USF players and the Transfer Portal

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  124
  • Content Count:  6,802
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

You’re a hoot. I’m perfectly fine with more “benefits” outside of a free education, housing, food, clothing, but turning college athletes into free agents annually is not good for college football. At some point there will be blowback from what is happening now. Count on it.

Free what? Cut the "free" crap. They dedicate 40hrs weekly to the program even when school is not in session. Its a mutual benefit. Except now the players can get a bigger piece of the pie. Dont be the grumpy old man. Just enjoy the game my friend. Let the millionaires who run CFB figure it out.

Edited by Gatorbull325

1 hour ago, olafberserker said:

And sorry that people discussing it on a message board causes your under garments to bunch up

C'mon buddy you gotta come harder than that or make the comment semi-funny. I wont respond 2 anymore corny jokes.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

Just now, Gatorbull325 said:

C'mon buddy you gotta come harder than that or make the comment semi-funny. I wont respond 2 anymore corny jokes.

No joke

7 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

No joke

GIF by Towkio

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,238
  • Days Won:  68

9 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Free what? Cut the "free" crap. They dedicate 40hrs weekly to the program even when school is not in session. Its a mutual benefit. Except now the players can get a bigger piece of the pie. 

I think we both can agree that it is beneficial for the players and will negatively affect the popularity of the sport as this continues to evolve.  I don’t like it but we can always get our entertainment elsewhere.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,616
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

You’re a hoot. I’m perfectly fine with more “benefits” outside of a free education, housing, food, clothing, but turning college athletes into free agents annually is not good for college football. At some point there will be blowback from what is happening now. Count on it.

The issue i see with this view of it is that the “contracts” have always been year to year in the other direction and this only balancing the outs clauses, the other issue is that coaching contracts are reversed in their outs imbalance. Coaches are free to change every year for pennies on the dollar and can cut a kid from one season to the next to make room, so why should the lowest men on the totem pole be the only ones expected to remain loyal to people that have offered them no reciprocal loyalty?

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

GIF by Towkio

strawman

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,616
  • Days Won:  255

49 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think the portal can be used to fill  some holes on the team and bring in talent better than your current starters or back up, but what is one team's problem could also be the new team's problem as well. You still need established talent and systems to be in place for transfers to improve your team. It seems a lot of the transfers at USF have not worked out recently...

I think there are plenty of quality players that can come from the portal I just doubt that the people coming in have any worse extenuating circumstances than the people exiting. 

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Free what? Cut the "free" crap. They dedicate 40hrs weekly to the program even when school is not in session. Its a mutual benefit. Except now the players can get a bigger piece of the pie. Dont be the grumpy old man. Just enjoy the game my friend. Let the millionaires who run CFB figure it out.

When I was playing, I can remember multiple times us pitchers would be stuck shagging live BP at practice, 1+ hours per day... infielders would be doing drills, outfielders doing their thing, rotating out for cage work, tees, etc. and we'd be out there running around. In a 3 hour practice, but when I say 3 hours, keep in mind you only get a certain amount of practice hours a week. So, the 3 on the field counted, your weight room and conditioning/running was "volunteer" time. I'd warm up (volunteer time since no coaches were on the field), then we'd do drills, throw a bullpen, whatever, then shag for the rest of the time. You're putting in crazy hours. Football is the same. You get official hours, then "volunteer" hours, whatever. We'd be shagging and guys would say, "want to calculate what our per hour rate is for this?" It was minimum wage, to make a long story short. But, with baseball, you get 11.8 scholarships for 25+ guys on the roster. At least with football, everybody is on scholarship. A lot of the guys I was shagging fly balls with were 30%-50% scholarship. Playing college sports is a job. And no one gives a **** if it eats into your student or life time. 

40 hours a week at minimum wage in Florida is about $1600 a month. Times 12 months is the cost of a year or so at USF. Maybe a little more than minimum wage. Athletes more than pay off their tuition in hours. 

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,149
  • Days Won:  109

6 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Really, what's the difference at this point? Would you like to keep him, and Weaver, and Grier, and Dustyn Hall and the few other guys who have performed with competence? Sure. But it's Coach Go's program now. He needs have guys who want to play for him and in his system.

Coach spoke briefly tonight and mentioned that with the portal he will just wish the guys that leave well.  Talked privately for a bit, mostly about an OCS, and said he's focused on the portal now.

• Upvote 1