• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

email this writer if you have questions

he is a goodguy

Ask Joe Person

The State's USC Gamecocks football beat writer answers your questions  

Joe Person  

USC football beat writer Joe Person is beginning his second season covering the Gamecocks. Joe has covered college football since 1993, with previous stops in Huntington, W.Va., covering Marshall, and in Macon, Ga., where he covered Georgia Tech.

Joe has won numerous awards for his writing, most recently a second place for short sports feature writing in the 2002 S.C. Press Association contest.

You can reach Joe at (803) 771-8496 or jperson@thestate.com.  

Most Recent Questions & Answers

1  | 2  | 3  | 4  | 5  | 6  | 7  | 8  | 9  | 10  |    Next»  

Questions:   1 - 10  of  893  

Q.

Joe, with the first scrimmage on Sat.who will be on the starting Offense and defense?Who has being the surpise of the spring?

MONTIGO, piedmond,sc 3/31/04  

A.

Montigo, They haven't finalized starting spots, yet. Some of the biggest surprises have been the two young quarterbacks (Newton and Mitchell) and Rod Wilson at outside linebacker, just to name a few.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

Is Jerrod June still on the squad and if so, where is he on the depth chart? I know that he played some on the Special Teams last season. And what about Rod Wilson for the upcoming season?

Prosperity 3/31/04  

A.

Prosperity, June is still on the squad. I don't know that he'll be a factor in the secondary. But like last season, I'm sure he's expected to contribute on special teams. Coaches have been raving about Rod Wilson's transition to outside linebacker, where he's working with the first team.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

I read Ron Morris regularly, and agree 100% with all of his criticism of Lou Holtz. I am a USC fan and a sports enthusist. I played sports in high school, but never played on a team that seriously competed for a championship. I have friends who played on, or coached championship teams at the high school and college level. They tell me I do not have a clue. This offends me. Since Ron and I see eye to eye on Lou, I am curious to know something. Did Ron ever play on a team that seriously competed for a championship ?  

hi-iq,armchair-qb, Calhoun, Ga 3/30/04  

A.

Calhoun, You'll have to ask Ron that. His email is rmorris@thestate.com.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

Joe, I feel vindicated about Holtz "new attitude" with Ron Morris column today. I just hope you jump on board with the understanding that what comes out of a leader's mouth has implications for the sheep. If we're going to win, he needs to plant positive seeds.

jay, atlanta, georgia 3/30/04  

A.

Jay, As I've written many times on this board, people are going to agree and disagree with Ron's opinions.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

Joe: Do you think Ron Morris's 3/30 column will make life easier for reporters covering SC football? Does The State even HAVE a sports editor? Someone needs to be in charge, Morris is single-handedly undoing all the good work you have done providing good indepth coverage of the football team for the fans

Charles R. Beans, Atlanta, GA 3/30/04  

A.

Charles, My job is to report the news. Ron's is to formulate opinions on those news topics. I would hope that readers would be able to make the distinguish.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

joe, who do you feel is the most talented of the four QB. I know he may not have the experience, but i think newton is and should get the starting job.

Anonymous 3/29/04  

A.

Anon., I'm holding judgment until after they've had a couple of scrimmages and the spring game.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

Joe, I haven't really heard anything about how Demetris Summers is doing this spring. Based upon last year, I would think that Summers is going to be the go to guy this year. I only wonder about how he will hold up under the work load. How has he looked so far this spring?  

Scott, Charleston 3/29/04  

A.

Scott, Hard to say. The media only gets to watch a half-hour of one spring practice each week. But from everything I've heard, Summers has looked good. However, both Lou and Skip Holtz have talked about getting the other tailbacks (Daccus Turman and Cory Boyd) involved, too.  

Joe Person 3/29/04  

Q.

Joe I sent a question during football season about the players commenting how good team chemistry was versus the chemistry in the previuos season. I talked about how this came up every year with the previous year being bad and the current year being so good. Well, it has already surfaced about this year. Why does this happen every year? This is the part that is so frustrating as a loyal follower. Every year we hear the same thing. I believe this is the coaching staff's responsibility and clearly so far this element has failed. I believe this is a key reason for our mediocrity. What do you think?

Greg, St. Marys, GA 3/29/04  

A.

Greg, I think chemistry sometimes is used as a crutch. Obviously, a team that is winning is going to have more positive vibes than a losing team. That said, it sure did look like USC had packed it in last year before its 63-17 loss to Clemson -- an inexcusable margin of defeat given the opponent and the stakes involved (needing a win to become bowl eligible). So I do think some off-the-field changes were in order this season for the Gamecocks. And give Lou Holtz credit for being open to what his players had to say about the direction of and the environment within the program.  

Joe Person 3/29/04  

Q.

Joe, if Pinkins or Mitchell wins the QB job, does Newton become a backup QB, or a starting WR?

wiseguy, Hopkins 3/28/04  

A.

