Press conference 11:30 LIVE; Video replay added

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,096
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

He said repeatedly that he knows he is doing the right thing because he is doing what he saw work at Clemson, we are not Clemson and copying the carbon copy of that model is not likely to work out. You need to be agile and pivot and figure out what works in the situation you are actually in and not the idealized place you wish you were in.

Seems like he is trying to place the blame on USF for not being Clemson more than taking responsibility for this abomination. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,096
  • Days Won:  2

48 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It is not healthy for anyone to feel this comfortable while producing at this level. 

Bernie Lomax could produce better results. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  13,812
  • Days Won:  30

I don't  think he knows what to do to fix this and doesn't understand why no one feels sorry for him. He needs more push back at every conference until he wins or resigns. I am fine with either polar opposite. Getting embarrassed and losing the game in the first half and scoring against the b squad is not am accomplishment. . It isn't quitting but it isn't progress. The foundation he is trying to build has taken us lower than CCS. We are underdogs every game because of his coaching and recruiting. Take some responsibility  for your failures.

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  491

19 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I don't  think he knows what to do to fix this

And of course, you don't know what he knows

doesn't understand why no one feels sorry for him

Not sure he'd even care, why would he?  He doesn't seem like a sad sack.  Ahem.

He needs more push back at every conference until he wins or resigns

Ok, I'll get the Sun Belt and PAC-12 on the phone, not sure I've seen either of their pushback yet.

Getting embarrassed

Who are we talking about now?

The foundation he is trying to build has taken us lower than CCS.

Other linear thinkers and non-thinkers may agree with you.

20 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

We are underdogs every game because of his coaching and recruiting.

No kidding, we're better than all those teams.  We were never underdogs against Auburn, WVU or Notre Dame!

21 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Take some responsibility

Lead the way, good man.

• Haha 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

3 hours ago, hm101 said:

That was the most heated CJS press conference to date. 

"What is the truth about this team?"

"Well I've already answered that but allow me to rephrase it for you"

Look he made some valid points particularly about how inconsistent our Athletics vision and personnel have been over the past 12 years. To his credit he was very transparent that he knew and still knows this was not a 2 year turnaround job. We need a solid foundation and he wants to build that - whether he can or will is, in my view left to be determined. If you read between the lines he is saying what VPMK won't- he is here to build a sustainable foundation and his job is not at risk. 

The injuries and OOC SOS are also fair points. 0-5 Colorado had the #1 TOUGHEST SOS in the country. You can't say with a straight face some of any chunk of a season's record has nothing to do with the stretch of teams you play. 11 starters out too is a factor. 

The 2nd good point he made is that we haven't quit. Coming out down 41 to 7 in someone else's stadium at half being 1-4, you might expect to see quitting. But we come out and score on 3 of the next 4 drives and keep them to one score - makes it a little harder to say the team has given up.

With all that being said, the product not improving is just the ultimate arbiter at the end of the day. Results are scant. Coaching mistakes abound. Flat performance plagues our first half. 

My bottom line? Buckle up. This is the bus were on. The best we can hope for is that he is right. That results are the last to come. And that maybe they come if we can find 3+ wins in our last 5 games of the season, as that's where the winnable games are. 

Thanks for probably the most informative post on the thread so far ....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  13,812
  • Days Won:  30

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Not sure he'd even care, why would he?  He doesn't seem like a sad sack.  Ahem.

Ok, I'll get the Sun Belt and PAC-12 on the phone, not sure I've seen either of their pushback yet.

No kidding, we're better than all those teams.  We were never underdogs against Auburn, WVU or Notre Dame!

Lead the way, good man.

@Brad

Complete pitiful results to every player and coach that was here before him. It takes USF further down with every loss. So he can either rise the occasion and do a better or leave,

Every press conference should be nothing but heat and tough questions thrown at him. He is the least successful coach in USF and FBS modern history. There is no progress being made on the field just regression.

