Jim Leavitt

Orlando Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,493
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I think it's option 2 here. I believe that he and Cristobal were the finalists at Oregon, but they went with Mario. I suspect anyone who were to hire him in this day of cancel culture just sees it as being too much of a hassle. USF is the place that can set that right. 

I believe that he absolutely wants another shot at being a HC, or at least did. Maybe at his age, if southwest south Dakota technical college called, he may turn it down, but I don't think he would turn USF down. 

If we're doing metaphors, we are all drug addicts, Leavitt is that friend who can help, who has tried to help, who can get us clean again, but we have shut him out, if we let him in, if we let him help us, we could beat this affliction and get our lives together. 

Seems, at least from people on Twitter, that on multiple occasions, an olive branch was extended by the University to CJL but not reciprocated. They seem to be people that have some sort of inside info.

So maybe he doesn't want anything to do with it now...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

19 minutes ago, BiggTipp said:

Seems, at least from people on Twitter, that on multiple occasions, an olive branch was extended by the University to CJL but not reciprocated. They seem to be people that have some sort of inside info.

Had a friend that ran into him at an airport years ago and he felt that way then ..... but time can change things.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,304
  • Days Won:  490

19 minutes ago, BiggTipp said:

When would these people be saying that happened?  And was it an olive branch to be used for something other than coaching?

I know there was no olive branch extended last go round.  Leavitt hoped for a call.  Nothing at all.  I'm not trying to sound like an insider or someone with sources so that more people will follow me.  I'm telling you the facts.  If they reached out between Scott's firing and today, they might have gotten hold of him at the Bucs game.  :) 

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

18 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Someone has to do it. While I know there will be naysayers out there, this is the right hire. Forget about wins and losses, seems to not have been at the forefront for quite a while now, Leavitt is still the heartbeat of this program. He is the guy that built it. Just because a child emancipates from their parents doesn't mean the parent stops loving them.

Pros

- Still has ties to the bay area

- Fans and boosters alike would rejoice

- The guy can spot talent, coach with passion, and get the most out of his players.

- How many defensive minded coaches are out there? How many guys in the transfer portal would love to come play for a guy that actually knows defense instead of trying to win every game 52-48.

Cons

- Who cares... I'll give you a hint... outside of this board, maybe 19 other people on earth care about this program. Leavitt can change that.

If I am VPMK, I am doing some back door deal with CJL, 2 years, come back, help raise money for the stadium, then... if you're not successful (bowl in year 2), retire and get a huge ceremony when the stadium opens. Those of us who have been around a while have lived through some hot garbage, I would be thrilled to watch a CJL coached team come out and get 2 wins per year. I could feel some sense of pride in that.

He's not too old, he wouldn't turn it down, don't make excuses, make the call. 

never happen

18 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I'm sorry, do you not think that the people on this board can handle some "disappointment"... it's all we have known for years, we can handle it. But in all honesty, it shouldn't be a pipe dream. It makes perfect sense. If you want to get some donors and help fund a stadium, that is the play. Most likely it turns out in winning games, but there would be a retirement agreement in my plan with CJL if he can't get it back on track. A retirement plan that lets him go out with dignity and a place on the USF mantle.

Everything else is a crapshoot at best and a Jeff Scott level disaster at worst.

retirement plan?

are you kidding

we need a football coach not thinking of retiring

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, St.PeteSlim89 said:

A week ago, I would have not have agreed to bringing CJL back.  However, given that the program is at an all-time low,  he needs to be brought back in some form. He would energize the fan base, get former fans interested again, and generate publicity.

I like the idea of him being a coach/coach emeritus, with an associate head coach/HC in waiting.  It seemed to work with Bobby Bowden and Jimbo.

Plan B could be to ask CJL to be an ambassador for the program. Spurrier does something similar for UF.  

These are critical times for a program that is at a juncture. Do we move forward and pursue P5 status? Or do we accept G5/FCS life? Time to do something special or different!

Go Bulls

that you put leavitt in the same sentence as spurrier is laughable on so many levels

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,304
  • Days Won:  490

We been smazzaed

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

Just now, Brad said:

We been smazzaed

You knew he'd have some "thoughts" on this ....

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  53

19 minutes ago, Brad said:

I know there was no olive branch extended last go round.  Leavitt hoped for a call.  Nothing at all.

Interesting.  I know probably everyone is being respectful of all involved, but it would be nice if someone said something on the record that the other person could respond to.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Actually, it was a few of the members here that put it on...we did the first one in Charlotte, but the El Paso was crazy great!  I think we had Judy and Dougie stop in.  Had gifts, food, it was awesome.

I hate to name names and leave someoen out, but I remember @BullyPulpit was one of the leads, but there were more.  

Still one of my favorite memories from a USF road trip. The outcome of the game was awful, but the gathering of the Penners was great. Complete happenstance that Doug and Judy happened to be out with some big money donors at the same restaurant as us. I know that Judy always looks surprised, but I could tell that she was genuinely pleased to see all of us and come in and offer her thanks for supporting the program. 

• Upvote 1