Wiseguy, According to what he said after Sunday's practice, he would rather use his redshirt year -- and wait his turn behind Pinkins presumably -- than move back to receiver. That's quite a change from last fall, when he moved to receiver rather than redshirt. We'll see what happens.  

Joe Person 3/29/04  

Q.

Joe, After losing daniel weaver to graduation, who do you look to do the place kicking this year?!?!has anyone looked good so far this spring?I played at Chapin High With Stephen Stellfox, hes got a strong and deadly leg, where does he stand on the kicking duties? thanks J.P.

Daniel Derrick, Chapin, SC 3/28/04  

A.

Daniel, Lou Holtz says that Josh Brown remains the team's best punter and place-kicker, although he would prefer not using him in both roles. Stellfox is behind Joey Bowers as far as kicking off and he's behind a couple people on place-kicks.  

Joe Person 3/29/04  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Q.

I read Ron Morris regularly, and agree 100% with all of his criticism of Lou Holtz. I am a USC fan and a sports enthusist. I played sports in high school, but never played on a team that seriously competed for a championship. I have friends who played on, or coached championship teams at the high school and college level. They tell me I do not have a clue. This offends me. Since Ron and I see eye to eye on Lou, I am curious to know something. Did Ron ever play on a team that seriously competed for a championship ?  

hi-iq,armchair-qb, Calhoun, Ga 3/30/04  

A.

Calhoun, You'll have to ask Ron that. His email is rmorris@thestate.com.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

Joe, I feel vindicated about Holtz "new attitude" with Ron Morris column today. I just hope you jump on board with the understanding that what comes out of a leader's mouth has implications for the sheep. If we're going to win, he needs to plant positive seeds.

jay, atlanta, georgia 3/30/04  

A.

Jay, As I've written many times on this board, people are going to agree and disagree with Ron's opinions.  

Joe Person 3/31/04  

Q.

Joe: Do you think Ron Morris's 3/30 column will make life easier for reporters covering SC football? Does The State even HAVE a sports editor? Someone needs to be in charge, Morris is single-handedly undoing all the good work you have done providing good indepth coverage of the football team for the fans

Charles R. Beans, Atlanta, GA 3/30/04  

A.

Charles, My job is to report the news. Ron's is to formulate opinions on those news topics. I would hope that readers would be able to make the distinguish.  

Joe Person 3/31/04

Ron Morris is much more objective in his columns.  He tends to tick off alot of the Gamecock faithful

Q.

Joe,What happen to Trey Rogers?

MONTIGO, piedmond,sc 4/05/04  

A.

Montigo, Just prior to reporting day last summer, Tray was diagnosed with a pre-existing spinal column condition. At the doctors' recommendation, he decided to end his football career. He remains on scholarship and stays involved in the team by assisting the equipment managers.  

Joe Person 4/05/04  

Q.

Joe, We keep hearing about Pinkins improvement. If he is the best now, Do you agree Carolina is in for another long season.

Steve, Charleston,SC 4/05/04  

A.

Steve, Not necessarily. I think it's safe to assume that a quarterback entering his second full season as a starter would show improvement in all areas. If Pinkins fails to do that -- either in the spring or during preseason -- then Holtz might pull the trigger with one of the younger guys. But there's no question that Pinkins is the best option currently.  

Joe Person 4/05/04

Q.

JOE. DO YOU THINK THE OFFENSE NEXT SEASON WILL BE WIDE OPEN OR MORE OF A RUNNING ATTACK TO GET CORY BOYD,DETMETRIUS SUMMERS,AND DACCUS TURMAN INVOLVED IN THE OFFENSE,AND DO YOU THINK THE DEFENSE WILL LEAD THE SEC IN SACKS.

GAMECOCK RICHIE, CHESTER,S.C. 4/06/04  

A.

Richie, More of a running attack, no question. I'd say Moe Thompson will be the sack leader.  

Joe Person 4/07/04  

Q.

Joe, I was glad to see USC brought some of the NFLers back on to campus for the weekend. What was the reason for the disconnect in the first place? Do you expect to see more interaction with ex-players?

Andrew, Orlando, FL 4/06/04  

A.

Andrew, I don't know why it took USC so long to invite its NFL players back to campus. But I thought Marcus Robinson brought up a good point when he mentioned that players from schools like Miami and Florida State have always been more visible at their old schools, standing on the sidelines during games, and more importantly, donating large chunks of money.  

Joe Person 4/07/04  

Q.

Joe, What offensive formation(s) are we going to see this year from the Gamecocks?  

Dickie Demassi, Spartanburg SC 4/06/04  

A.

Dickie, Lots of them, if the first scrimmage is any indication. The three base formations are the I, split backs and the spread, but there are several variations off of each one.  

Joe Person 4/07/04  

Q.

Joe,What happen to Trey Rogers?

MONTIGO, piedmond,sc 4/05/04  

A.

Montigo, Just prior to reporting day last summer, Tray was diagnosed with a pre-existing spinal column condition. At the doctors' recommendation, he decided to end his football career. He remains on scholarship and stays involved in the team by assisting the equipment managers.  

