Press conference 11:30 LIVE; Video replay added

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  491

Well then it failed with at least one situation. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

6 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Jeff Scott did make excuses.  But were they true excuses or false excuses.  In other words, was what he was saying true.  Let's examine.

He said we have had a lot of injuries - True.  He said 11 potential starters were out.  Not sure it was quite 11 but several key guys were out.

He said we've played a tough schedule - True

He said essentially that if we had played cupcakes that we'd be 3-2.  Possibly true, possibly false.  We don't really know, but we would likely be better than 1-4.  So that one is probably partially true also.  He also said that if we had played an easier schedule, everyone would be saying team was better and had turned corner.  Actually, this is probably true also.  People judge you on wins and losses, even if you're playing nobodies to get wins.  I personally would rather play the tough schedule, but I got his point.

He then listed the number of coaches, AD's, and presidents.  All true.

He made excuses but nothing he said was factually incorrect.  Some times thing just are the way they are, and USF has burned through a lot of coaches and hasn't invested in the program or facilities.  True.

All the excuses in the world won't help if he doesn't win and win fast, but most of what he said was probably true.

I always learned that excuses that were true and impacted performance weren't excuses - they were reasons.  I believe, like you, that there exists both in the quotes I've seen.  However, not many are in the mood for "reasons" right now  :angrymob:

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  177
  • Content Count:  8,729
  • Days Won:  28

I hear what CJS is saying about facilities but what about MBB?  They play in a beautiful state of the art on campus arena that was fully renovated not to long ago.  They train in a new state of the art Muma Center and you know what?  They have sucked balls in perpetuity.  Now WBB play and train in the same center and they have found sustained success.  Maybe just maybe the coach has something to do with the results.  He needs to stop doing pressers.  It’s only making the situation worse.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,764
  • Days Won:  53

13 hours ago, Mango028 said:

Fluffing schedule and being 3-2 isn’t the point. We were getting blown out by ecu.

Yeah there was a whole thread on here about fluffing the schedule more, but I think that would be the absolute loser move of loser moves.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,668
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

I always learned that excuses that were true and impacted performance weren't excuses - they were reasons.  I believe, like you, that there exists both in the quotes I've seen.  However, not many are in the mood for "reasons" right now  :angrymob:

Interesting because I’ve always learned that when coming into a problem situation you need to focus on the things you control and what will have the most impactful changes. You then begin to roll out the changes, measure the results, assess impact of the change and then evaluate the change and how you can improve it. People very rarely have a need for a problem identifier and reasons vs excuses are most typically determined by how much a person wants and feels ownership of a result. If I owe you money but then tell you that I didn’t pay you back because i don’t have the money, I may see that I have a very valid reason because I have zero dollars in my bank account but you may see that as an excuse because you know I spent $2k this month on coke and whores. CJS was aware that he wasn’t coming into Clemson before he got here, that his continuous improvement wheel is measuring the goal of being Clemson is his problem because it should be measuring the goal of winning. Perhaps the problem is the changes shouldn’t only be trying to replicate something and should instead be looking at how to win no matter how that is accomplished, because most of the time your first idea isn’t the one that works and you need to be open to pivoting to whatever would be a working solution. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,166
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

Glad I read on before responding. Was going to say the same thing.

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Interesting because I’ve always learned that when coming into a problem situation you need to focus on the things you control and what will have the most impactful changes. You then begin to roll out the changes, measure the results, assess impact of the change and then evaluate the change and how you can improve it. People very rarely have a need for a problem identifier and reasons vs excuses are most typically determined by how much a person wants and feels ownership of a result. If I owe you money but then tell you that I didn’t pay you back because i don’t have the money, I may see that I have a very valid reason because I have zero dollars in my bank account but you may see that as an excuse because you know I spent $2k this month on coke and whores. CJS was aware that he wasn’t coming into Clemson before he got here, that his continuous improvement wheel is measuring the goal of being Clemson is his problem because it should be measuring the goal of winning. Perhaps the problem is the changes shouldn’t only be trying to replicate something and should instead be looking at how to win no matter how that is accomplished, because most of the time your first idea isn’t the one that works and you need to be open to pivoting to whatever would be a working solution. 

My God. Stop the presses. I agree with you.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,668
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

My God. Stop the presses. I agree with you.

Hold up you got that far into my paragraph? I will need to double nay triple paragraph and sentence lengths from this point forth 

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Hold up you got that far into my paragraph? I will need to double nay triple paragraph and sentence lengths from this point forth 

I was getting close to calling it quits but did make it that far. No guarantee that happens again. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

24 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If I owe you money but then tell you that I didn’t pay you back because i don’t have the money, I may see that I have a very valid reason because I have zero dollars in my bank account but you may see that as an excuse because you know I spent $2k this month on coke and whores.

I believe that's a third category - a lie.