mazza's scouting report of Gcocks

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

USC reported eight secondary violations to the NCAA the second half of last year, five of which involved the Gamecocks’ football program.

All of the violations involving the football team already have been reported publicly. The school released the NCAA self-reports Friday under the state’s Freedom of Information Act. The violations for the period of June 1 through Dec. 31 2003, included:

• Two additional contacts between former Gov. Jim Hodges and USC football recruits  before a Gamecocks basketball game in 2000 and on the sidelines at Williams-Brice Stadium before the Clemson football game in 2001. As an ex-officio member of USC’s board of trustees, Hodges was prohibited from speaking to recruits. USC previously had reported two other instances in which Hodges spoke to recruits.

• Former kicker Daniel Weaver’s reinstatement following an academic suspension two years ago. Weaver sat out the 2003 opener against Louisiana-Lafayette for an academic matter that he said occurred during the 2002 season.

• Former receiver Chavez Donnings’ participation in two games during the 2001 season before his eligibility was restored following an extra-benefits violation. In the summer of ’01, before Donnings enrolled at USC, the school paid a total of $400 so Donnings could receive tutoring at Midlands Tech. The school reported the incident to the NCAA in September 2001, but erred in allowing Donnings to play that season before the NCAA had ruled on his eligibility. Donnings sat out the first two games of the 2003 season, and made restitution of the $400. The school had erroneously computed the amount Donnings was required to donate to charity in its original report.

USC sports information director Kerry Tharp said the violations involving Weaver and Donnings were discovered during an internal investigation the school launched nearly two years ago in conjunction with the NCAA’s ongoing preliminary investigation of the Gamecocks’ athletics program.

“I think at the time we were just going back and doing some checking and discovered that these two particular issues needed to be addressed,†Tharp said Friday.

The school’s other three secondary violations during the seven-month period were:

• On July 2, USC reported that several international students from multiple teams competed before having a university certification official sign an NCAA-required document.

• On Oct. 30, the school noted that its media relations department publicized the men’s basketball team’s scrimmage against Charlotte by listing it on the athletics department Web site and in the media guide. The NCAA prohibits schools from publicizing preseason scrimmages.

• On Nov. 19, USC acknowledged that a cross-country runner received a discount on the purchase of five fruit smoothies. The total restitution in that case was $5, Tharp said.

Tharp added that eligibility was restored in each case where it was in question.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smazza

• E.T.

• bulls96go

• The Sheriff