Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

9 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

UCONN using the same strategy yet they are mentioned consistently as a candidate.

If USF gets passed over during the next round of realignment....Judy and Harlan will have to answer for setting this university back.

As 84 mentioned, UConn has a national brand, as does BYU and Boise and it's only natural the media to include them in the wild ass guessing. Plus, UConn's NOT using the same strategy ...

As we discussed earlier, there is no chance that UConn isn’t trying to get into a P5 conference. The university has taken out advertisements in Big 12 country and seeped into New York with its UConn 6th Borough campaign. Those efforts are about elevating UConn’s brand. They’re about telling people within the Big 12 footprint what UConn is about and, more importantly, what UConn can deliver. That includes TV sets in New York City, the nation’s top media market, which is especially significant given that the Big 12 likely has its eye on a conference network.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

51 minutes ago, Triple B said:

As 84 mentioned, UConn has a national brand, as does BYU and Boise and it's only natural the media to include them in the wild ass guessing. Plus, UConn's NOT using the same strategy ...

As we discussed earlier, there is no chance that UConn isn’t trying to get into a P5 conference. The university has taken out advertisements in Big 12 country and seeped into New York with its UConn 6th Borough campaign. Those efforts are about elevating UConn’s brand. They’re about telling people within the Big 12 footprint what UConn is about and, more importantly, what UConn can deliver. That includes TV sets in New York City, the nation’s top media market, which is especially significant given that the Big 12 likely has its eye on a conference network.

That's a pretty nice sales job they are trying.  I live in CT, just outside NYC.  Other than ladies basketball (and the men when they are doing things on the national level) UCONN has very little media presence here and certainly not much of one at all in the NY market.  In Fairfield County we get TV from Hartford, New Haven, but our primary stations come out of NYC.  The NY stations (TV or Radio for that matter) don't even give UCONN game results on a regular basis.  No way are they bringing the NY market.Basketball in the NY market is about St. Johns and Syracuse and football is more about Syracuse and a little Rutgers if they are competitive.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

Let me throw this out, since we are talking a little about UConn. If the Big 12 were to take 3 or 4 AAC school and UConn wasn't one of them. They should drop out of the AAC and beg their way into the Big East, then let their football either be an independent or a football only member of the MAC (like Temple and UCF used to be)

I would also worry if the AAC lost 3 to 4 members that Navy would want out. 

Editing to add, if UConn went Big East and needed a football only home, I said MAC or Independent, but AAC might keep them too. It will be hurting for quality schools at that point. 

Edited by Mike Stuben

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Sorry, I just don't see Memphis getting in.  For years, Memphis was rumored to be a Big East candidate.  The whole FedEx thing came up, and how much FedEx money would pour into the program and the Big East if Memphis was added to the BE.  And the BE passed over Memphis time and again.

Only after the BE implosion was Memphis able to work its way into the AAC, as one of the last choices.  I can't see Memphis jumping over everyone to suddenly be a top choice of the B12.  Though I guess stranger things have happened.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

Honest question: what is the standard by which the conferences determine inclusion/non-inclusion as a "power" conference?  Ability to participate in the playoff?  TV contracts?  Blue-bloodedness?  Combination?  Combination plus?  

Hard to achieve a goal when you don't know what precisely the goal is, other than "so-and-so has good attendance, so-and-so is in a good market, etc."

I hate how "big brother" (current  P5 schools) currently controls the terms of the debate.  I genuinely couldn't care less what OU or other schools think about USF as an institution - except when it comes to this expansion beauty pageant.  Is it possible to achieve P6 status without playing their "game"?  

While I want USF to compete at the highest possible level and bring in as much $$$ as possible, I do question whether the Big XII is really a good long-term solution for our school.  I'd rather stay in our conference IF it were otherwise equivalent in terms of money, competitiveness, prestige (I recognize it currently isn't)...

I guess my point is that maybe the primary goal should be to improve the AAC's cache.  I guess it's currently several of our conference members' Plan B, but maybe if an achievable standard were in place and well known it could become our conference's Plan A.  Proactive leadership and a true commitment to our own conference could make a difference.

Just a few humble thoughts.  I don't follow this stuff closely.

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

4 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Honest question: what is the standard by which the conferences determine inclusion/non-inclusion as a "power" conference?  Ability to participate in the playoff?  TV contracts?  Blue-bloodedness?  Combination?  Combination plus?  

Hard to achieve a goal when you don't know what precisely the goal is, other than "so-and-so has good attendance, so-and-so is in a good market, etc."

I hate how "big brother" (current  P5 schools) currently controls the terms of the debate.  I genuinely couldn't care less what OU or other schools think about USF as an institution - except when it comes to this expansion beauty pageant.  Is it possible to achieve P6 status without playing their "game"?  

While I want USF to compete at the highest possible level and bring in as much $$$ as possible, I do question whether the Big XII is really a good long-term solution for our school.  I'd rather stay in our conference IF it were otherwise equivalent in terms of money, competitiveness, prestige (I recognize it currently isn't)...

I guess my my point is that maybe the primary goal should be to improve the AAC's cache.  I guess it's currently our conference member's Plan B, but maybe if an achievable standard were in place and well known it could become our conference's Plan A.  Proactive leadership and a commitment to our own conference could make the difference.

1.  Guaranteed access to one of the New Year's 6 bowls.

2.  Mega $$ TV contracts.

3.  Part of the "autonomy" group of conferences. (Ability to make rules without input from the other leagues).

If under a pipe dream, Aresco could somehow achieve these, AAC could move up to power status.

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,566
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, mark_my_words said:

This is really the Big East 2.0.  

Totally disagree.  

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

3 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Totally disagree.  

At this rate, it would be the BE 2.0

Edited by Bear

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

15 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I guess my point is that maybe the primary goal should be to improve the AAC's cache.  I guess it's currently several of our conference members' Plan B, but maybe if an achievable standard were in place and well known it could become our conference's Plan A.  Proactive leadership and a true commitment to our own conference could make a difference.

Be in one of the Power 5 conferences.  These were designated by NCAA legislation, and they sort of have their own set of rules.  Right now there is no way for a school or conference outside of the Power 5 to gain entry, except to convince one of those conferences to let you in.

You could fill a stadium of 100,000 people every game, win every game against every opponent for five years running including the best of the teams from the Power 5 conferences.  And still, if they don't want to let you in you won't get in.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

^ That's ridiculous and seems to me to be the real problem here.  Not that identifying the problem helps us in any way, unless we and/or many other similarly situated institutions try to change things via political pressure, legislation, lawsuits, etc.

Edited by TallyBull