Sources: Kennesaw State's Amir Abdur-Rahim is finalizing a deal to be the next head coach at South Florida.

theman123

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,424
  • Content Count:  98,314
  • Days Won:  490

1 hour ago, bullstampede9922 said:

His brother played in the NBA for 12 years

I thought this was the dude that played in the NBA, darn.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,609
  • Days Won:  255

10 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

This is a home run hire... and I am glad Kelly took his time.

I honestly believe Brey was the one and Brey either forgot or didn't know about his Notre Dame contract details... and while a formal offer wasn't made, that doesn't mean they weren't "this close" to making it.  After all, you don't make a formal offer until you know it will be accepted.  When Brey fell through, Kelly stepped back and re-evaluated his list.

For anyone who has hired before, when you have multiple candidates for one position you talk to all of them... it's not like you go "down a list" you interview a bunch of people, check references, confirm resumes, narrow your list, hold more conversations, etc.   People think Amir was "Plan C" when in reality, Amir, Odom, Capko, and others were all on the same list.

Would you characterize your propensity to find success in VPMK’s decisions to be relatively equal to my propensity to find the failure? I like your commitment to the due factor and I’m pulling for you; this is much closer to a bunt but sometimes those do in fact become home runs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,745
  • Days Won:  30

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

While I kind of appreciate a coach crying instead of just making us cry, it’s kind of funny that he is crying about his commitment to the program and the players buy in and commitment and then would leave a couple of weeks later to do 3 years at a job that is desperate enough to have had to find out w(ho)tf  you are.

So maybe he goes to Auburn after telling usf he is committed to the bulls.

23 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

New coaches have new systems that may or may not fit the current players... new coaches need time to recruit the right players.

The dreaded B.S.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Tyler Harris came in from the portal, and USF improved from the previous two years.

The schedule is also be tinkered with - making crappy non-cons, the buy games, the ones that fill your win column.  Except last season, we lost to some.  

21 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

But the portal is a double edged sword... we will lose players as well.

Tre Moss is gone.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,251
  • Days Won:  37

17 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

If this is finally the actual selection, what he will be inheriting is USF.  As for the past 50+ years, I will pray for the best but brace for something less.

Good question. I'm not sure who we may have that would stay, or enter the portal. 

I believe that he will be able to recruit what we need to move the program forward.

AAR seems like a "culture guy" so those of you that disbelieve in creating a winning culture, you may want to step off the USF Basketball trolley now.  However, you disbelievers are right - it would be downright foolish and idiotic to have any comfort with a Willie Taggart like 3-4 year process with College Basketball.  Very good to Great coaches don't take 4 years to have a stellar season.  AAR is a guy with little experience, but some success.  Let's see what happens.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

I will also say that looking at that murderers row of teams that KSU ran through for its wins this year does not inspire in me a sense of grandeur., delusional or otherwise.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,745
  • Days Won:  30

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

AAR seems like a "culture guy" so those of you that disbelieve in creating a winning culture, you may want to step off the USF Basketball trolley now.  However, you disbelievers are right - it would be downright foolish and idiotic to have any comfort with a Willie Taggart like 3-4 year process with College Basketball.  Very good to Great coaches don't take 4 years to have a stellar season.  AAR is a guy with little experience, but some success.  Let's see what happens.

To create a winning culture you must win and let the results speak for themselves. You can't get embarrassed and win one fbs game in two seasons and claim you improved the culture.  If now the new coaches can come in and show real improvement  in the columb and pull off some upsets then can say they changed the culture. If the new guys  can't improve the record or pull off some upsets then the culture is still a losing one. You are what your record says you are and not what you tell other people you are.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  165
  • Days Won:  0

ChatGPT 4.0 says this is the right hire. I for one believe our AI overlords. 

Please provide speculative records for USF for each of the next five seasons including your best guess at any post season accolades.

Given the historical data and considering Amir Abdur-Rahim's coaching record, here is a speculative projection of USF's men's basketball team records and potential postseason accolades for each of the next five seasons. Please note that these predictions are purely speculative and may not accurately represent the team's actual performance:

1. Year 1 (2023-24):

• Overall record: 16-15 (.516)
    • Conference record: 8-10
    • Postseason: No postseason accolades
  2. Year 2 (2024-25):

• Overall record: 18-13 (.581)
    • Conference record: 10-8
    • Postseason: NIT appearance (early round exit)
  3. Year 3 (2025-26):

• Overall record: 21-10 (.677)
    • Conference record: 12-6
    • Postseason: NCAA Tournament appearance (Round of 64 or Round of 32)
  4. Year 4 (2026-27):

• Overall record: 23-8 (.742)
    • Conference record: 13-5
    • Postseason: NCAA Tournament appearance (Round of 32 or Sweet 16)
  5. Year 5 (2027-28):

• Overall record: 24-7 (.774)
    • Conference record: 14-4
    • Postseason: NCAA Tournament appearance (Sweet 16 or possibly Elite 😎

These projections assume steady improvement in USF's men's basketball team's performance under Amir Abdur-Rahim's leadership. However, please keep in mind that these predictions are purely speculative and many factors, including player recruitment, injuries, and overall team dynamics, could influence the team's actual performance.

• Haha 2