Football Attendance

Bryson W

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

I'll never understand the USF Greek thing and football games.  I know a lot of it has to do with an OCS, but isn't a huge part of the lifestyle meeting up in a party atmosphere to scope out others as often as possible?  In the fall at most other schools, Saturday home games are a given where that happens.  I'm not sure they understand how lucky they are to be able to get tickets to every game with little effort.  At many other schools, guys would give their right nut to be able to be in that throng at every game.  What am I missing here?

USF does not have a thriving Greek life like other schools. It has been suppressed for decades as USF wanted to be an academic school and not one with a frat/party culture. 

Greek life and athletics are on the same branch of the tree when it comes to institutional theory, and USF has not been supportive of that branch.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,883
  • Days Won:  6

2 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

USF does not have a thriving Greek life like other schools. It has been suppressed for decades as USF wanted to be an academic school and not one with a frat/party culture. Greek life and athletics are on the same branch of the tree when it comes to institutional theory, and USF has not been supportive of that branch.  

Again, I don't disagree but there are 3,700 students in a fraternity or sorority now.  I would bet half of them have no intention of going to a non-P5 home game this year. Yet, I would also bet a good amount of them go to at least one Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, etc. game each year when they visit their brothers or sisters. It won't kill them to show their support for your USF and rep their org 6 times a year when they've already paid for it.  Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

GO BULLS!  GO GREEKS AND SHOW UP!  BE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,146
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

Yes, I kidded 79 Bull but when the OCS is built, and students need to merely stumble to the games, the student section will be packed.  I don't think  they will be the problem.  Getting the community at large involved will be the challenge.

I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that happening. Unless there are only 3k student seats there will be empty seats for opponents like Rice.  Same excuses will still be there other than "It's too far to get to Ray Jay".  It is too hot. It is too early (noon starts), It is too late. It might rain.  Beer is too expensive inside the stadium.  There will be tailgating outside but not sure they make into the stadium. It will be THE thing for the first year. But win only 1 game that year and the following year you'll start seeing issues.

• Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

16 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that happening. Unless there are only 3k student seats there will be empty seats for opponents like Rice.  Same excuses will still be there other than "It's too far to get to Ray Jay".  It is too hot. It is too early (noon starts), It is too late. It might rain.  Beer is too expensive inside the stadium.  There will be tailgating outside but not sure they make into the stadium. It will be THE thing for the first year. But win only 1 game that year and the following year you'll start seeing issues.

I have full faith that our years of winning only 1 game are behind us now. The level of competition wouldn't seem to allow for it. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

10 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Getting the community at large involved will be the challenge.

I would imagine that to be the case. The novelty of the OCS would be short lived, so we're back to making USF football meaningful again.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  142
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Bryson W said:

Thats awful imo, we need it to be full endzone...  half the people in the section yesterday were saying that all the frats weren't at the game so that could be why a lot werent there.

Curious as to why they werent there.....When I was at USF, the greek life community was some of the most faithful game attendees.  I was in a fraternity, and the tailgate and game took priority over anything else for the organization.  In fact, the greek life alumni are the faces I see most often at the games now.  It creates a natural connection to the school.  I am still friends on social media with a bunch of kids I met in my dorms and classes.  I can tell by looking at their social media, they don't go to the games.  The greek life alumni do....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  409
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

Yes, I kidded 79 Bull but when the OCS is built, and students need to merely stumble to the games, the student section will be packed.  I don't think  they will be the problem.  Getting the community at large involved will be the challenge.

We should have the student section in the ocs on the away sideline kinda like uf. Students will likely show out if the stadium is on campus, shove them behind the away bench and be loud instead of an end zone.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:
5 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

Yeah, while I hope for the best, I don't hold my breath.  I watched that seemingly nearly empty game Friday at San Diego State's game, a home MW conference opener for them against a pretty good Boise State team.  The excuses for small crowds at previous games were that the stadium was just too hot, but that game started at 7:30 PT and the temperature  was in the mid 60s.  Maybe it was just too cold.  And I know, it is not technically an "OCS,"  but is about 5 miles away.  Probably an hour in Cali traffic.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

You guys are **** scary to someone who already has buyer's remorse.

Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, Bryson W said:

We should have the student section in the ocs on the away sideline kinda like uf. Students will likely show out if the stadium is on campus, shove them behind the away bench and be loud instead of an end zone.

Specially since that’s the side on every tv screen