the transfer portal

smazza

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

6 hours ago, Brad said:

It depends on the type of players you have.  The departees last year didn't depart because of a coaching change.  That's silly to even consider.  

Nobody said anything that simplistic. That would indeed be silly. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Nobody said anything that simplistic. That would indeed be silly. 

Read the thread Fred.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  124
  • Content Count:  6,804
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

When 1/3 or more your roster leaves, I have no doubt portal transfers will be contributors in the rebuild. It’s who you are giving up and who you are getting back.
The article I posted above did the analysis: 60 All Conference players from the G5 left for the P5. How many All Conference P5s joined G5s?

Perhaps the best case to be made is that USF becomes a top G5 team, so although we lose our talent (which gets more exposure because we are a top team - double edged sword), we get the pick of the P4 castoffs and can poach weaker G5 teams players. Can’t imagine it’s going to be fun coaching first year players perpetually but it is what it is. 

G6 players leaving for the P5 have gone on b4 the NIL b/c students wanted to play the highest level of competition possible. But now with a 12-team playoff format, you can reach the playoffs from a G6 school. In the end, money will sway certain players, but football PLAYERS want to actually PLAY FOOTBALL, and playing time will always be one of the biggest deciding factors. No matter how much money you get paid, a player wants to play.  If you want to enjoy your fandom with a negative future outlook, then go ahead. I'm enjoying the present and see a bright future. 😎

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,293
  • Days Won:  10

5 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

When 1/3 or more your roster leaves, I have no doubt portal transfers will be contributors in the rebuild. It’s who you are giving up and who you are getting back.
The article I posted above did the analysis: 60 All Conference players from the G5 left for the P5. How many All Conference P5s joined G5s?

Perhaps the best case to be made is that USF becomes a top G5 team, so although we lose our talent (which gets more exposure because we are a top team - double edged sword), we get the pick of the P4 castoffs and can poach weaker G5 teams players. Can’t imagine it’s going to be fun coaching first year players perpetually but it is what it is. 

No doubt we will lose some, but every group of 5 team, and even most power 5 teams ( the Boston Colleges, Illinois's and Iowa States' of the world) will be in the same boat. The transfer portal can become an advantage to a savvy coach. I think we have such a coach.

But many will stay and good ones will transfer in. 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

Transfers have always been a big part of our limited success.

we went 1-11 with the guys that left. we are 3-2 with the those that transferred in.

Saying that 60 all conference guys left is misleading. Would they have been all conference at the P5 level?

many of them will likely sit on the bench behind better players at their position. similar to battie. it's why it's very rare for players to transfer up a level.

it can happen though but they are exceptions.

maybe the guys we get off P5 benches in return are actually better? Considering they were signed by P5 in the first place it may well be the case.

Transfer portal and the fact they don't sit a year will benefit us far more than hurt us. Transfers have always benefited us more.

it unlocks all that talent that sits on P5 benches.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,739
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Transfers have always been a big part of our limited success.

we went 1-11 with the guys that left. we are 3-2 with the those that transferred in.

Saying that 60 all conference guys left is misleading. Would they have been all conference at the P5 level?

many of them will likely sit on the bench behind better players at their position. similar to battie. it's why it's very rare for players to transfer up a level.

it can happen though but they are exceptions.

maybe the guys we get off P5 benches in return are actually better? Considering they were signed by P5 in the first place it may well be the case.

Transfer portal and the fact they don't sit a year will benefit us far more than hurt us. Transfers have always benefited us more.

it unlocks all that talent that sits on P5 benches.

Didn't I see where the majority of the starters are leftovers from last regime? 

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Read the thread Fred.

image.png.b70384de5e8d0431912c065bfbb41d28.png ..... Couldn't think of anything to rhyme with quote.

Edited by Triple B

1 hour ago, mjadams said:

Didn't I see where the majority of the starters are leftovers from last regime? 

You did .... in a thread by a very informed poster.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  422
  • Content Count:  9,786
  • Days Won:  8

12 hours ago, Brad said:

His son is at $4.5 million NIL

HA!

Sanders Jr wouldn’t be earning that were it not for trying to get his dad to come in as head coach.

It’s part of their total compensation package to entice the Sanders to their university. Do you think Deion was only concerned with his salary when looking for his next stop? I’m sure his sons NIL was a big factor in choosing where he and his son would go.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,834
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

HA!

Sanders Jr wouldn’t be earning that were it not for trying to get his dad to come in as head coach.

It’s part of their total compensation package to entice the Sanders to their university. Do you think Deion was only concerned with his salary when looking for his next stop? I’m sure his sons NIL was a big factor in choosing where he and his son would go.

This ^^^ … does anyone actually think that Deion is going to still be coaching college football much longer after his sons graduate? His motivation as a coach has always been to ensure Shadeur follows in his financially successful footsteps. I’d actually be willing to bet he makes the jump to NFL coaching or retirement within 4 years.