Joe Person 4/05/04  

Q.

Joe, We keep hearing about Pinkins improvement. If he is the best now, Do you agree Carolina is in for another long season.

Steve, Charleston,SC 4/05/04  

A.

Steve, Not necessarily. I think it's safe to assume that a quarterback entering his second full season as a starter would show improvement in all areas. If Pinkins fails to do that -- either in the spring or during preseason -- then Holtz might pull the trigger with one of the younger guys. But there's no question that Pinkins is the best option currently.  

Joe Person 4/05/0

Q.

Joe, The thing I don't understand about our football team is, it seems like we recruit wonderful players but when they get to USC they never seem to live up to the hype. My point is, If Blake Mitchell is such a wonderful quarterback, rated so highly, how can Pinkins be better then he is ? I know it takes a while to learn the system, but he has to be better then Pinkins.  

Gamecockfan, Norfolk, Va 4/09/04  

A.

Norfolk, Contrary to popular belief, there are very few quarterbacks out there that have the combination of skill and poise that would allow them to be successful immediately in a league like the SEC. Chris Leak and David Greene are exceptional quarterbacks to be able to do that (and even Greene didn't start as a true freshman). My point is just because a highly-touted QB doesn't play right away doesn't mean he won't someday be successful. And I guess the second half of the equation is that USC has not yet signed the truly top-tier QBs ala Leak, although they did at least recruit him.  

Joe Person 4/09/04  

Q.

Joe, With a C offense at best do you think our defense will be able to keep us in games the way they did during the Charlie Strong era?  

ROb, Columbia, SC 4/09/04  

A.

Rob, Possibly, especially if the offense can control the ball and prevent opposing offenses from wearing down the USC defense. That happened a lot the second half of last season.  

Joe Person 4/09/04  

Q.

deuce staley has bee traded to pittsburg steelers.who were some other running backs at carolina during his time? that includes 1st-2nd-3rd team rbs as well as scout team rbs.does the name Greg Rhodes ring a bell?THANKS--ABE

Abe, macon,ga 4/09/04  

A.

Abe, That was before my time in Columbia. But in the 1996 media guide (when Staley was a senior), the backup tailback is listed as Scott Moritz, with Steve Mixon and John Harkleroad listed at fullback. Troy Hambrick and Boo Williams were freshman tailbacks on that '96 team. There's no mention of Greg Rhodes.  

Joe Person 4/09/04  

Q.

Now that Skip is coaching quarterbacks, will we see Lou calling the plays on the field? I want the Gamecocks to win the clutch games. Im getting tired of saying that was another close one. Coach Holtz - Take us to victory!!

Madison, West Columbia 4/09/04  

A.

Madison, I suspect that the play-calling arrangement will be pretty similiar to past years, with Skip handling a lot of it but Lou having the final word. I could be wrong, though.  

Joe Person 4/09/04  

Q.

Where does Matthew Thomas stand on the depth chart so far this spring?I coached him in high school at Atkinson County,Ga.He is a great athlete.This is his senior year. We are really pulling for him to have a great great year!THANKS

Coach Craig Tyre, Douglas,Ga. 4/08/04  

A.

Coach Tyre, Matthew Thomas is one of two starting receivers and is having a good spring, according to new receivers coach Rick Stockstill. Like yourself, USC fans and coaches are hoping that this will be the season that Thomas breaks out and has a big year.  

Joe Person 4/09/04  

Q.

Joe, I know there has been a lot of critics out there over Lou Holtz's running of the USC football program. However, I still see Lou as one of the Best coaches around and I know he hates to lose more than anybody!Do you feel that the coaching changes are going to help us this season? I feel that we have been one good quarterback shy the past two seasons of winning!

Gamecockjim, Lexington,S.C. 4/08/04  

A.

Jim, I don't think anyone can tell what effect the coaching changes will have. The fact is if the team is successful, that doesn't mean it's only because of the staff changes. And the converse of that is true, as well. That said, I do think Lou was right to try something different after consecutive 5-7 seasons.  

Joe Person 4/09/04  

Q.

How many scholarships does Susan Walvius have for next year? How many have already been committed? Who are her primary targets(she did'nt do much in the early signing period)? What do you see as the teams' primary needs for next year? When you say the team needs more athletecism do you mean more basketball talent or what exactly?

Sara, Columbia, SC 4/07/04  

A.

Sara, I think Walvius has three scholarships available to use this spring after not signing anyone in the fall. She has committed to bringing in some junior college transfers and admits that the Gamecocks need to get more athletic. You asked what that means: Players who can get up and down the court quickly to run the fast-break offense that Jocelyn Penn and others excelled in running. Also, athleticism translates into better defensive pressure, better rebounding, etc. USC has some talented halfcourt players, but the team was slow and predictable, mainly because it lacked a transition game. Walvius may have two of those type players already on the roster: Melanie Johnson and Lakesha Tolliver are both expected to play big roles next season.  

Joe Person 4/09/04  

Q.

