Replacements for Jeff Scott

mj796

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,369
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

agree. 4 bowl games in 4 years at texas after the mess charlie left them in.

knowing how to win is a huge plus.

Anyone who can follow Charlie and then win games should get consideration 

• Upvote 4

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

14 minutes ago, BrowardBull17 said:

Absolutely. We need someone that can bring a high powered offense. Herman is that guy.  

I disagree.... USF's last five seasons the problem was the defense... Give me a defensive minded head coach that can hire and delegate the offense to a solid offensive coordinator (or better yet, keep Coach Trickett).

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,460
  • Days Won:  3

High energy, relatively young, AND likes to butthead players with helmets on?? (Sounds familiar).

The main argument against Herman is that he is a bit of an *******, but according to some on here, our most important HC in history also had that going for him. Also, I'm done with the 'family friendly' HC ala Skip and fCJS. That's not who we are or who we should be. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,328
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

High energy, relatively young, AND likes to butthead players with helmets on?? (Sounds familiar).

The main argument against Herman is that he is a bit of an *******, but according to some on here, our most important HC in history also had that going for him. Also, I'm done with the 'family friendly' HC ala Skip and fCJS. That's not who we are or who we should be. 

We definitely need someone rough around the edges. Choir boys need not apply. 

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,731
  • Days Won:  53

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I disagree.... USF's last five seasons the problem was the defense... Give me a defensive minded head coach that can hire and delegate the offense to a solid offensive coordinator (or better yet, keep Coach Trickett).

This is a tough call to me.  I guess ultimately it comes down to the right mix or formula.  We saw a good mix when we had Willie running on all cylinders and Tom Allen / bull sharks.  For some reason after Charlie I am biased by the people who say we need a coach with a fast spread style offensive mind.  Honestly we don't need a great defense to go to a bowl game with the offense we have now.  Just some defense.   Like the occasional stop every now and then.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

yeah someone like Charlie Strong....oh wait

Give me an offensive minded coach like Taggart who is aggressive. If we keep flip flopping from an offensive minded to defensive minded coach we will never have sustained success. look at UCF. They hire offensive minded guys and have plenty of success.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Rocky Style said:

This is a tough call to me.  I guess ultimately it comes down to the right mix or formula.  We saw a good mix when we had Willie running on all cylinders and Tom Allen / bull sharks.  For some reason after Charlie I am biased by the people who say we need a coach with a fast spread style offensive mind.  Honestly we don't need a great defense to go to a bowl game with the offense we have now.  Just some defense.   Like the occasional stop every now and then.

agree. give me a top 25 offense and a middle of the pack defense

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

agree. give me a top 25 offense and a middle of the pack defense

We would really be a good team right now with a middle of the pack defense.  

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,460
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

If we keep flip flopping from an offensive minded to defensive minded coach we will never have sustained success. look at UCF. They hire offensive minded guys and have plenty of success.

+10000

That has been one of our biggest issues as a program. We need to pick one - offense or defense - and focus on it with every HC hire here on out. Might've been a problem with Skip (offense) after Leavitt (defense) and definitely from Taggart (offense) to Strong (defense).

I remember reading Bud Foster was going after the USF job after Leavitt got fired and thinking that would've been an amazing choice as it would've kept the whole 'tough defense first' mentality going. But instead, we keep flip-flopping our identity.

19 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

Anyone who can follow Charlie and then win games should get consideration 

What about the person who follows the person who follows Charlie and it's worse?

Just now, zarnozdabull said:

+10000

That has been one of our biggest issues as a program. We need to pick one - offense or defense - and focus on it with every HC hire here on out. Might've been a problem with Skip (offense) after Leavitt (defense) and definitely from Taggart (offense) to Strong (defense).

I remember reading Bud Foster was going after the USF job after Leavitt got fired and thinking that would've been an amazing choice as it would've kept the whole 'tough defense first' mentality going. But instead, we keep flip-flopping our identity.

I would ride or die offense and climb the mountain for the impossible dream of a middle of the road defense which is apparently unattainable for us.