the system and bringing in better talent? 

11 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

15 games isn't just 15 days of gameday. It's thousands of hours of practice/ training/ learning/ recruiting higher level talent. If we have go 2 seasons + an offseason (after this season ends) under the same forward progressing leadership, which has shown to take USF from a disaster to winning a conference championship, that is enough to show major change has occurred. In this scenario, it's also likely recruiting has improved because of the proven on-field success and leadership of the coaching staff. We will then be bringing in higher level talent which will allow for even more success, getting us closer to being able to challenge a Top 5 team. Do you think we're more capable to challenge a top 5 team NOW or after more development in the system and bringing in better talent? 

Apparently we can challenge a top 5 team now. Should the talent level continue to improve? Absolutely. But the premise of this thread is that CAG won’t be able to do that, which IMO is total BS. Again, assuming that we could have scored on 4th and 4 when we’re 2 for 20 on 3rd downs is ridiculous. The field goal was the correct call.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  82
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, BDYZR said:

On any given Saturday, YES