Joe, with a renewed emphasis on the running game, who is considered to be the best blocking WR? Will we get to see a Mitchell-to-Flint connection?

ducks 4/12/04  

A.

Ducks, That's a good question. I'd say as far as being aggressive, Matthew Thomas is probably the best downfield blocker among the receivers. I don't know about the Mitchell-to-Flint connection. We'll have to see.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

Joe,Do you think Pinkins can handle the pressure if he is named the starting quarterback again? I just want to say I love and support USC but I just think one more year of Pinkins at quarterback is another bad season just waiting to happen.

Edward, Tampa,FL 4/12/04  

A.

Edward, I don't think Pinkins ever looked "rattled" like he couldn't handle the pressure last season. I just think he was hurt by a combination of dropped passes and poor throws. Also, he didn't show much leadership as a junior.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

Joe, Looking at FL and GA, they always seem to have good TEs. Also, other teams like FL State and Miami run a lot of spread, but seem like farm teams for TEs. Lou has been here 5 years +, why don't we have a quality TE on the team? I know the team ran the spread a good bit in past, but they also ran the I and pro sets, so that does not seem like an excuse to me. Additionally, in the last 2 years they have been more of a running team or tried to be. Any other reasons for the lack of TE talent on the team over the last 6 years? I know Andy Boyd was hurt last year and did not play maybe he will be the answer, but I am not convinced.  

Rob M, Rockville, MD 4/12/04  

A.

Rob, Lou has never used his tight ends much, so that could very well be the reason that he's had trouble getting any top-tier tight ends to sign at USC. Or it could be the chicken-and-egg question: Maybe Holtz hasn't pursued tight ends like other programs. That said, I think you made a good point with Boyd. He was really coming on last year before his knee injury. He's a good pass-catcher and could be a nice complement to Brian Brownlee.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

Joe, With three of the last five football seasons being pretty weak, and really about eight of the the last ten(including the Brad Scott years), how can USC continue to dig more money out of the loyal fan's pockets by raising ticket prices. Is this not the height of arrogance? What are your feelings on this ?

Steve, Rock Hill,SC 4/12/04  

A.

Steve, I think prices for non-premium games stayed the same, with premium games going up two bucks apiece. But because Clemson ticket was the most expensive last year, the average for premium tickets actually went down. I know what you're saying, but with only six home games (compared to eight last year), the whole ticket package is substantially cheaper. Had prices shot up $10 or $15, I think you would have heard more of an outcry.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

hi joe. do you think our defense will dominate other sec teams next year?

GAMECOCK RICHIE, CHESTER,S.C. 4/11/04  

A.

Richie, No, I don't think it will be a dominating defense. But it should be improved, with so many players returning.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

Joe, two questions: 1) Dunta Robinson was the go-to guy for quotes last year. Who do you think it will be this year? 2) Who do you see as being a sleeper on this year's team?

bahamut502, west springs, sc 4/11/04  

A.

Bahamut, Are you a former sportswriter? It's interesting that you noticed what a great quote Robinson was. Basically, writers appreciate players who are willing to be open and honest with their opinions. Being funny and articulate is a bonus. There are several players that fall into that category, including Moe Thompson, Na'shan Goddard, Cory Boyd, Dondrial Pinkins and Syvelle Newton, among others. Sleeper pick: Maybe one of the defensive tackles, Saint-Preux or Shropshire. They should benefit from the twists and stunts Minter uses at that position.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

Joe, What is the status of Tremaine Tyler at the preset time. Is he in the running for the starting cornerback job, or is he in Lou's doghouse. I really thought since he played so much last year that he would be a front runner for one of the starting cornerback spots.

Ernie T., Cope, SC 4/10/04  

A.

Ernie, No, Tyler is not in the doghouse. He's been reinstated to the team and is working at second-team cornerback. The coaches like Tyler and expect him to play, but right now Fred Bennett and Jonathan Joseph are the starters.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

Joe,With all this talk about who should be the starting QB, DP or Blake.But I think Newton may be the sleeper,he maybe the best QB on the team.What do you think?

MONTIGO, piedmond,sc 4/10/04  

A.

Montigo, Another QB question! You folks are in mid-season form. I'm just kidding. I know there's an interest there and I don't mind addressing it. I don't know if I would call Newton the best QB, yet, but he has definitely shown this spring that he needs to be on the field. If he remains the No. 2 QB, I think the Holtzes would be advised to play him a couple series a game to give the Gamecocks a different look with their option package. I know that some of you will argue against a two-QB system and the possible disruption of Pinkins' rhythm, etc. But I just think Newton adds a different dimension to the offense that should be utilized. If nothing else, it forces opposing teams to spend time each week preparing for the option.  

Joe Person 4/12/04  

Q.

hi joe. why won't coach lou start blake mitchell instead of dondrial pinkins. i mean he is just not a sec-caliber quarterback,and in my opininon we will never win nomore than 4 to 5 games with him at quarterback. he needs to start blake michell,and watch the wins roll up.

gamecock richie, chester,s.c. 4/09/04  

A.

