Board passes $22M for stadium design

Dave_Glaser

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,272
  • Days Won:  10

1 minute ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I think with college football, the core fans are those who actually went to the school or are from that specific small college town where there are no NFL teams. Whereas with the NFL, you pretty much will root for the team of the city you currently live in or it will be based on a particular player if it's not a team you grew up watching.  I use to be a big Hakeem Olajuan fan and would watch the Houston Rockets games as much as my beloved Miami Heat b/c of one player. I have a buddy who is a big New England fan, but he started watching Bucs football just because of his love for Tom Brady.  The NFL/NBA has more fans that aren't associated with a college at all. 

I think that's exactly right. When I lived in Tampa everyone was a Buccaneers fan, but mostly only students and alum rooted for the Bulls ( mostly). Personally I never rooted for the Bucs and always secretly wished the Bucs would move to another city, so we could take over their stadium, remove that pirate ship and sell it to ECU, and paint the place green and gold.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  1

That's unfortunately how c created such a following. Only post-hs football in Orlando. Most were FSU/UF/MIA fans, but for those who just loved college football, they'd go to the Citrus Bowl and watch the games. 

Source: Grew up in Orlando with a c fan father who never went there, but enjoyed watching the MACtion. Marshall dominated the conference back then btw. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, Brad said:

So people would rather watch CFB at home but NFL is seeing increasing in-person attendance as indicated.  Why?  

16 NFL games per week vs 65 college games?  Just a guess. Plus pro teams aren't drawing from the short attention span, video game playing age?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

18 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

That's unfortunately how c created such a following. Only post-hs football in Orlando. Most were FSU/UF/MIA fans, but for those who just loved college football, they'd go to the Citrus Bowl and watch the games. 

Source: Grew up in Orlando with a c fan father who never went there, but enjoyed watching the MACtion. Marshall dominated the conference back then btw. 

This is what a lot here still don't appear to get at times. It was an almost completely different environment over there in which to build a program ..... one a lot more conducive ..... and it didn't hurt that a college football COY fell into their lap.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

16 NFL games per week vs 65 college games? 

Not sure the number of games matter.  Why are more fans of college teams allegedly no longer going to stadium, yet more fans of an NFL team are going to stadium?

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,699
  • Days Won:  53

5 hours ago, Brad said:

Not sure the number of games matter.  Why are more fans of college teams allegedly no longer going to stadium, yet more fans of an NFL team are going to stadium?

Maybe the strudents are protesting the latest thing.  Back in my day we just wanted to protest against nanomachines. 🤔

Edited by Rocky Style

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,137

I don’t know I don’t really think it’s an issue. I think if they are big notable games people go. I see plenty of packed stadiums on Saturdays. I really don’t think it is a concern and what it’s going to be great to get back on topic is when our stadium is packed as well! It’s really good to annoy some people on this board though when that happens!

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  566

The reason college attendance is down is the same partially the same reason our country is so split politically.  You have a large protion of kids that are the pro LGBT and BLM group that think football is toxic mascalinity . (you also have so many kids that would rathe play video games all day). You still have a core (mostly in the blue blood south schools) of kids that do love colege football and are more conservative then people think, Hence the F Joe Biden chants recently.   

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,755
  • Days Won:  6

NFL is more popular than CFB, because fans of all 32 teams understand that each of their teams has a shot at winning the Super Bowl.  There is no P5/G5 crap in the NFL and fans realize that even the Texans and Lions have a shot at putting it all together and winning the big one. There is not a committee in the NFL deciding who is going to make the playoffs. Win and you are in, as it should be. Plus, and this is just my opinion here, NFL games are way more exciting than college games.  I have been to Raiders, Bucs, Jaguars, Dolphins, Eagles, Colts, Titans and Steelers home games, and the energy I have felt at those games completely dwarfed anything I have ever experienced at a USF, UCF, FSU or UF home game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

3 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

NFL is more popular than CFB, because fans of all 32 teams understand that each of their teams has a shot at winning the Super Bowl.  There is no P5/G5 crap in the NFL and fans realize that even the Texans and Lions have a shot at putting it all together and winning the big one. There is not a committee in the NFL deciding who is going to make the playoffs. Win and you are in, as it should be. Plus, and this is just my opinion here, NFL games are way more exciting than college games.  I have been to Raiders, Bucs, Jaguars, Dolphins, Eagles, Colts, Titans and Steelers home games, and the energy I have felt at those games completely dwarfed anything I have ever experienced at a USF, UCF, FSU or UF home game.

So college attendance should go back up with the 12 team playoffs? ........ Win and you're in.