Important OCS Update

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,379
  • Days Won:  491

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

and there was nothing to elicit the urgency you're talking about

Well, I’ve already stated that my first time in Raymond James Stadium, it was clear it was not a good fit.

Now, you’re a Bucs fan and it probably seems like a fine fit for you.  It seems very familiar.

How many college teams have on-campus stadiums isn’t it like 98% and now suddenly you’re saying we’re realizing it’s important for our students and our student athletes (in the current situation)?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,379
  • Days Won:  491

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

WE were doing fine without one.

Complacency.  Not investing in program.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,674
  • Days Won:  255

Major long term investments in something on the way up = good; major long term investments in something on the way down = bad. 

The reason Blockbuster doesn’t exist any longer isn’t because they didn’t expand wide enough or remodel every store.

You don’t buy your families dream house at the top of the market with your career in uncertainty as a last ditch effort to keep your family together since your wife is ready to leave you.

You work on things, you see if your situation does in fact improve and then if it does there is still another dream home to be had; which is not to say that at no point in the marriage when things were looking up that it wouldn’t have been a decent investment in your future.

Improve the situation and then you can see if you think it’s a good idea to build a stadium but you don’t build a stadium because you think it’s going to miraculously improve your situation and you need a grand gesture.

Can anyone find me anywhere that a conference has ever even alluded to having an OCS as even the smallest sliver of a consideration? It’s just something people tell themselves to excuse away getting passed up but this can be what happens in an OCS just as easily 

0B6ED67D-096E-433C-B1B8-8456B147A1A8.gif.3a02d9a2e97e3ac079f115ea161ad347.gif

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,169
  • Days Won:  109

6 hours ago, puc86 said:

Can anyone find me anywhere that a conference has ever even alluded to having an OCS as even the smallest sliver of a consideration? It’s just something people tell themselves to excuse away getting passed up but this can be what happens in an OCS just as easily 

Well, rumor has it the Big12 told us to build a stadium and then maybe we'd be considered.  I'm agreeing with you and being sarcastic.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Well, rumor has it the Big12 told us to build a stadium and then maybe we'd be considered.  I'm agreeing with you and being sarcastic.

I hope you skipped to that part

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,169
  • Days Won:  109

36 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I hope you skipped to that part

The gif caught my eye so I read the paragraph above it.  😄

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

The gif caught my eye so I read the paragraph above it.  😄

Hey Siri remind me to use more click bait

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

Major long term investments in something on the way up = good; major long term investments in something on the way down = bad. 

The reason Blockbuster doesn’t exist any longer isn’t because they didn’t expand wide enough or remodel every store.

You don’t buy your families dream house at the top of the market with your career in uncertainty as a last ditch effort to keep your family together since your wife is ready to leave you.

You work on things, you see if your situation does in fact improve and then if it does there is still another dream home to be had; which is not to say that at no point in the marriage when things were looking up that it wouldn’t have been a decent investment in your future.

Improve the situation and then you can see if you think it’s a good idea to build a stadium but you don’t build a stadium because you think it’s going to miraculously improve your situation and you need a grand gesture.

0B6ED67D-096E-433C-B1B8-8456B147A1A8.gif.3a02d9a2e97e3ac079f115ea161ad347.gif

If you are talking about building the OCS JUST to get into a P4 conference, then yes, you are correct; BUT, I don’t look at it like that. It’s an investment in our university, athletes, students, alumni and city. As we have mentioned before, we need butts in the seats and forever fans. Winning gets the bandwagon fans, but experience and tradition create forever fans. The OCS will improve game day experience, alumni will come back with children and grandchildren, students can walk to the game, athletes can see and feel USF, recruiting other sports can showcase the universities investment and interest in successful sports, we can have a USF football HOF/museum, other activities can be held there bringing more people to campus. Lastly, it shows other conferences that we are committed to USF sports AND have better control over finances (albeit the loan, but other revenue streams from tickets, concessions and apparel). It is a big step in an athletics department overhaul and paradigm shift. There are many ways to look at it, tho some choose to only look at it from one vantage point, the others points exist as well, and that’s a reality. 

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,677
  • Days Won:  19

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

Given the state of college football in general, and in particular the state of USF football, I agree with this point and think it only makes sese to build an OCS if it is part of a more comprehensive infrastructure improvement plan that benefits the university and the community at large.  But, for whatever reason, they didn't ask me for my input.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, michibull said:

If you are talking about building the OCS JUST to get into a P4 conference, then yes, you are correct; BUT, I don’t look at it like that. It’s an investment in our university, athletes, students, alumni and city. As we have mentioned before, we need butts in the seats and forever fans. Winning gets the bandwagon fans, but experience and tradition create forever fans. The OCS will improve game day experience, alumni will come back with children and grandchildren, students can walk to the game, athletes can see and feel USF, recruiting other sports can showcase the universities investment and interest in successful sports, we can have a USF football HOF/museum, other activities can be held there bringing more people to campus. Lastly, it shows other conferences that we are committed to USF sports AND have better control over finances (albeit the loan, but other revenue streams from tickets, concessions and apparel). It is a big step in an athletics department overhaul and paradigm shift. There are many ways to look at it, tho some choose to only look at it from one vantage point, the others points exist as well, and that’s a reality. 

I think this is looking at it from a historical perspective and ignoring the cap that exists based on who you are playing and that live sports attendance in general is in decline. The Yuengling center is not packed with people reliving the BEAST days, it is mostly empty.

The Tampa market has spoken and most people want nothing to do with the AAC and they will want even less to do with it as it continues to decline. If we do not have have a solution in place for the AAC problem there is nothing else that can be done to force people to be excited about something they are not going to be excited about. 

In the past decade most Minor League stadiums around here have had amazing improvements to keep Spring Training up to snuff but that has not lead to any greater minor league attendance within those stadiums. College Football is now professional sports and no one cares about third tier minor league professional sports even if it is playing in their back yard.

This is not Field of Dreams and Shoeless Joe Jackson is not going to come if we build it, which would lead to the people coming. UNT is going to show up which will lead to emptiness anywhere and everywhere. 

• Upvote 1