Getting embarrassed and put of the game  before halftime  by BYU ( we played them closer last year exposing major regression), Louisville, and now ECU is a complete joke. There is no excuse for getting blown out multiple times by bad teams like Louisville ( coach on the hot seat) and ECU (embarrassed by navy).

Progression is moving forward even at a alarming slowly rate not backwards.  You cannot move forward by going 1 step forward and 10 steps backwards. This is not a non-thinker or linear approach to thinking. This is calling out FAILURE and incompetency from a head coach. We were sold the goods that CCS was so bad any coach would be an upgrade. Charlie's worst year was 4-8 with 3 FBS wins and 1 FCS win. Charlie at his worse outproduced Jeff Scott in 12 games than Jeff Scott in 26 Games or 2.5 Seasons approximately. The defense is worse than when he arrived, the offense is worse than when he arrived, the passing game is worse than he arrived, and the rushing attack is about the same predictable running attack. CJS talks in coach speak and doing things the right way but he is actually not doing things the right way because we are losing by more points and not winning more.

Second going off the Bobby Bowden model for winning  long-term are moving back wards not forwards.

Lead the way, good man.

I am not the coach and am not paid 2.5 million dollars to win games he is. He has 2.5 years here to improve and we are losing by more points not less. There is no reason a team in a huge market such as Tampa  in Florida should be getting demolished by Louisville and ECU. We are in the AAC and if he can coach a competitive team here there is almost no chance he can coach.

So I am going to leave you with my favorite quote from Bobby "I don’t believe in playing without a scoreboard." The scoreboard shows  Jeff Scott is actually making the team worse not better.

Another quote from Bobby that applies to our offensive coach.

" If a dog won’t do what you teach him to do, then teach him to do what he can do."

Why do we keep running the same predictable offense that isn't working? The one game we ran more a spread option offense with motion before every play, more use of misdirection plays, more use of RPO, more read options, and plays that our put our offense in the best position to win we actually looked like a solid team on offense and defense. The defense stepped up because the offense gave them something to believe in and play for. WE should be running plays and schemes that fit our talent not making our talent fit a system that they are not made for.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  0

Press conference was pathetic. Dont want to excuses but it’s all excuses. He said we have 12 years of bad program. That is not true.  Our 10/11 win season were after what building a program looks like. There has been no progress on the field and that is how you are judged. Listening to press conference im just not confident. Fluffing schedule and being 3-2 isn’t the point. We were getting blown out by ecu. The most evenly matched game was against howard. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,166
  • Days Won:  109

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Tailgating will last longer for the foreseeable future. 

Like "until the TSA people throw me out of the parking lot" longer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,166
  • Days Won:  109

4 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Most importantly: I finally figured out that this backdrop is a bit transparent and has a frame behind it with squares.  I always thought it was dirty and no one would clean it for years.

image.png.1d6543829904677fb148a242f4bb393b.png

Like the excused, the fabric has worn thin.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  741
  • Days Won:  4

Sigh.  Listening to coach talk after losses is usually asking for a reason to be upset, because honestly what can be said to make you feel better.....but whatever I did for a bit and yeah it didn't make me happy.

I'm really surprised he really led off with "it's because of our schedule, otherwise we'd be 3-2".  ECU is in our conference.  Louisville used to be in our conference and now they are in a conference we would kill to be in.  They both beat us like we were FCS teams in the first half.  

I also hated hearing that he loves getting the ball to start the second half and wants to continue doing that.  Instead it should be "yeah we gotta change things up bc of our slow starts.  We'll try to get the ball first, we'll try to do x,y,z".  Instead he just said "there's a blueprint in place and we have to execute it better ".  

Idunno I only got so far before I had to turn it off.  There were some valid points like our infrastructure investments will take time to recruit better...but it doesn't matter if the head coach signs off on 6 minute 35 yard drives when down multiple scores.  It doesn't matter if you can't figure out how to make a team look competitive against your conference mates.

• Upvote 3