A look at our Football team for 2023 (New additions, Transfers, Starting Line-ups & Depth)

Gatorbull325

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

19 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Some turnover is to be expected, but very few cases where you lose the amount of good players we did.  For example, FAU didn't have this type of turnover when Herman came in.

They just got a huge commit from Casy Thompson, starting Nebraska QB last year.

For basketball we had some decent players left, but besides Miguel they are all gone and have been replaced with  mostly Asun and juco talent. We haven't bee able to pick up one player in basketball from a Power team.

I feel the roster for both football and basketball is worse today then it was last season.

The hope is that the coaching will be better so that we will see some improvement.

we were 1-11 last year. clearly those players no matter how good you think they are didn't help us win.

Thompson is on his 3rd school (has 1 year of eligibility  left), lost the starting job at a terrible nebraska, and was originally recruited to texas by herman.

he is a band aid at best. not sure that's an impressive get and definitely not a long term solution.

Personally I'm happy to see the new hoops coach get a local kid(Knox). something gregory never bothered to do. Some of our best players in history were overlooked  local kids. hopefully he continues to mine that talent.

I'm not sure how you know the rosters are worse off until we see them actually play.

BTW Golesh took a VaTech castoff third string QB and turned him into a heisman finalist

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,290
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

we were 1-11 last year. clearly those players no matter how good you think they are didn't help us win.

Thompson is on his 3rd school (has 1 year of eligibility  left), lost the starting job at a terrible nebraska, and was originally recruited to texas by herman.

he is a band aid at best. not sure that's an impressive get and definitely not a long term solution.

Personally I'm happy to see the new hoops coach get a local kid(Knox). something gregory never bothered to do. Some of our best players in history were overlooked  local kids. hopefully he continues to mine that talent.

I'm not sure how you know the rosters are worse off until we see them actually play.

Someone who had 2400 yards 17 TD 10 int. in the Big 10 at a bad Nebraska team is an impressive get in my opinion. Don't know of any transfer portal player that is coming in for us that can put forth these type of stats. FAU should not be out recruiting us.

When it comes to our roster looking worse off I am just basing that on looking at the talent we lost ( Battie, Horn, Weaver, Tchewa, Conwell). and comparing to what came in. But you are absolutely right on that its hard to know until they play. Guess we will find out soon enough.  We will playing FAU so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

4 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Someone who had 2400 yards 17 TD 10 int. in the Big 10 at a bad Nebraska team is an impressive get in my opinion. Don't know of any transfer portal player that is coming in for us that can put forth these type of stats. FAU should not be out recruiting us.

When it comes to our roster looking worse off I am just basing that on looking at the talent we lost ( Battie, Horn, Weaver, Tchewa, Conwell). and comparing to what came in. But you are absolutely right on that its hard to know until they play. Guess we will find out soon enough.  We will playing FAU so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

sorry those stats aren't impressive at all. certainly not for a guy you're going to have for one year. there is a reason the new coach doesn't want him.

No other position is as important as QB so of course it will look better to get one. Perhaps Golesh believes he doesn't need one though. especially one that is only good for one year.

BTW our players that leave for bigger schools will always seem better than the ones that come in from other schools. Our players actually played and put up numbers. the ones coming in didn't.

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

sorry those stats aren't impressive at all. certainly not for a guy you're going to have for one year. there is a reason the new coach doesn't want him.

No other position is as important as QB so of course it will look better to get one. Perhaps Golesh believes he doesn't need one though. especially one that is only good for one year.

BTW our players that leave for bigger schools will always seem better than the ones that come in from other schools. Our players actually played and put up numbers. the ones coming in didn't.

I am not talking just QB since we already have 2 good ones, but it would have been nice to have gotten a few players at key positions that were similar to the Nebraska player or Bohanon and have proven themselves at the highest level. The closest we came this year is the Florida RB, and the Minnesota WR, but the overwhelming majority have been 2nd, 3rd stringers some with no to verry little playing time.