Richie, The great quarterback debate rages on. I can't wait until August when these quarterback questions will be coming fast and furious. From what I've seen -- one scrimmage and parts of three practices -- Mitchell is not quite ready. He throws a good ball and seems poised in the pocket, but he's still learning how to read defenses and look off defensive backs. That doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a great QB someday. But as I write this today, Pinkins is the Gamecocks' best all-around QB. He's throwing the ball with a little more zip and doing a better job of leading the offense. Of course, things could change between now and Sept. 4.  

joe, do you know what the schedule looks like.If so could you give it to me.

Anonymous 4/15/04  

A.

Anon., Several of you have asked about the schedule. I thought it was up on our site. If it's not, it will be soon. Anyway, it looks like this: Sept. 4 at Vanderbilt Sept. 11 GEORGIA Sept. 18 SOUTH FLA. Sept. 25 TROY STATE Oct. 2 at Alabama Oct. 9 OLE MISS Oct. 16 at Kentucky Oct. 23 Open Date Oct. 30 TENNESSEE Nov. 6 ARKANSAS Nov. 13 at Florida Nov. 20 at Clemson  

Joe Person 4/15/04  

Q.

What do you feel should be done about the USC 3rd base hecklers? Last night the profanity and racial slurs were unbelievable. When ever an African American athlete would come up they would scream out 'Radio'. This in my book was much uncalled for. I thought McGee was trying to bring this kind of stuff under control?

Concerned fan, Columbia 4/15/04  

A.

Fan, This question really should be directed toward Steve Wiseman, our USC baseball beat writer. But since I was at the game last night, I'll address it. I didn't hear anything offensive during the brief time I spent in that area, but I'm not saying it didn't occur. USC has ejected fans for that type of behavior earlier this season. If you are concerned, I would encourage you to contact Mike McGee.  

Joe Person 4/15/04  

Q.

hi joe. is rick minter being groomed too be the next head football coach at usc once coach lou retires.

GAMECOCK RICHIE, CHESTER,S.C. 4/14/04  

A.

Richie, I don't think so. I think there are several current assistants who would love to take over when Holtz retires, Minter being one of them. Skip Holtz has said repeatedly that he too would like that chance. But I don't think anyone is being "groomed," per se.  

Joe Person 4/15/04  

Q.

I from the upstate and was wondering do you think this years football team will be bettter or about the same as last year? After last year I'm having doubts about druving down for all the games, but i'm a fan and will anyways.

Robert Bridges, aka-Tiny, Simpsonville,SC 4/14/04  

A.

Tiny, USC was a play or two away from 7-5 the last two seasons. I think the defense will be improved -- if no other reason than the linebackers should be healthy. I'm not sure it will be a high-scoring offense. But if the new two-back sets are effective, at least it will control the clock and dictate tempo. I'm not picking a projected record until closer to the start of the season.  

Joe Person 4/15/04  

Q.

Joe, after a disappointing season this year - what is the status of women's basketball recruiting - I thought I recalled Coach Walvius signing or getting a commitment from a European post player in the fall - don't recall name - but have seen nothing or heard nothing regarding the spring. My impression was that she needed to go the route of Coach Odom - improving the athleticism of the team.

captiva73 4/15/04  

A.

Captiva, She did sign a post player from Europe in the fall, but I've heard rumblings that player may end up staying in Europe to play professionally. Walvius is hopeful to sign a couple of junior college transfers this spring to improve athleticism.  

Joe Person 4/15/04  

Q.

How many are expected at the spring game? What was the attendance last year? Thanks!  

Rabidgamecockfan, Columbia, SC 4/14/04  

A.

Rabid, Last year's spring game attendance was estimated at 15,000.  

Joe Person 4/14/04  

Q.

Joe, Do you think any incoming freshman will see any playing time this year? I figure Lou has probably promised a few some immediate playing time. I hope we have some coming in that will be big time contributors (we need it).

FB Curious, Florence, SC 4/14/04  

A.

Curious, I'd say WR Sidney Rice, OL James Thompson, OL Evan Spanogians all might have a chance to play early.  

Joe Person 4/14/04  

Q.

Joe, Will Gonzie Gray get more playing time due to his outstanding spring practice? How can we utilize Summers,Boyd,Gray, and Turman?

Gvegas, Simpsonville, SC 4/14/04  

A.

Gvegas, That's what Lou Holtz keeps saying. But even using split backs and putting the tailbacks out in the slot sometimes, that is still a pretty crowded backfield. It will be interesting to see if they can get all four of those tailbacks involved.  

Joe Person 4/14/04  

Q.

Joe, with two very young and talented QBs in Mitchell and Newton, is the possibility high that one will transfer in the future?

Wiseguy, Hopkins 4/19/04  

A.

Wiseguy, I'd say that if either transfers, it will be Mitchell. But he has given no indication of that, yet.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

Joe,Do you think USC will improve their special teams? I think Coach Holtz finally used a scholarship on a kicker so hopefully we can convert more field goal attempts this season. My main concern is the punting I hope we can say goodbye to that crazy punt formation we had last season. Do you think Coach Holtz will use a normal punt formation this season?

