Jim Leavitt

Orlando Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,580
  • Days Won:  1

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

If you are asking who I would hire, I think it is pretty clear.  It would be Leavitt, and it would be much like others that have thought it through realize in terms of how that could play out over the next 3-5 years and how much it could benefit this struggling program.   There is too much positive, energy, excitement to even consider a blase Tom Herman or some other unconnected dude.  If nothing else, we've proven hiring coaches is a crapshoot (at least for us).  Why roll the dice?  Go with what you know.  They'll be detractors, as there are in anything, but no one can rev up this region, this state like Leavitt could.  It's too simple.

My thoughts exactly.  I don't think it will happen as it's not politically the "safest" choice, though as you've argued above, it would probably be the safest choice from the standpoint of a known commodity, one that you know will give 110% and has a true, vested interest in seeing the program rebuilt and set up for success in the future.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,745
  • Days Won:  30

56 minutes ago, Brad said:

The one after Leavitt?

Well we had three and they all failed. So who is your ideal pick for the next coach or some names you would like to see?

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,745
  • Days Won:  30

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

If you are asking who I would hire, I think it is pretty clear.  It would be Leavitt, and it would be much like others that have thought it through realize in terms of how that could play out over the next 3-5 years and how much it could benefit this struggling program.   There is too much positive, energy, excitement to even consider a blase Tom Herman or some other unconnected dude.  If nothing else, we've proven hiring coaches is a crapshoot (at least for us).  Why roll the dice?  Go with what you know.  They'll be detractors, as there are in anything, but no one can rev up this region, this state like Leavitt could.  It's too simple.

Post of year

• Topic Count:  374
  • Content Count:  4,319
  • Days Won:  56

6 minutes ago, BullsWinBucsWin said:

My thoughts exactly.  I don't think it will happen as it's not politically the "safest" choice, though as you've argued above, it would probably be the safest choice from the standpoint of a known commodity, one that you know will give 110% and has a true, vested interest in seeing the program rebuilt and set up for success in the future.

It's not gonna happen with Jim, but the argument is sound. I haven't seen a name yet (other than Deion) that gives me any confidence that a turnaround would be near guaranteed - not Frost, Herman, Allen, Simmons, etc. Michael Kelly has his work cut out . . . again. There are only two names that ignite the fan base at this point - Leavitt and Sanders. Any other hire brings equal parts optimism and skepticism.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

I thought Frank Gore was a boxer? Where is he coaching?

McKenzie is barely established as a coach. He went from Inside Linebackers coach at Detroit under matt Patricia to Outside Linebackers coach at Miami after being fired at detroit.

Larry Scott runs the 58th ranked offense in fcs.

not sure why people think if we just get former players here as a coach then that automatically means we will be successful.

take the fact away that they played here and people would be up in arms if we hired a boxer, an outside linebackers coach at miami for dc and the HC from the 58th ranked offense in the fcs as an oc.

McKenzie has been coaching at various levels since 2013, basically his entire adult non-playing life. He coached in college or NFL starting in 2015. Leavitt is a DC at heart, I know as a HC he would have other duties, but, it's not like McKenzie would be completely on an island with a defense, he has a guy that is pretty good at it to draw from. I also suspect that the pay would be slightly more than NFL position coach, but not so if we were to try and hire him as a position coach.

A "boxer" who is one of the greatest to ever play the game. Can Gore coach? Who knows, would his name help in recruiting? ABSOLUTELY. Also, why do you think he's a boxer? I would guess that it's the same reason he played so long... the guy cannot stop competing. He doesn't have an off switch, which generally equates to ridiculous passion and pursuit of perfection. Sounds like a guy that could make a great coach to me.

Quite honestly, I disagree that anyone would be up in arms over Leavitt as HC with Gore as RB coach... I think people would feel pretty good about that.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,705
  • Days Won:  53

Just now, Dave_Glaser said:

I haven't seen a name yet (other than Deion)

I am on team Leavitt.  Deion would also be great.  I don't really care about most of the ones people mentioning because it's always a coin flip.  I wouldn't mind a rehab stop for Urban Meyer instead of Gruden.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  116
  • Days Won:  0

I have a feeling it’ll be Simmons which would be embarrassing plus the guy has his own baggage, like it or not. I’ll go on record now saying it’ll be a disaster of a hire if they go that route. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

Can USF recruit the oline to run it?

absolutely. easier to recruit to USF.

Smaller more athletic linemen.

it's why smaller programs went to the spread in the first place. couldn't compete with the big programs for top o-line talent.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,345
  • Days Won:  490

5 minutes ago, StPeteBull91 said:

I have a feeling it’ll be Simmons which would be embarrassing plus the guy has his own baggage, like it or not. I’ll go on record now saying it’ll be a disaster of a hire if they go that route. 

Not a chance.

His event - police filed charges

Leavitt's event - police were ignored

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

15 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

McKenzie has been coaching at various levels since 2013, basically his entire adult non-playing life. He coached in college or NFL starting in 2015. Leavitt is a DC at heart, I know as a HC he would have other duties, but, it's not like McKenzie would be completely on an island with a defense, he has a guy that is pretty good at it to draw from. I also suspect that the pay would be slightly more than NFL position coach, but not so if we were to try and hire him as a position coach.

A "boxer" who is one of the greatest to ever play the game. Can Gore coach? Who knows, would his name help in recruiting? ABSOLUTELY. Also, why do you think he's a boxer? I would guess that it's the same reason he played so long... the guy cannot stop competing. He doesn't have an off switch, which generally equates to ridiculous passion and pursuit of perfection. Sounds like a guy that could make a great coach to me.

Quite honestly, I disagree that anyone would be up in arms over Leavitt as HC with Gore as RB coach... I think people would feel pretty good about that.

again take usf out of any of those associations and nobody likes any of them