Latest Bowl Game Projections

M50_BULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

4 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

You don't think they want to travel to a different bowl venue? Never thought about them being home. 

One thing I'll say as a person who loves to travel. When college football players travel they don't get much of the experience of visiting a city. Their time is so regimented, not much time to explore or be a tourist. 

What it comes down to (in my opinion) that makes a Bowl game a better or worse destination is the activities the bowl sets up for the players. From this perspective, I think the Gasparillia Bowl is probably a pretty good destination. 

I also know money is tight, and much of a Bowl game payout to the school is in the form of tickets, so financially, staying home where we sell more tickets is a good thing for us. 

With all that said, I have no idea what Athletics (and football in particular) want, and how they feel about the home game. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

If we were to get into a Bowl this year, given current circumstances, I would likely be unable to attend unless it is the Duke's Mayo Bowl.  Would love to see Coach Alex get the traditional mayo bath.

image.jpeg.f5c944fef3b88802999a312fe5abbb7e.jpeg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

1 hour ago, flsportsfan83 said:

not much of a reward for the players. 

Yeah I know but probably a better opponent. Also should provide motivation heading to next season to get to a bigger bowl.

• Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,883
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

What it comes down to (in my opinion) that makes a Bowl game a better or worse destination is the activities the bowl sets up for the players. From this perspective, I think the Gasparillia Bowl is probably a pretty good destination. I also know money is tight, and much of a Bowl game payout to the school is in the form of tickets, so financially, staying home where we sell more tickets is a good thing for us. 

Two things..

Vs. Marshall, I believe USF sold less than 15,000 tickets and only half of those people showed up.  I know there is some pent-up demand to attend a bowl game now but not sure we'd sell that much more this time around.

I still say the kids should get a chance to play anywhere else but home.  Yes, they normally are not tourists but at least for a bowl game, they get to go to a couple local events/activities.  With the Gasparilla Bowl, that's probably a trip to Busch Gardens and a maybe a morning at Clearwater Beach.  They've all "been there, done that".  If they do play at RayJay, I at least hope the swag is worth it.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

One thing I'll say as a person who loves to travel. When college football players travel they don't get much of the experience of visiting a city. Their time is so regimented, not much time to explore or be a tourist. 

What it comes down to (in my opinion) that makes a Bowl game a better or worse destination is the activities the bowl sets up for the players. From this perspective, I think the Gasparillia Bowl is probably a pretty good destination. 

I also know money is tight, and much of a Bowl game payout to the school is in the form of tickets, so financially, staying home where we sell more tickets is a good thing for us. 

With all that said, I have no idea what Athletics (and football in particular) want, and how they feel about the home game. 

If this team makes it to a  bowl game they would deserve something special; Vegas, Hawaii,.. would be my choice.

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,146
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, John Lewis said:

We've already beaten them, so shouldn't we have one already?

If only the fumble forward hadn't been called. That year could have ended in a spot where we could have claimed it.

3 hours ago, olafberserker said:

I'm sensing sarcasm

image.png.795dd2b5c6c68a393f5a167e2b9fa2c4.png

3 hours ago, olafberserker said:

I'm sensing sarcasm

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

20 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Two things..

Vs. Marshall, I believe USF sold less than 15,000 tickets and only half of those people showed up.  I know there is some pent-up demand to attend a bowl game now but not sure we'd sell that much more this time around.

I still say the kids should get a chance to play anywhere else but home.  Yes, they normally are not tourists but at least for a bowl game, they get to go to a couple local events/activities.  With the Gasparilla Bowl, that's probably a trip to Busch Gardens and a maybe a morning at Clearwater Beach.  They've all "been there, done that".  If they do play at RayJay, I at least hope the swag is worth it.

Agreed on both points, especially the last one. If we're fortunate to get to a bowl, I hope it's almost anywhere but the Gasparilla bowl. The kids who have stuck it out the previous 3 years deserve more of a reward than another game at RayJay ...

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  53

53 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

still say the kids should get a chance to play anywhere else but home. 

I say not Orlando though :iconic_u_black:

It's all fake 

Edited by Rocky Style
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I say not Orlando though :iconic_u_black:

That might fall under the be careful what you wish for category 😂

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

57 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Two things..

That Gasparilla Bowl had a terrible monsoon. Plus I believe the fans, players and others basically gave up on that coaching staff. It was doomed to fail. Thankfully we have a fan base & program that is starving for a bowl game no matter where USF plays. Hopefully it will be a travel destination for the players and coaching staff. If not I’m still going to be at the Gasparilla Bowl.