image.thumb.png.a0a33bdd5f24accec7711854b2cc7715.png

image.thumb.png.916a84682d032c7a310f918fa50f6f5f.png

image.png.ffd4234ead554977da922887f34b8c05.png

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,761
  • Days Won:  0

Harris was cooking tonight. The Memphis fan sitting next to me said he sure does miss that guy.

The refs were pretty much trash, but we lost mainly because of turnovers and Memphis just being a better overall team.

The best part of the night for me was seeing so many former USF men's basketball players at the game. The "regulars" were there, of course, but also BB Waldon, DoJo, and Jordan Omogbehin (a.k.a Omos of WWE fame). It was good to see Dobras smiling ear-to-ear as he was being honored on the court. 

A big thank you out to my TBP club ticket benefactor. I was on the fence and going tonight, but this was definitely a good game to be down close to the court. 

Go Bulls! 🤘

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

our athletic dept is an embarrassment

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,238
  • Days Won:  68

1 hour ago, smazza said:

our athletic dept is an embarrassment

You have certainly turned into the negative Nelly, it was obvious Memphis was frustrated with the loss to Tulane and they took it out on us. The game was over in the first couple of minutes, we tried to make it a game but were severely outmanned.  

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, Friscobull said:

You have certainly turned into the negative Nelly, it was obvious Memphis was frustrated with the loss to Tulane and they took it out on us. The game was over in the first couple of minutes, we tried to make it a game but were severely outmanned.  

Being a Negative Nelly has always been smazza's schtick

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,803
  • Days Won:  213

Memphis Logo
Memphis 18-6,8-3 AAC
South Fla. Logo
South Fla. 10-14,3-8 AAC
Score By Periods
Team 1 2 F
Memphis 48 51 99
South Fla. 35 46 81

Game Recap: Men's Basketball | February 08, 2023

Harris breaks AAC three-point record in loss to Memphis

Tyler Harris became the American’s all-time leader in three-pointers on Wednesday night.

Story Links

Cincinnati

Next Game:

at Cincinnati

2/11/2023 | 7:00 P.M.

ESPN+

102.5 HD-2 & Bulls Unlimited (TuneIn)

TAMPA (February 8, 2023)Tyler Harris became the American Athletic Conference's new all-time leader in career three-pointers (266) on Wednesday night at the Yuengling Center, but his 28-point effort wasn't enough to carry the University of South Florida (10-14, 3-8 AAC) in a 99-81 loss to Memphis (18-6, 8-3 AAC).

The former Memphis Tiger, Harris, broke the record against his old team where he drained 193 three-pointers in three seasons.

Harris' record-setting triple came at the 8:59 mark of the second half and cut the South Florida deficit to 75-66 at the time after Memphis had built a 19-point lead in the opening minutes of the frame.

The Tigers would once again build their lead to double digits, and with 5:46 left to play, a basket by Harris made it an 85-76 affair. Despite shooting 62 percent in the second half, the Bulls were unable to slow the Memphis offense which posted a 59 percent clip of its own in the second half and knocked down seven straight baskets to close the game.

"Memphis is very dynamic on offense with a lot of talented players and can be tough to defend. But, the turnovers, especially in the first half really hurt us," said head coach Brian Gregory. "Credit Memphis for taking advantage of those and scoring nearly a third of their points off those turnovers. Mistakes like that get amplified when you're playing a team of that caliber, and we just couldn't get that big stop on defense in the second half when we had made it a single-digit game on a couple occasions."

Memphis scored 30 points off 17 USF turnovers in the contest. The Bulls committed 12 of those turnovers in the first half which translated to 20 Tiger points.

The Bulls put together an eight-point run in the first half, and a seven-point run in the second half as they tried to chip away at their deficit, but each time the Tigers answered with a run of their own, including a nine-point run early in the second half.

Russel Tchewa recorded his third straight double-double with 13 points and 12 rebounds. Selton Miguel added 18 points for the Bulls.

Notable

• Harris finished the game with four three-pointers for a total of 267 in his four-year career in the American (Memphis/USF); he has a grand total of 306 triples in his career (39 at Iowa State).
  • Harris needs 15 more three-pointers to set a new USF single-season record (88 – Derrick Sharp, 1991-92).
  • Harris has registered eight 20-point games this season (16 career).
  • Tchewa has posted a double-double in six of his last 12 games (nine career).

Up Next

The Bulls begin a two-game road trip at Cincinnati on Saturday, February 11 at 7 p.m. Following that, USF travels to Tulsa on Wednesday, February 15.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  10

On 2/8/2023 at 8:40 PM, Friscobull said:

Unfortunate end to the half, maybe we get them next year or probably not.  Simply out manned, hell I remember being in SA at the Alamodome for the NCAA championship game 2008 when they were up 8 against Kansas  with 2 minutes left and choked.  They are who they are and we are as well.  I guess I want CBG to go, but does it really matter? Don’t know. 

If we really want to become relevant in basketball, then of course it matters a whole lot

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Days Won:  6

18 hours ago, GoBulls84 said:

Being a Negative Nelly has always been smazza's schtick

Smazza was a pretty positive guy back in the day posting pictures at games and supporting USF with the green.  Losing and distance has soured many on this board, most of whom don't even post any more.  We need to figure out how to get them back in the fold and I don't think it's just winning football games, but I've got nothin'.

GO BULLS!