Edward, Tampa,FL 4/19/04  

A.

Edward, If the spring game is any indication, the special teams looked decent, with the exception of place-kicking, which looked awful. Holtz still had the punt team lined up in that unorthodox formation, although the punters did not roll out and do the rugby-style kicks. My guess is they will do that in the fall, but didn't want to show it in the spring.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

Joe, when the popular topic of Coach Lou successors is discussed, don't you think one name we can now omit is Skip Holtz, simply because he was recently DEMOTED ? Who would ever consider an underachieving coach who was hired because of his daddy, who would have been fired if his last name were anything other than Holtz, for the Head Coach ? Would you please recognize where USC's offense has ranked among SEC teams the last 5 years, it's disturbing that he is still on the payroll. The fan base would REVOLT ! So let's move on, Skip as the head coach AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

wbl, Spartanburg, SC 4/19/04  

A.

Wbl, Probably not. But then again, after Clemson lost to Wake Forest last year there was no in the state that thought Tommy Bowden would survive the season. My point: Stranger things have happened.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

Joe, Who do people think they are commenting on Dondrial Pinkins' leadership? Dondrial is an impressive "kid" and it irks me to read critiques on his "leadership." College is a place for people to mature and grow so I would think you would be hard pressed to find the perfect "leader." Thats what you accept by being a college football fan. At least the kid has put himself in position to be challenged and develop his "leadership." That says alot more than the folks who just "lead" the vending lines on Saturdays at Williams Brice. "Leadership" is not a loose term.  

Major Andrew Regan, USMC, Fallujah, Iraq 4/18/04  

A.

Major, Thanks for writing in from Iraq and thanks for all you're doing over there.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

From what I've seen so far, Pinkins hasn't looked that great. Why doesn't Lou move him to Cornerback, where he could help our defense and maybe be an All-SEC performer, and give some reps to a "real" quarterback.

Westang, N. Augusta, SC 4/18/04  

A.

Westang, He's too big to be a cornerback. Linebacker or fullback maybe, but not corner. Anyway, it's a moot point because Lou Holtz said Saturday he is not moving Pinkins anywhere.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

Joe, I attended the spring game and was wondering why everyone says that Newton threw so well and did so good. He did throw for a lot of yards and run for some but are we forgetting about the 2 int. Anyways do you think this great spring game put him in the #1 slot from now on or what else does he have to do to prove himself worthy of #1.

Lexington1, Lexington 4/17/04  

A.

Lexington, I think most who were at the game would agree with you that Newton wasn't always pretty. Some of his throws were not nice spirals and a lot of his big runs were improvised. But you can't argue with the fact that he moved the ball when he was in there. I think he proved that he is capable of being the starter if the Holtzes want to go that route. But I still think they're going to give Pinkins the first crack at it.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

Joe,what became of the following players: Jeff Grantz,Gary Harper,Zion McKinney(one of the all time great player names in college football),and Casper Carter?

Space Rooster, Corinth,Ms. 4/16/04  

A.

Space, Grantz is the main Budweiser distributor in Columbia and still goes to most home games. Harper was doing some ministry work in the Upstate, don't know if he still is. Don't know about the other two. Any reader with information on them can write in and I'll post it here.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

What do feel are our chances of landing CJ Byrd?  

gbo, greensboro, nc 4/19/04  

A.

Gbo, Obviously, Byrd will have his choice of schools. He already has 21 offers, USC among them. He hasn't really given an indication yet where he's leaning.  

Joe Person 4/19/04  

Q.

Joe, Unless the Gamecocks play their way in, the 2004 team will not appear on the CBS network. This will be the first time in quite awhile that CBS has not picked them. There are some good match ups, so I am sure that JP and ESPN will pick up some of the games. Do the Cocks lose any revenue by not playing on CBS? How does the profit sharing work within the conference? My guess is that TN and FL would have to share TV revenue with all teams. Is that right? Also, this seems like another blow for the University in that even with Holtz CBS does not want USC.  

Rob M, Walkersville, MD 4/23/04  

A.

Rob, TV money is split evenly among all 12 SEC schools. And you're right, there's no question that USC will be on ESPN and Jefferson-Pilot a lot. I'm guessing the Vandy game will be Jefferson-Pilot and Georgia game will be on ESPN.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

Joe, we all know that you don't give much credit to our defense, but who can blame you because of last year. Our first string defense looked terrific at the spring game. I went on the field, and I didn't know how muscular these people actually were. But anyways who impressed me the most is Jonathon Joseph who kept up with speedy Troy and defensive end Gause. Who were your "ALL-STARS" of the spring game. Also, why doesn't our offensive line have much push against only 4 d. lineman? Thanks, Joe.

Cliff, Gilbert, South Carolina 4/22/04  

A.

