Deion Sanders

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

6 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Did Colorado raise their initial offer, or did they outbid USF with the first one?

They've probably been negotiating.  But at the end of the day I doubt that we are missing out on anyone other than DS anyway.   Whoever we hire tomorrow (if it isn't DS) is probably the same or similar to whoever we could have or would have hired on Monday or Tuesday

Edited by olafberserker

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  491

5 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

But wouldn't anyone beside DS fall into that category ultimately.  The only reason DS might not fall into that is because of his persona and what he's going to bring to the table in terms of exposure and credibility.  But even that isn't a guarantee to get us to where we want to go

I know you want Leavitt and I would like that too, but there's not guarantee that is going to work out either

I appreciate your level-headed dialogue.  Especially in my angered state.

Guarantees are one thing, likelihoods are another.  When it comes to guarantees, all candidates are the same.  There are no guarantees.

Likelihood, or confidence, drives the decision, or should drive the decision.  Leavitt has been there and done that.  That's why I had him #1, Herman #2.  

I'm afraid we'll see another "safe play" designed to extend hope for another few years, with no real commitment to winning IMMEDIATELY.  Mr. Kelly needs to feel he is walking the plank and this 100% must be a great hire.  It can't produce in three years!  With that, I'd be real afraid of what the pool looks like right now.

6 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Whoever we hire tomorrow (if it isn't DS) is probably the same or similar to whoever we could have or would have hired on Monday or Tuesday

Which means second or third tier generic coach.

1 minute ago, Brad said:

(if it isn't DS)

I do think this is still a possibility that he's just dragging us around the block again.  He's making sure his followers know he's in charge.  Who knows.  

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

1 minute ago, Brad said:

I appreciate your level-headed dialogue.  Especially in my angered state.

Guarantees are one thing, likelihoods are another.  When it comes to guarantees, all candidates are the same.  There are no guarantees.

Likelihood, or confidence, drives the decision, or should drive the decision.  Leavitt has been there and done that.  That's why I had him #1, Herman #2.  

I'm afraid we'll see another "safe play" designed to extend hope for another few years, with no real commitment to winning IMMEDIATELY.  Mr. Kelly needs to feel he is walking the plank and this 100% must be a great hire.  It can't produce in three years!  With that, I'd be real afraid of what the pool looks like right now.

Which means second or third tier generic coach.

2 things ..... Leavitt did "it" a long time ago.  I think it is ambitious to put him above anyone else in terms of likelihood although I do agree he's probably #2 (I'll even give you 1a) in terms of exciting the fan base immediately.

Second, how many Tier 1 guys are there?  Deion, Rhule, I don't think Leavitt really is, but even if we say he is we know there are other variable to go along with the fact he has never been an HC again since leaving here.  You mention Hermann and I like him too, but he went straight to FAU.  No real mention anywhere else and there are still better jobs available.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,761
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

I do think this is still a possibility that he's just dragging us around the block again.  He's making sure his followers know he's in charge.  Who knows.  

That flight tracker from Jackson to Boulder kind of sealed it for me, but I suppose private flights can be scheduled "just in case" and then cancelled. Would be freaking hilarious if that happened and Deion pulls the double switcheroo and comes to USF. 🤣🤘

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

Would be freaking hilarious if that happened and Deion pulls the double switcheroo and comes to USF. 🤣

Would be even cooler if Kelly withdrew the offer and said he can't afford to have a juvenile in charge of the program.

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

Interesting from a story on DS to Col:

The job was believed to be down to either Sanders or Tom Herman, and Herman earlier this week accepted the Florida Atlantic University job. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/deion-sanders-colorado-willie-simmons-charles-kelly

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,815
  • Days Won:  7

Just a little interesting info on the previously mentioned scheduled private flight. It's likely just a matter of adding more scheduled flights to the itinerary to get the flight schedule to work out. However..

As you can see on the past flights, the plane has to arrive somewhere before departing in order for the next flight to take off. The pattern is shown when looking at the previous flights for Deion's potential plane.

The plane is scheduled to leave Dallas tonight at 7:36 pm CST and fly SOUTH to near the Mexico border at Valley Int'l Airport (HRL), arriving at 8:54 pm CST. Presently, it isn't scheduled to depart Valley until tomorrow (Sunday) at 1:36 pm and then head to Sugar Land Regional Airport later that afternoon. So how is this plane going to be in Jackson after his game tonight?

As of now, there is no flight leaving Valley Int'l after 8:54 pm CST to go to Jackson, MS in order to depart at 10:06 pm CST and arrive in Boulder by 11:42 pm MST.

For this flight plan to be correct, the plane will almost immediately need to depart Valley Int'l after landing at 8:54 pm CST to get to Jackson, MS by the scheduled arrival of 10:06 pm CST. (not currently a scheduled flight).

Additionally, a flight needs to be added to take the plane from Boulder after 12:42 am CST Sunday back to Valley Int'l by 1:36 pm CST Sunday to have the plane in place for that departure to Sugar Land Regional.

TLDR; A private jet is scheduled from Jackson to Boulder tonight (presumably to take Deion), but the plane has no scheduled flight to arrive in Jackson and is currently scheduled to be located at Valley Int'l Airport near the TX/Mexico border for the duration of Deion's presumed flight.

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.32.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.37.29 PM.png

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,761
  • Days Won:  0

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

From the Football Scoop story: "Sanders highly regards and remains in close contact with Willie Simmons, the current Florida A&M head coach who also previously served as head coach at Prairie View A&M and prior to that as Alcorn State’s offensive coordinator. Sources told FootballScoop Sanders is very interested in adding Simmons to his offensive staff."

What if (big if) WS was USF's backup pick if DS didn't work out, and DS was equally good with taking the CU or USF job. It is conceivable that DS decided to go with the CU job to (a) make more money and (b) clear the way for his buddy WS to get the USF head coaching job (that is if WS doesn't want to be on DS's staff as a non-head coach).

Just a fun theory to ponder now that we are all assuming DS isn't coming to USF. 🤔