How to cut the cord to save $ and still watch the Bulls?

Cat941

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,087
  • Days Won:  5

After another increase in monthly cost for Directv, I'm yet again considering cutting the cord.  I know we've talked about this before but I couldn't find any recent discussion.  Anyway, I already have ESPN+ separately which is a must-have when trying to view USF events.  I'm in an area that doesn't have great internet so I've kept my satellite tv via Directv for years.  The bonus is there is a lot of sports available through my Directv package including CBSSN, FS1&2, ACCN, SECN, ESPN(s), B10N, Bally Sports and more.   Anyway, can you share how you are watching USF sporting events, especially if it's user-friendly and not cost-prohibitive? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,467
  • Days Won:  14

I watch on one of the underground sites. 

I do have espn+ so thats assuming they're not on the plus

Edited by hm101
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

4 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

After another increase in monthly cost for Directv, I'm yet again considering cutting the cord.  I know we've talked about this before but I couldn't find any recent discussion.  Anyway, I already have ESPN+ separately which is a must-have when trying to view USF events.  I'm in an area that doesn't have great internet so I've kept my satellite tv via Directv for years.  The bonus is there is a lot of sports available through my Directv package including CBSSN, FS1&2, ACCN, SECN, ESPN(s), B10N, Bally Sports and more.   Anyway, can you share how you are watching USF sporting events, especially if it's user-friendly and not cost-prohibitive? 

I had Directv for about 20 years and last year, at the insistence of my brother-in-law, finally cut the cord and subscribed to YouTubeTV. Has everything Directv had for a little less than half the cost, and has a better phone app which allows me to watch TV pretty much anywhere (useful when I'm out shopping with my wife some Saturday mornings). I subscribe separately to Bally's, which is a little more, but still a huge savings. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, hm101 said:

I watch on one of the underground sites. 

I'm way too cautious.  Excessively risk-averse here.  

3 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I had Directv for about 20 years and last year, at the insistence of my brother-in-law, finally cut the cord and subscribed to YouTubeTV. Has everything Directv had for a little less than half the cost, and has a better phone app which allows me to watch TV pretty much anywhere (useful when I'm out shopping with my wife some Saturday mornings). I subscribe separately to Bally's, which is a little more, but still a huge savings. 

Despite being so far south I am still managing to get the TBL and Rays broadcasts on my Directv programming.  But next month I'm losing my local channels since I won't subscribe to an upgrade...so my fear is that I will soon lose the Tampa sports too.  That's great info about YouTubeTV.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

30 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Despite being so far south I am still managing to get the TBL and Rays broadcasts on my Directv programming.  But next month I'm losing my local channels since I won't subscribe to an upgrade...so my fear is that I will soon lose the Tampa sports too.  That's great info about YouTubeTV.  Thanks.  

I've got DirectTV Streaming mostly because they carry Ballys. But right now they are in negotiations with the company that owns the local CBS affiliate so that is gone for now. Went about 75 days without the local NBC affiliate back in the fall. Once they reached a deal they raised the price $5/month. Looked into getting a TabloTV (dvr) and indoor antenna to pick up the CBS channel. But the wifey didn't want anything plastered on the wall so I subscribed to YouTube TV's cheapest plan that included the local stations.  After using DirectTV streaming I'm not loving the interface with YouTube TV.  But I'll drop YouTube as soon as Direct reaches an agreement and brings back CBS. As long as it isn't more than a month or two it will be about the same price as a decent antenna and the TabloTV device.

I like DirectTV and even with their price increase and the price of internet from Frontier I'm still paying less than I was to Frontier a couple of years ago for their cable/phone/TV package. 

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,868
  • Days Won:  25

FubotvfuboTV’s base rate is $74.99 per month for its Pro plan

slingtv- orange or blue packages are around $40. Both, I think is around $55, plus tax.

Hulu + Live TV’s base service is $69.99 per month

YouTubeTV- they are running a 3 month program of $50.99, but it’s normally $72.99

There might be more options out there. This is just off the top of my head.

You can always try getting a quote for service from another vendor. Then calling your provider and tell them you are looking to leave. Tell them you have things lined up. When they try to “save” the account see if they can match or beat the quote you have. The only catch is they probably won’t match streaming services on price. But AT&T, Spectrum, and other folks occasionally run some decent deals that might help you lower your bill.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I've got DirectTV Streaming mostly because they carry Ballys. But right now they are in negotiations with the company that owns the local CBS affiliate so that is gone for now. Went about 75 days without the local NBC affiliate back in the fall. Once they reached a deal they raised the price $5/month. Looked into getting a TabloTV (dvr) and indoor antenna to pick up the CBS channel. But the wifey didn't want anything plastered on the wall so I subscribed to YouTube TV's cheapest plan that included the local stations.  After using DirectTV streaming I'm not loving the interface with YouTube TV.  But I'll drop YouTube as soon as Direct reaches an agreement and brings back CBS. As long as it isn't more than a month or two it will be about the same price as a decent antenna and the TabloTV device.

I like DirectTV and even with their price increase and the price of internet from Frontier I'm still paying less than I was to Frontier a couple of years ago for their cable/phone/TV package. 

Very similar story to mine.  Yes, we have had to resort to the antenna for NBC while in negotiations and recently for CBS.  One problem is that our antenna channels are Fort Myers ones so the sports programming in the past has been problematic i.e., if we want to watch the Bucs.  I can watch ESPN on any device since I have a Directv login so I'm anxious about giving that up.  Internet (and home phone bundle) is through Frontier and it is not fiber yet.  Frontier's fiber network is only available in parts of our town.  

Edited by Cat941
ETA

4 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

FubotvfuboTV’s base rate is $74.99 per month for its Pro plan

slingtv- orange or blue packages are around $40. Both, I think is around $55, plus tax.

Hulu + Live TV’s base service is $69.99 per month

YouTubeTV- they are running a 3 month program of $50.99, but it’s normally $72.99

There might be more options out there. This is just off the top of my head.

You can always try getting a quote for service from another vendor. Then calling your provider and tell them you are looking to leave. Tell them you have things lined up. When they try to “save” the account see if they can match or beat the quote you have. The only catch is they probably won’t match streaming services on price. But AT&T, Spectrum, and other folks occasionally run some decent deals that might help you lower your bill.

Yes, I have a loyalty discount cause I hound 'em every year to get one but it isn't the "best" discount that Directv's ever given me.  They don't seem to care anymore when I contact customer service.  They are quiet quitting LOL.  

Have you tried any of the above?  

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  850
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Cat941 said:

Yoo!

I have a decent setup. First thing, if you're in a tough to get service area then I HIGHLY recommend getting one of the new home internet options if available. I have T-Mobile home internet and it's the best thing I've done in a while. I pay flat $40 per month and get 200mbps and best part is that it connects to 5G cell network. So no need to run wires and have a tech install. Had FiOS before but they kept price increases every year.

After that I have YouTube TV and it's cancel any time so just cancel when bulls football is done with. ESPN+ for basketball cancel that also when season ends. Pick up Bally sports when rays start. I personally like flexibility with no contracts.

• Like 1