Important OCS Update

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Yes, we will definitely not be among that group... as that will be limited to about 40-50 teams in the SEC, B1G, and a few in the ACC right now.

But it's not P2 and nothing else... There will be a Mid-2 as well.  The Big12 and the ACC will have another 40-50 teams.  USF will be in this tier.

The rest of the FBS (MWC, C-USA SBC, and the AAC) will be the remaining 40-45 teams in the third tier.

I agree with this and I hope the group we are in comes up with some common sense rules Regarding player pay etc and has our own playoffs.

schools at our level of revenue can't pay our coaches, players, etc as much as top tier.

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,379
  • Days Won:  491

32 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Yes, we will definitely not be among that group... as that will be limited to about 40-50 teams in the SEC, B1G, and a few in the ACC right now.

But it's not P2 and nothing else... There will be a Mid-2 as well.  The Big12 and the ACC will have another 40-50 teams.  USF will be in this tier.

The rest of the FBS (MWC, C-USA SBC, and the AAC) will be the remaining 40-45 teams in the third tier.

So are we really making a move?

Seems to me it's

• P2
  • Big 12
  • Picked apart ACC (Maybe losers of PAC 4 mixed in but doubtful)
  • G_

If the ACC is not picked apart and can differentiate it's level play from the G5 it will be an improvement.  But I don't think the Big 12 is finished either.  Wait until that ACC carcass is exposed then we'll decide if we actually got to "the conference you want" or simply what was left of it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

Just now, Brad said:

So are we really making a move?

Seems to me it's

• P2
  • Big 12
  • Picked apart ACC (Maybe losers of PAC 4 mixed in but doubtful)
  • G5

If the ACC is not picked apart and can differentiate between it's play from the G5 it will be an improvement.  But I don't think the Big 12 is finished either.  Wait until that ACC carcass is exposed then we'll decide if we actually got to "the conference you want" or simply what was left of it.

Not sure why you think the B12 is somehow better than the "picked apart" ACC which will only lose 4 to 6 teams.  They are equals... the only difference is the B12 was able to extend a contract before TV money started drying up.  The B12 will be shocked when their next contract doesn't match their current one.

But I guess if you think the sky is falling, nothing can convince you it's not.

SEC, B10 and Big12 are growing.  PAC is decreasing and ACC is not changing until half the conference leaves.  

I just think it's getting ridiculous.  CFB is going to become the P2.  They are consolidating top teams.

Like you said B12 deal will drop (in 5 years I think), so money will be lower.  But my comment is they are a more powerful conference than a dilapidated ACC.  Just has better teams.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  1

What advantage do you see the B12 having over the ACC right now? The B12 has already lost its FSU/Clemson/UNC/Miami in the forms of UT/OU/TAMU/Nebraska, and they're still chugging along. What's to say the ACC doesn't do the same and back fill and come out alright? They also have the ACCN.

EDIT: I see you guys already beat me to the question :( 

Edited by USF_Bullsharks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,968
  • Days Won:  436

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Mr. Trip thinks we are building for now.  It has to be for a better conference, better opponents and better revenue streams. 

We're not building it for any conference or for any opponents. We're building it for USF teams and fans. And as far as better revenue streams go, are you saying that what USF_B wrote is not entirely accurate?

7 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

The stadium planning was underwritten with today's budget and revenues expected from the completion of the project, not with the expectation of an additional $25MM in conference TV money.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,310
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

We're not building it for any conference or for any opponents. We're building it for USF teams and fans. And as far as better revenue streams go, are you saying that what USF_B wrote is not entirely accurate?

I 100 percent agree with the sentiment but have always found it odd that the OCS plans came not that long after Cincy, UCF, and Houston left for the Big 12. I do believe that the two were related and that USF administration believes that we need  a stadium for the eventuality of being invited by a  Power 5 ( maybe now 4) conference. But yes regardless we need it for the fanbase as well

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,968
  • Days Won:  436

5 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I 100 percent agree with the sentiment but have always found it odd that the OCS plans came not that long after Cincy, UCF, and Houston left for the Big 12. I do believe that the two were related and that USF administration believes that we need  a stadium for the eventuality of being invited by a  Power 5 ( maybe now 4) conference. But yes regardless we need it for the fanbase as well

Probably not a coincidence and gave it a push but could also be just that the time has arrived for the ocs. Donor levels have risen steadily since MK got here in possibly the worst times inside USF Athletics, based primarily on football, and a just as bad environment outside with the pandemic. The fan base is over 20 years old now and with that aging comes more disposable income from long time fans.

30 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I agree with Jim, we are building it for the conference we want to be in.  

Did we make projections based on our current situation?  Probably pretty close to that.  I haven't seen them.  But that's not the point.  There's no guarantee that the AAC will be around in 2026.  We could be playing St. Leo.  Nope, they shut down their football...

• Haha 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  3,670
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Brad said:

SEC, B10 and Big12 are growing.  PAC is decreasing and ACC is not changing until half the conference leaves.  

I just think it's getting ridiculous.  CFB is going to become the P2.  They are consolidating top teams.

Like you said B12 deal will drop (in 5 years I think), so money will be lower.  But my comment is they are a more powerful conference than a dilapidated ACC.  Just has better teams.

P2's will shed some dead weight at some point. Why split the pie up 18-20 schools when at least 2-4 in each conference being no where near what new members are bringing.

Stadium helps us join the P5 castaways.

Edited by Sk00b
so im not off topic ;)
  • Upvote 2