Cliff, I thought Ko Simpson had the best spring game performance on the defense. Every time I looked up he was in on another tackle. I think the offensive coaches are asking that same question about why a big, veteran offensive line was able to control the line of scrimmage against a front seven that did not stunt or blitz. That had to be a little troubling, considering the OL is considered one of this team's strong suits.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

Joe, I know that you don't cover the clemson tigers or other football team besides Carolina. However, do you think that it would help if you had some other teams to compare with in order to help better assess USC's spring performance? I was just thinking how that could help us to know just how far Carolina has progressed this spring. Thanks Bill  

billymcmillan, Laurinburg, NC. 4/22/04  

A.

Bill, That's a tough comparison because every school is scrimmaging itself. So I don't think comparing USC's spring practice to what Clemson or Georgia did this spring would be real beneficial. Aside from injuries, there's not much else to compare. Incidentally, Lou Holtz was more than pleased with how his team came out of spring with relatively few injuries.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

Joe - has anyone compared last year's Clemson debacle to Holtz' first year 0-11? An awfully strong team climbed out of the 0-11.

gbo, greensboro, nc 4/22/04  

A.

Gbo, You're the first.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

Joe, is it me, or does USC lack star power? Who was the last gamecock to be on 1st team all SEC? Who can make it this year?

Wiseguy, Hopkins 4/22/04  

A.

Wiseguy, USC had two guys on the coaches' all-SEC first team (generally considered the most official team) in 2001: LB Kalimba Edwards and DB Sheldon Brown. I'd say DE Moe Thompson would be the Gamecocks' leading candidate this year.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

I have three questions and one comment? I'm glad that Lou and company are doing a good job in recurting players oversees because people don't realize that football is a world game. Question one, Will Canadian superstar Gurminder Thind sign with USC in the fall? Why does Lou and company recurit in Canada? Has Lou and company ever thought about recuriting oversees (Europe, Asia, and American Samoa) because there is alot of unrecognized talent in those places?

Guy 4/21/04  

A.

Guy, I don't think Thind has made up his mind, yet. USC's Canadian recruiting began a couple of years ago when former asst. Dave DeGuglielmo had a line on a couple of kids, including current TE Robert Pavlovic. On your third question, U.S. schools typically don't recruit overseas because the level of football played there is nowhere close to what's being played in this country.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

Joe, In response to Cockspur, I, for one was apalled at the Clemson debacle. No one cared except the fans. The players got their scholarships, the coaches got their outrageous salaries and the fans, once again got the shaft. I have been going to games since 1968. My wife and I decided to take this season off. I bet you a coke that a lot of other "true fans", and I am serious, will take it off with us. Enough is enough. My question: Why should long suffering fans continue to let themselves be abused by people who are not true USC fans. The players are there until their eligibility runs out and the coaches stay only as long as the inflated checks come in. Neither has long time loyalty to the University. Am I wrong????  

Steve, Rock Hill,SC 4/21/04  

A.

Steve, Fan loyalty is always tested more during down times. Basically fans choose to continue to support their team or not.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

You probably can't (or won't) answer this, but how many of the Gamecock faithful have thrown in the towel after the 63-17 debacle last November? I must admit that my enthusiasm has hit a new low after 46 years of this. Your thoughts?  

Cockspur, Wilmington, NC 4/20/04  

A.

Spur, I would agree. I've talked to many fans -- and even a few former players -- who were disgusted at what they perceived as a lack of effort and a lack of pride from the Gamecocks during the Clemson game. They weren' t upset so much by the fact that USC lost, but the way it lost. Winning can soothe a lot of pain, but my bet is many fans will be taking a wait-and-see attitude with this team.  

Joe Person 4/21/04  

Q.

Joe, Enough about the quaterbacks?Defense wins championships. How good is USC's defense and do you think they'll have enough depth to finish out the season strong in Nowember when it matters?  

Ricky, Georgetown 4/20/04  

A.

Ricky, The first-team defense looked good in the spring game. Then again, was that because the offense made the defense look good? I think the defense will be better, but I think Rick Minter needs to find some depth at safety and defensive tackle.  

Joe Person 4/21/04  

Q.

joe, do we have any new place kickers, field goal or pat kickers or punters coming in this fall, if so what kind of credentials do they bring?

gamecock, al 4/20/04  

A.

Al, The only incoming scholarship player that remotely fits that description is Irmo athlete Grayson Mullins, who could be a punting candidate. I think there are also a couple of walk-ons that kicked and/or punted in high school.  

Joe Person 4/21/04  

Q.

According to The State's printed USC 2004 football schedule the UK game is away this year. Why is this didn't we play them at UK last year?

Anonymous, Washington, DC 4/27/04  

A.

Anon., No, the game was in Columbia last year.  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

Joe, Do you think Rick Minter has been given total responsibility for defense or is Lou calling the shots?

Anonymous 4/26/04  

A.

