Top Posters In This Topic

• BULLO12

• smazza

• E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

We'll have an extra week to prepare for this game ... WE NEED TO BULL 'EM OVER !!!

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Blazers Wrap Up Spring Practice

Brown calls spring drills best he's had at UAB

April 22, 2004

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ----- The UAB football team concluded its 2004 spring practice drills here Thursday afternoon, culminating its final session with a 45-minute scrimmage, and no doubt, left Blazer head coach Watson Brown pleased with the results of the past three weeks.

UAB, which returns 17 of 21 offensive and defensive starters as well as its starting placekicker and punter from last season, wrapped up what Brown called "the best spring practice we've had here.

"I don't think we had anybody hurt seriously and we did a lot of hitting," said Brown. " I think, if we get these kids who are bumped and bruised back by June, which is really really our summer conditioning program starts, we will be in good shape going into two-a-days.

"I think we got a lot accomplished," Brown said "We got a good ways into our defense and I think we got further than I thought we would on offense, putting in a lot of new stuff. I'm very pleased. Really, today the last part of the practice we scrimmaged with mainly a lot of second and third-teamers. We really wanted to take a hard look at every one of them individually and give them one last shot to see where they would fit in with this team.

"I've said many times, you're only as good as your second and third units are," Brown said, "so I'm looking forward to watching the tape from today to see if anyone popped up from the second and third units who can help this team."

A year ago, the Blazers were concluding spring practice having installed a new defense under new defensive coordinator Wayne Bolt. Now, a year later, the UAB defenders are familiar and comfortable with Bolt's system. Brown said the difference from a year ago was obvious.

"Our defense, they just know so much more and most all of them are back," Brown said. "And you can see that. I think we had a good spring defensively. We didn't get anyone hurt. We had three guys (CB Dio Hill, DE Jermaine McElveen and LB Gaylon Black) who weren't out here in the spring because of injury who are important to us and we'll get them back.

"We've said all along, our question mark is the offensive line because we'll have some new people," said Brown. " They weren't all here for the spring and we'll have to jump right into two-a-days. But I think we've got a chance to have a good team."

The Blazers open their 2004 season at home on Saturday, Sept. 4 when they play host to the Baylor Bears of the Big XII Conference.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Brown lauds squads as spring drills come to end

Friday, April 23, 2004

TORAINE NORRIS

News staff writer

With 18 starters on hand for spring drills, UAB coach Watson Brown assumed he could put a little extra work on the Blazers' plates four weeks ago.

He hasn't been disappointed with the outcome.

Brown said his defense was able to get further into its playbook, and his offense made bigger strides than even he imagined this spring. UAB concluded spring drills on Thursday with a two-hour practice that included a brief 45-minute scrimmage that featured mainly second- and third-teamers.

"It's the best spring we've had here," said Brown. "We didn't hurt anybody seriously, and we did a lot of hitting.

"We got a lot accomplished," he said. "We got a good ways into our defense, and we got further than I thought we would on offense, putting in a lot of new stuff. I'm really pleased."

Now the key is making sure many of the injured players who missed spring drills are healthy for summer camp. UAB will open the 2004 season against Baylor on Sept. 4 at Legion Field.

Among those who were limited in spring drills were linebacker Gaylon Black, defensive end Jermaine McElveen, cornerback Dio Hill, running back Dan Burks and receiver Lance Rhodes.

"If we get these kids who are bumped and bruised back by June, which is when really our summer conditioning program starts, we will be in good shape going into two-a-days," said Brown.

Brown said he's especially pleased with the progress of the defense in the second year of coach Wayne Bolt's scheme.

"Our defense knows so much more, and most all of them are back," he said. "We had a good spring defensively."

Several newcomers made strong bids for playing time. Junior receiver Reggie Lindsey, a transfer from Southwest Mississippi Junior College, had a strong spring at receiver. Junior defensive tackle Clarence Respress and sophomore transfer Tony Haynes-Dalton possibly wrapped up playing time along the defensive line with their efforts, as did sophomore defensive end Larry McSwain.

Sophomore tackle Cornelius Rogers will likely enter fall camp as the No.1 man at left tackle, but the arrival of newcomers such as Julius Wilson and Marcus Lampton in the fall will throw the battle wide open for spots along the offensive line.

"We've said all along our question mark is the offensive line because we'll have some new people," said Brown. "They weren't all here for the spring, and we'll have to jump right into two-a-days. But I think we've got a chance to have a good team."