He wasn't kidding (re: recruiting)

hm101

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

3 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Which six players from DLine are you referring too?

Cheney from Minnesota started and was our best DT last year. Bags from Temple got much playing time. Pinder from UNC never made it to school, neither did Ash from Wake Forest.. so from my records , two came in and they both produced.

We are there again because only two are in team from last year.

They produced?  All I have heard all season is how horrible the DLine was this year.  That doesn't sound like good production to me.  We were consistently destroyed by any semblance of a running game.  I was speaking of DLine.  But you are correct.  We got four DTs, two of them were unable to play and two played poorly.  Thanks for confirmng my point.

And yet again. I am not saying not to go to the portal.  Someone said "this player was rectuited to a big school. If we get that player from the portal, all our problems are solved."

We got four last years and none of our problems were solved.  That is my point.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

Yes, I agree. Its hard to predict which players will produce. The problem right now is that we are an AAC team that just won 4 games in three years, so 4-5 star high school recruits, or players that started and produced in FBS last year are not jumping to come to USF right now, with a few exceptions. The hope is that coach Golesh is able to find the right type of players who might not have the resume, and who might have flown under the radar, but can be coached up or developed to help USF get wins next year. If we start winning recruiting will pick up. Also better coaching will help, and you might see players develop that nobody expects; even players that didn't contribute last year.

Also there is time  left until I believe after Spring training to bring players in through the transfer portal ( remember Bohanon last year I believe). Hopefully he will be able to bring in more players to shore up defensive needs.

I am not saying we should not hit the portal.  I am merely saying the portal is not a be all, end all.  As evidenced by the fact that we pillaged the portal last year and won 2 games.

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

57 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

They produced?  All I have heard all season is how horrible the DLine was this year.  That doesn't sound like good production to me.  We were consistently destroyed by any semblance of a running game.  I was speaking of DLine.  But you are correct.  We got four DTs, two of them were unable to play and two played poorly.  Thanks for confirmng my point.

And yet again. I am not saying not to go to the portal.  Someone said "this player was rectuited to a big school. If we get that player from the portal, all our problems are solved."

We got four last years and none of our problems were solved.  That is my point.

And my point that even though we were bad. They were not playing at their previous school, yet they came here and beat who we had.

56 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

I am not saying we should not hit the portal.  I am merely saying the portal is not a be all, end all.  As evidenced by the fact that we pillaged the portal last year and won 2 games.

And I’m not saying hit the portal solves all our issues. But unfortunately if we need DTs to start right now, you are more likely to find them in portal than from HS. Any HS kid we get at that position is probably not big enough to start as a freshman 

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Cheney was very solid before he got hurt…..didnt start getting real playing time til 4-5 games into season(thats on the coach)

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

I saw a twitter photo of Pinder working out in weight room with current players, getting him would be pretty big

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, dausfbulls11 said:

I saw a twitter photo of Pinder working out in weight room with current players, getting him would be pretty big

That was on off campus gym

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,672
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, dausfbulls11 said:

Maybe if he was in a classroom it would help.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

And my point that even though we were bad. They were not playing at their previous school, yet they came here and beat who we had.

The D line was not anywhere near good  but most of the problem was Linebacker play, they never filled the hole.  I would love to find a stat to see what was the average yards after line of scrimmage our linebackers made the tackle

2 hours ago, goingbackbull said:

The D line was not anywhere near good  but most of the problem was Linebacker play, they never filled the hole.  I would love to find a stat to see what was the average yards after line of scrimmage our linebackers made the tackle

If your DLine is getting manhandled one on one as ours was, then it allows blockers to get to Linebackers and block them. We couldn’t put pressure on passer and we couldn’t stop the run. Our main issue was DLine and that affects the rest of defense. At the end we had to move Hanford at 250 to play DT. 

if our DLine improves, you will see improved LB and DB stats

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1