Anon., Given the fact that Holtz has worked with Minter previously, I think he's more likely to give Minter full autonomy of the defense.  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

Joe,Do you think we need to worry about any possible NCAA Sanctions?Also do you think any possible sanctions would be similar to what Alabama and Kentucky received? Just wanted to add great article about "pops" and I hope he makes the team.

Edward, Tampa,FL 4/26/04  

A.

Edward, See answer to previous post on NCAA. And thanks for the note about 'Pops.' It will be an even better story if he makes the team.  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

Joe, You reported Saturday that the USC AD met with NCAA officials this week. Are we any closer to getting this thing over with? This investigation has been hanging over this team in one form or another for several years. I think it has affected the mindset of this team and recruiting. The USC issues (if there are any) are small compared to some of its sister schools that barely got a hand slap (Tennessee comes to mind). What's the deal? Is this close to being over? Given what is publicly out there, do you see the school getting more than what they have voluntarily done already? This doesn't even come close to Clemson and UT violations.

Houston, Houston, Texas 4/25/04  

A.

Houston, I think this preliminary phase is winding down. I don't think you can call USC's issues "small." The fact is that other than the NCAA's enforcement staff, Mike McGee and a handful of people close to him, no one knows exactly what all the issues are. So I think any comparison to former violations at other schools is premature. It may turn out to be nothing but minor violations; some may turn out to be major. That remains to be seen.  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

How fast does Demetrius Summers run the 40-yard dash in, what is his virticle,and is he going to start next year.

Freddie, Blacksburg, VA 4/24/04  

A.

Freddie, I'm not sure what Summers' 40 time is, although I know he's not the fastest tailback. That distinction belongs to senior Gonzie Gray (sorry, don't have specifics of his time, either). Yes, Summers will start, but he might be sharing carries with Boyd and Turman, and possibly Gray.  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

Joe, Do you honestly think Pinkins will be the quarterback for this entire season? Also do you think this could be the season that USC finally beats Rocky Top?  

Rudy, Clinton 4/24/04  

A.

Rudy, No and maybe.  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

Joe, you can compare out defensive ends with anyone in the SEC's except for maybe LSU. Anyways why do you not think that the defensive tackle position is very good with Strophshire and Saint Prox. Can Marque Hall come in and give them some depth at that position. You said a couple months ago that you wouldn't make any predictions on the season until the spring game, well it's been here and gone. So what is your prediction of this year?  

Cliff , Gilbert, South Carolina 4/23/04  

A.

Cliff, I don't think the defensive tackles are bad players. I'm just not sure they're all-SEC caliber -- guys that can wreak havoc in an opponent's backfield. I'm eager to see if Hall falls into that category. What I said was I wouldn't make any predictions until the spring game at the earliest. I'm holding judgment until August, although I will say that I didn't think USC looked that much better in the spring than it did at the end of last season.  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

Joe, I realize you're not the Oracle of Delphi, but why does Carolina have such a consistent losing football program?  

Space Rooster, Corinth, MS. 4/23/04  

A.

Rooster, That is the first time and probably last that my name has been mentioned alongside the Oracle of Delphi. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that. Nevertheless, the reason for USC's mediocre football tradition that I've heard given most often is a lack of continuity among its head coaches. No one has ever been around long enough to really establish USC as a consistent winner. Morrison certainly seemed to be on that track before his death. Until that happens, USC will be fighting an uphill battle against schools whose traditions allow them to recruit just on their name alone (Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, Texas, Nebraska, et al).  

Joe Person 4/27/04  

Q.

Joe, Unless the Gamecocks play their way in, the 2004 team will not appear on the CBS network. This will be the first time in quite awhile that CBS has not picked them. There are some good match ups, so I am sure that JP and ESPN will pick up some of the games. Do the Cocks lose any revenue by not playing on CBS? How does the profit sharing work within the conference? My guess is that TN and FL would have to share TV revenue with all teams. Is that right? Also, this seems like another blow for the University in that even with Holtz CBS does not want USC.  

Rob M, Walkersville, MD 4/23/04  

A.

Rob, TV money is split evenly among all 12 SEC schools. And you're right, there's no question that USC will be on ESPN and Jefferson-Pilot a lot. I'm guessing the Vandy game will be Jefferson-Pilot and Georgia game will be on ESPN.  

Joe Person 4/23/04  

Q.

Joe, we all know that you don't give much credit to our defense, but who can blame you because of last year. Our first string defense looked terrific at the spring game. I went on the field, and I didn't know how muscular these people actually were. But anyways who impressed me the most is Jonathon Joseph who kept up with speedy Troy and defensive end Gause. Who were your "ALL-STARS" of the spring game. Also, why doesn't our offensive line have much push against only 4 d. lineman? Thanks, Joe.

Cliff, Gilbert, South Carolina 4/22/04  

A.

Cliff, I thought Ko Simpson had the best spring game performance on the defense. Every time I looked up he was in on another tackle. I think the offensive coaches are asking that same question about why a big, veteran offensive line was able to control the line of scrimmage against a front seven that did not stunt or blitz. That had to be a little troubling, considering the OL is considered one of this team's strong suits.