Something is happening Wednesday!

E.T.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

" When they fired Leavitt they opted to go in a different direction and hire Skip Holtz." -  Holtz was 72-30 with 3 conference championships(2 in CUSA) before USF. 

Exactly, opposite direction ....... sorry, couldn't resist.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,014
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

Think you misses the point. USF could of kept Leavitt’s system alive by making one of his assistants head coach but they basically went too woke any cleaned out the coaching staff. It was a complete overhaul with the coaching staff.

A couple observations:

- I don’t think they were going down the “woke” path as much as they just wanted a clean slate and a fresh start. 
- I for one was not a fan of Leavitt/Gregory offenses, they were very conservative and predictable (which is why I think we struggled against conference foes, they knew what we would typically do). Defense was completely different, Leavitt and Burnham were lights out. 
- As for assistants taking over, no way would I have wanted Gregory taking over and I don’t think Burnham wanted to head coach; so probably wasn’t an option for this staff to take over. 
- Not very often does an assistant coach take over for a dismissed coach and still have success, usually it’s better to find a new head coach and let them start with their staff. 
- I think in the moment and assuming that they wanted a new head coach, hiring Skip was universally praised and everyone nationally thought it was a great hire, just didn’t work out. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  3,659
  • Days Won:  3

We made it to Wednesday and went back in time with with CSH conversation? I feel like I'm in another dimension sometimes.

1 hour ago, michibull said:

- I don’t think they were going down the “woke” path as much as they just wanted a clean slate and a fresh start

.... and most importantly, a coach who, on paper, was a perfect choice from an on the field perspective. He had some nice ooc wins at ECU but then followed them up with conference championships.

1 hour ago, Sk00b said:

We made it to Wednesday and went back in time with with CSH conversation? I feel like I'm in another dimension sometimes.

If you don't feel that way sometimes in here, you're not normal .....

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,743
  • Days Won:  30

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

.... and most importantly, a coach who, on paper, was a perfect choice from an on the field perspective. He had some nice ooc wins at ECU but then followed them up with conference championships.

Skip looked like a great hire and had success at ecu and LA tech after here. He just seems he wasn't the man for the program,  but to be fair no one has been since Leavitt.  We are 0-3  and trending very close ro Conifrming My suspicions of 0-4  on coaching hires since CJL was fired over in-house politics with Judy and others.  TAGS has been pretty terrible ever where since but got rich.  I can't fault him for that.

Edited by Outlaw

Just now, Outlaw said:

Skip looked like a great hire and had success at ecu and LA tech after here. He just seems he wasn't the man for the program,  but to be fair no one has been since Leavitt.  We are 0-3  and trending very close ro Conifrming My suspicions of 0-4  on coaching hires since CJL was fired over in-house politics with Judy and others. 

If you think we were 0-3 on coaches since Leavitt, I have serious doubts about your opinion on coaches ...... which could  bode well for Scott.

Just now, Triple B said:

If you think we were 0-3 on coaches since Leavitt, I have serious doubts about your opinion on coaches ...... which could  bode well for Scott.

Taggart  didn't have a winning record here overall, win a conference championship, or have really any huge wins like Auburn, West Virgina, Notre Dame, Fsu, etc...

• Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

9 hours ago, Triple B said:

And don’t forget Skip beat Clemson in the bowl game basically with Leavitt’s players. Skip didn’t recruit like Leavitt. Leavitt put his heart & soul into the USF program. Skip just didn’t recruit they way that USF young program needed. USF went in another direction by not retaining Leavitt’s coaching staff. That is my point. Not sure why people can’t understand that lol.

Just now, Bull Daly said:

And don’t forget Skip beat Clemson in the bowl game basically with Leavitt’s players. Skip didn’t recruit like Leavitt. Leavitt put his heart & soul into the USF program. Skip just didn’t recruit they way that USF young program needed. USF went in another direction by not retaining Leavitt’s coaching staff. That is my point. Not sure why people can’t understand that lol.

We haven't had any coach outwork Leavitt on the field or off the field yet. Leavitt took rather unknown or low ranked players and built them into college stars and NFL Talent. He had every player buying into his vision and attacking anything that hit the field. The team and fans were all in because of his energy and passion. He built a program from zero and was beating the big dogs of college football rather quick.

• Upvote 1