Was anyone else disappointed w/football team?

gurlybull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562
  • Days Won:  0

..and they may deserve our thanks, which believe me they have gotten it from me, but they cannot act like it is their right, it is their priveledge.  They will lose that priveledge if they start to get attitudes like those from Miami, whom I cannot stand.

ah, so we are finally getting to the heart of the matter:  the way the USF football team dresses vs. your personal preference of how they should dress.  sorry to break it to you, but UMiami has done NOTHING since they got off probation to warrant a program that "will lose that privilege"-- its so sad how people perceive things based on what they see on their exterior.. well, if you dont like the way UMiami or USF players dress, act, or talk, that is your problem.  if you are scared of someone based on their clothing, haircuts, or accents, you have no one to blame but yourself.  these boys are simply being themselves at a casual dressed event (college basketball game), you cant fault them for wearing what was in their wardrobe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gurlybull

• FazaUSF

• cee

• Triple B

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Right, because if PJ read the board he wouldn't be PERSONALLY offended at you attacking the way he plays, not him. This is just funny.

I did not ever once call them thugs.

Don't talk with me about not being able to fill the lower bowl.  I have been to every home game this entire season.  My seats aren't assigned, so I get there 3 hours before the game, not to tailgate, but to wait outside the gate so I can run in and sit for another two hours before the game even starts.  I also bought 12 tix to the bowl game.  

..and they may deserve our thanks, which believe me they have gotten it from me, but they cannot act like it is their right, it is their priveledge.  They will lose that priveledge if they start to get attitudes like those from Miami, whom I cannot stand.

PJ may not like the comments but they are not attacking his character or integrity. Step back a minute: you are blasting these kids for what they wear. In doing so you opened the door for our players to be subjected to a litany of negative stereotypes aimed at young African Americans who enjoy the hiphop fashion.  Some of the comment border on racist or at the very least racially insenstive.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

I never said anything about my personal preference of the way they dress.  I said I think professionalism at an official event shouldn't be too much to expect.  I am not talking suits and tie necessarily, just professionally.  

And, what I meant by the Miami players is that the general attitude there is that they deserve recognition when most of the time they haven't earned.  If they don't win a National Championship, their season has sucked.  Their players and fans are cocky.  I was not saying USF players are like that, I am just saying they should not get the attitude like that.  Our players are special in that they aren't like that.  That is what the Miami comment referred too.

and if I was scared of the way people dressed I wouldnt live in tampa.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

Ha, so now I am being racist?  YOU ARE THE ONE WHO ASSUMED EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THE COURT WAS AFRICAN AMERICAN.

Show me a single comment I wrote that was racist.  Give me a break, now you are just digging.  The point of the thread was to get peoples opinions on a dress code for Athletes.  Don't personally attack me and make up ********.  I am a bulls fan too.  Drop it.

**and for the record, I didn't write bullcrap, what I wrote was edited.

They came out in saggin jeans, hats all twisted, no USF gear whatsoever, big chains, and looking quite scary in my personal opinion.

and if I was scared of the way people dressed I wouldnt live in tampa.

according to what you've already said, you better start packing your bags.  here's an interesting question:  would you be disappointed or scared if they came out wearing cowboy boots, big belt buckles, button-down long sleeve shirts, and cowboy hats and/or john deere hats?  it would be just as "inappropriate"

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,319
  • Days Won:  11

these boys are simply being themselves at a casual dressed event (college basketball game), you cant fault them for wearing what was in their wardrobe

No, but we can fault coaching staff for not placing higher expectations on team members who choose to represent our university and our Athletics program at an official event, in an official capacity, and in the presence of a nationally televised audience, as well as several NBA recruiters. "What was in their wardrobe" was not the only thing in their wardrobe, I'm sure. While I understand the comment someone made about some folks coming from underpriveleged backgrounds, most college students have somewhat "nicer" clothing for times when it is needed. Slacks and a tie? Not necessary. Maybe nice jeans and a USF football polo, I don't know; I don't want to start placing limits by making suggestions. But the fact of the matter is, football players are minor celebrities, and they represent out institution and our Athletics department at all times in public. It's not too much to ask that the coaching staff request a good representation at official events. Coach RMC even requires a clean-shaven and well-groomed appearance; it's not too much to ask that football players wear something a bit more than "normal garb" - whatever it may be - to official events.

according to what you've already said, you better start packing your bags.  here's an interesting question:  would you disappointed or scared if they came out wearing cowboy boots, big belt buckles, button-down long sleeve shirts, and cowboy hats and/or john deere hats?  it would be just as "inappropriate"

Yes, as a matter of fact, I would think it as inappropriate.

cee, arguing may be your favorite late-night entertainment, but you're digging a bit too deep for your giggles. Brittany's comments have had absolutely nothing to do with racism or stereotyping.

It's not too much to ask that the coaching staff request a good representation at official events.

ya, its not too much to ask, but no one should be upset about the fact that the coaching staff didnt request it-- after all, what they wore was not offensive and/or illegal.  the original poster suggested that she was "disappointed" with what they wore.. there is no reason to be disappointed, it wont change their performance on the field and it wont increase any sort of criminal activity off the field either

ya, its not too much to ask, but no one should be upset about the fact that the coaching staff didnt request it-- after all, what they wore was not offensive and/or illegal.  the original poster suggested that she was "disappointed" with what they wore.. there is no reason to be disappointed, it wont change their performance on the field and it wont increase any sort of criminal activity off the field either

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if they weren't wearing anything offensive of illegal. That would be ABSOLUTELY terrible. Nobody is saying the players' garb was terrible; some folks just felt they could have gone a little farther to represent USF in a nicer manner, that's all. Criminal activity has nothing to do with this - why do you have such a chip on your shoulder?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I would think it as inappropriate.

cee, arguing may be your favorite late-night entertainment, but you're digging a bit too deep for your giggles. Brittany's comments have had absolutely nothing to do with racism or stereotyping.

i never suggested that it had anything to do with racism, did i?  my whole point is that it is a matter of one person's personal preference over someone else's.. how do you define what is inappropriate and what isnt?