I would take Battie any day over the Florida RB, or Horn over the Minnesota WR, since they have proven that they can put up big numbers at USF.

I hope you end up being right and that the talent is better then it looks and we will find out soon. We need a quick turn around in both football and basketball. I think the games against FAU  will be key over the next two seasons.

• Topic Count:  124
  • Content Count:  6,802
  • Days Won:  28

31 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

How is FAU out-recruiting us at QB? Have you seen our incoming freshman QB? I love BB, but this guy is a beast and will push BB. He is a former p5 Arizona commit. Trust me, we are GREAT at QB this year.  We still have an ex-Baylor starter as our 2nd string QB who put up similar if not better numbers. 

c851c016_720.jpg?v=EF7FD1994AD2DA08

Full Season Highlight Tape !!!

https://twitter.com/Isr8ael/status/1618399402296741893?s=20

12 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

How is FAU out-recruiting us at QB? Have you seen our incoming freshman QB? I love BB, but this guy is a beast and will push BB. He is a former p5 Arizona commit. Trust me, we are GREAT at QB this year.  We still have an ex-Baylor starter as our 2nd string QB who put up similar if not better numbers. 

I am talking overall recruiting (not just QB) which doesn't only consist of HS recruits and transfer portal recruits, but also how successful a coach was at retaining his best players year to year. In my opinion so far this year FAU has out recruited us. Which should never happen.

Do agree on Carter. he was a great get for us. Would have loved to have seen similar recruits on positions of need, especially on the defensive side.

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,486
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

QB is def a position of strength this year. Izzy is supposed to be electric, so we'll see how it goes with him.

Izzy or BB might be gone next year depending on how things play out.

Edited by USFBULL_08

50 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I am not talking just QB since we already have 2 good ones, but it would have been nice to have gotten a few players at key positions that were similar to the Nebraska player or Bohanon and have proven themselves at the highest level. The closest we came this year is the Florida RB, and the Minnesota WR, but the overwhelming majority have been 2nd, 3rd stringers some with no to verry little playing time.

I would take Battie any day over the Florida RB, or Horn over the Minnesota WR, since they have proven that they can put up big numbers at USF.

I hope you end up being right and that the talent is better then it looks and we will find out soon. We need a quick turn around in both football and basketball. I think the games against FAU  will be key over the next two seasons.

l it seems like we are losing more than we are gaining because they put up good numbers here and they are moving up. The ones coming in didn't have the same opportunities at a higher level. The UF RB had offers from LSU, Alabama, etc out of high school. The baylor WR had offers from A&M, TCU, etc.

Battie will be a 3rd string/change of pace/ kick returner at Aurburn. If a player like that transferred here you would not be impressed by the numbers he put up while at Auburn.

Fact is we will always have to replace quality players. we have always been able to get quality RB and WRs.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  3,501
  • Days Won:  5

37 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

l it seems like we are losing more than we are gaining because they put up good numbers here and they are moving up. The ones coming in didn't have the same opportunities at a higher level. The UF RB had offers from LSU, Alabama, etc out of high school. The baylor WR had offers from A&M, TCU, etc.

Battie will be a 3rd string/change of pace/ kick returner at Aurburn. If a player like that transferred here you would not be impressed by the numbers he put up while at Auburn.

Fact is we will always have to replace quality players. we have always been able to get quality RB and WRs.

Dude I live here now and they are high on Battie. Not sure where third string comes from.

6 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Dude I live here now and they are high on Battie. Not sure where third string comes from.

ask them what they think of Hunter and Alston. Our lads has him at 3rd string. many forget he was 3rd string here before injuries.

USATSI_19322320.jpg?w=640

The sophomore RB is working hard to earn valuable carries this season.
e71fe86f-b9fb-4c3f-8af4-f434835b03fb-202

After Auburn football's Hugh Freeze said Jarquez Hunter is be the best RB he has ever coached, Cadillac Williams explained why he's "fired up," too.