A CJS Hate-Bot Free Discussion On The Game Itself (Tulane Edition)

Triple B

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Peatearpan tried to start a rational discussion of the game but it got infested early ….. admittedly he did kind of target the haters so it was probably to be expected.

My take is that these last two games are what most of us have been looking for, games where we’re not realistically out of it by halftime (a kind of pathetic target but we are what we are at this point in time). With 5 minutes to go in the third period, it was a tie game. Then, in the blink of an eye (less than 2 minutes), we’re down by 14 and everyone knew at that point we weren’t coming back, especially without GB. Marsh had some nice moments but he’s not Gerry.

Haven’t had a chance to watch replay yet, and not looking to officiating as an excuse, but just some clarification. Later in the game, Tulane had a long completion down the near sideline, sustaining a scoring drive, that sure looked like OPI in real time and also later in game when we’re trying to get anything going from fairly deep in our territory, there was a tackle on Battie that appeared to be a horse collar that would have been a little boost. Were we just imagining things?

And oh yeah, Boyles is a ******* warrior and really feel for him ….

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,416
  • Days Won:  2

Yes a few slivers of optimism..put up 31 on a top 10 or so defense.  Good start by team.

Defense was hitting hard and getting good pressure at tines...despite all injuries. 

I was afraid especially with GB going down the defense would get gassed and they did.

Yes the losses are getting old...hope GB is back and if we don't see multiple wins to close year...well

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

I saw the horse collar.  It was quick, but there.

• Topic Count:  374
  • Content Count:  4,319
  • Days Won:  56

They need to recruit better. That’s the bottom line. Taggart didn’t win because he was a great Xs and Os guy. He won because we put more talent on the field than the other teams. This team, even when healthy, can’t do that. We have 100 WRs on the roster but only two of them are competent. The secondary, outside of Amaris Brown, doesn’t have any talent. They can’t cover or tackle. Have we thrown a football to a TE yet this season? Jason Vaughan had a career game yesterday, but there’s no one on the d-line with any real talent. Recruit better. That’s what’s needed. That’s where this staff should be judged at this point. Skip Holtz and Charlie Strong didn’t recruit either. That’s where programs are built at this level and where our real problem will be - especially with NIL now in play.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  970
  • Days Won:  0

I'm enjoying the closer games a bit more than the blowouts for sure.  I feel like the defense played incredibly well yesterday, just sort of gassed down the stretch. I imagine there's not a ton of depth there especially with all the injuries? 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

They need to recruit better. That’s the bottom line. Taggart didn’t win because he was a great Xs and Os guy. He won because we put more talent on the field than the other teams. This team, even when healthy, can’t do that. We have 100 WRs on the roster but only two of them are competent. The secondary, outside of Amaris Brown, doesn’t have any talent. They can’t cover or tackle. Have we thrown a football to a TE yet this season? Jason Vaughan had a career game yesterday, but there’s no one on the d-line with any real talent. Recruit better. That’s what’s needed. That’s where this staff should be judged at this point. Skip Holtz and Charlie Strong didn’t recruit either. That’s where programs are built at this level and where our real problem will be - especially with NIL now in play.

The TE thing is a bit odd to me.  I could be off by 1 or 2 but I think I've seen 3 total passes to a TE this year? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, beefy620 said:

I'm enjoying the closer games a bit more than the blowouts for sure.  I feel like the defense played incredibly well yesterday, just sort of gassed down the stretch. I imagine there's not a ton of depth there especially with all the injuries? 

I kind of felt the same way, which seems crazy looking at the numbers, but they did come up big at some key early moments.

1 hour ago, beefy620 said:

The TE thing is a bit odd to me.  I could be off by 1 or 2 but I think I've seen 3 total passes to a TE this year? 

Kind of surprisingly, the TE's have 7 receptions, 4 to Gunnar, but that's still not a whole lot. Maybe they're using them more in pass protection, which has contributed to our low sack total, but really don't know.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Peatearpan tried to start a rational discussion of the game but it got infested early ….. admittedly he did kind of target the haters so it was probably to be expected.

My take is that these last two games are what most of us have been looking for, games where we’re not realistically out of it by halftime (a kind of pathetic target but we are what we are at this point in time). With 5 minutes to go in the third period, it was a tie game. Then, in the blink of an eye (less than 2 minutes), we’re down by 14 and everyone knew at that point we weren’t coming back, especially without GB. Marsh had some nice moments but he’s not Gerry.

Haven’t had a chance to watch replay yet, and not looking to officiating as an excuse, but just some clarification. Later in the game, Tulane had a long completion down the near sideline, sustaining a scoring drive, that sure looked like OPI in real time and also later in game when we’re trying to get anything going from fairly deep in our territory, there was a tackle on Battie that appeared to be a horse collar that would have been a little boost. Were we just imagining things?

And oh yeah, Boyles is a ******* warrior and really feel for him ….

If Gerry didn't get hurt, they win that game...count it

I don't have much knowledge of how recruiting is actually done.  Exactly how should CJS recruit better?  What is he not doing enough of?  Or too much of so that we are not recruiting well?

Is it the player's fit for the system we run?

• Topic Count:  177
  • Content Count:  8,729
  • Days Won:  28

2 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

I don't have much knowledge of how recruiting is actually done.  Exactly how should CJS recruit better?  What is he not doing enough of?  Or too much of so that we are not recruiting well?

Is it the player's fit for the system we run?

I didn't want to pursue the hijack I created, so I didn't ask.