Fire Michael Kelly

NovaBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,285
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Yes

I think I am there as well. To me it has become apparent that regardless whether this hire works out or not Kelly is unable to go out there and execute on hiring the coach he wants. This was at best his third option, but probably worse.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,745
  • Days Won:  30

4 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

If USF wants to pay me millions, Ill take it. Cant blame the guy for signing the contract and extensions given to him by the administration.

Hell Cjs and Cbg coaches probably thought they were on punked when offered extensions. Deep down They both know they didn't not deserve any extra money or  years at their job based on their  lack of success on the field.

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:49 AM, hm101 said:

He is good at the "VP" part of his title. The "Athletics" part I don't see much good on his resume here.

To me the extensions were strikes 1 and 2. I am willing to give him this football season before considering axing the financial support. Unfortunately, and this is just for me personally, we are at the point now where winning on the fields and courts of USF is really the only thing that matters. I will always be a fan but the donor part is hardly a given. 

I really don't care about the extensions anymore since both coaches are gone. But for me strike one was Coach Scotts failure. Strike 2 has been the coach search mess and his inability to convince top tier coaches to come to USF ( and I am sure he at least tried). Strike 3 for me would be if that one year from now our basketball and football programs are not improved, or in year 2 we have not turned the corner.

I expect a bowl game year 2 for football, and NIT year 2 for basketball. If we still haven't found success 2 years from now I will be in the fire Kelly camp.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I really don't care about the extensions anymore since both coaches are gone. But for me strike one was Coach Scotts failure. Strike 2 has been the coach search mess and his inability to convince top tier coaches to come to USF ( and I am sure he at least tried). Strike 3 for me would be if that one year from now our basketball and football programs are not improved, or in year 2 we have not turned the corner.

I expect a bowl game year 2 for football, and NIT year 2 for basketball. If we still haven't found success 2 years from now I will be in the fire Kelly camp.

The problem is we paid them more money in extra years.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,616
  • Days Won:  255

21 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I'll start clearing the space for your tent 

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

The problem is we paid them more money in extra years.

Yes, but as long as Kelly is successful raising money, and that the extensions don't mean less money for other projects (OCS), or hamper us from paying decent money for our coaches, or future coaches its not a problem for me. Perhaps its not good business practice, but as long as he is successful raising money from donors the two kind of offset.

6 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Yes, but as long as Kelly is successful raising money, and that the extensions don't mean less money for other projects (OCS), or hamper us from paying decent money for our coaches, or future coaches its not a problem for me. Perhaps its not good business practice, but as long as he is successful raising money from donors the two kind of offset.

Well we have won one fbs game in three years in football and have sucked in basketball for just as long. I am not sure where this extra money is going to come from if we don't prioritize winning as objective one. At some point we need a clear plan and goal set out for each coach besides changing the culture.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,956
  • Days Won:  436

50 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I'll go out on a limb and say, up to this point, the people that really matter, organizationally and donor base wise, are okay with what he's done. You'd think there will come a time, though, when the on the field results in the major sports would come into play if things don't turn around ..... hopefully we don't have to find out.

25 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'll go out on a limb and say, up to this point, the people that really matter, organizationally and donor base wise, are okay with what he's done. You'd think there will come a time, though, when the on the field results in the major sports would come into play if things don't turn around ..... hopefully we don't have to find out.

Are you actually happy with with being a bottom feeder in college football when realignment is happening? Are you okay with a precedent being set that extending a coach with one fbs win in two seasons is the requirement for an extension for stability? Are you happy that we have fired two of the losing coaches AD MK extended so we are paying them even more money to not coach now? At what point is USF Athletics going to prioritize winning ?

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,345
  • Days Won:  490

💤