Important OCS Update

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

This 100% Hillsborough had their chances and couldn’t come up with the $$$ and location. 

Maybe. But given the residual animosity some have towards the last time taxpayers had to chose to fund a stadium, maybe the enthusiasm for moving a baseball team thirty miles to an already NFL, NHL, and NCAA city was somewhat more tepid than was publicly let on. Kind of like put up an obligatory minimum effort just to say "Ok, yeah - we participated but, oh well...". 🤨

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  6,308
  • Days Won:  12

5 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Maybe. But given the residual animosity some have towards the last time taxpayers had to chose to fund a stadium, maybe the enthusiasm for moving a baseball team thirty miles to an already NFL, NHL, and NCAA city was somewhat more tepid than was publicly let on. Kind of like put up an obligatory minimum effort just to say "Ok, yeah - we participated but, oh well...". 🤨

I can see that point. Taxpayers always get screwed in these deals. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Rex Havoc said:

St. Pete is definitely changed a lot in the last decade or so. 10 years ago people would have laughed at you if you’d tell them condos downtown would be selling for 600k plus. It used to be a ghost town after dark. Now you have to have some big $$$ to live there. 

The ‘empty butts in the seats’ argument for relocating from StP was incredibly overstated.  It’s expensive to move teams and the Rays new it.  Plus butts in seats for a team don’t account for much

Truth is empty seats or attendance has very limited effect on the bottom line.  In aggregate, an MLB team’s ticket sales only account for ~30% of total revenue.  

Luxury box sales are a part of this 30% and is what really influences the bottom line and casts the greatest financial shadow.

Somewhere between 5-20% of TOTAL revenue are now represented solely by luxury box ticket sales and a lesser and lesser fraction of the bottom line is contributed by the average MLB seat.

The Rays got their new stadium and  ultimately what they were really after- new luxury boxes.  Glad to see it get done.

Edited by dclenden

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

there should never be one empty seat

give away the tickets if you must and get money on parking and concessions

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, smazza said:

there should never be one empty seat

give away the tickets if you must and get money on parking and concessions

I think it’s a proven fact that attendance grows exponentially with discounted tickets. I am certainly no accountant, but I do know there’s a calculable number to break even on pricing. So anything above that number would be profitable.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

Spoke with someone today who is definitely in the know with respect to OCS renderings (can't tell you who). But that person confirmed that the OCS is still in "intense design phase" and that renderings won't be published until that phase is complete. There is no timetable (the focus is on getting it right, not getting it done quickly), and a release of renderings is not imminent. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thought I should pass that nugget of info along...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,134
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, TallyBull said:

Spoke with someone today who is definitely in the know with respect to OCS renderings (can't tell you who). But that person confirmed that the OCS is still in "intense design phase" and that renderings won't be published until that phase is complete. There is no timetable (the focus is on getting it right, not getting it done quickly), and a release of renderings is not imminent. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thought I should pass that nugget of info along...

Matthew Mcconaughey Table Flip GIF by The Gentlemen

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Actually, that is good news to me. No rush. Make sure it is done right. I felt the Rays have rushed on their renderings and now they are getting a lot of backlash.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Just give me shade or give me death ....

• Upvote 1